Advice VPNs - who's using one?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Who's using one (paid or unpaid) and who do you recommend going with?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Wow, expensive. Can someone explain to a novice what the difference is between the services mentioned above?

old.user4556

Think deebs meant €54 a year.

Would also like to know the diff in services.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes, sorry, meant a year, edited my post to reflect.

So basically, port forwarding allows the servers you are connected to to forward ports (much like an inbound NAT), so it can be used for eg torrenting, hosting a webserver, mail server etc.

Three concurrent connections allows say my PC, my phone and something else to connect to the VPN service at the same time. However I do not use it for that, my firewall connects to 3 different servers and sends traffic out over all three depending on my rules I have.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Or just not pay and torrent anyway.

old.user4556

Or just not pay and torrent anyway.

Possibly, I've reached a point in life where I want to get away from this 'digital tattoo' culture and thus want to increase privacy and anonymity.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There are more and more reasons for using a VPN, especially with a Tory government.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Meh. You hand over control of logging what you're doing to private companies that are setup in <whereever> and could very well be doing <whatever> with your data, and paying for the privilege.

old.user4556

Meh. You hand over control of logging what you're doing to private companies that are setup in <whereever> and could very well be doing <whatever> with your data, and paying for the privilege.

It's a very, very good and important point. You just shift the "logging" elsewhere. Express VPN state that they have absolutely no logging and privacy is their first thing on their agenda. That is until cyber snackbars starting using VPNs in droves, then we'll see how private they really are.

I've got mixed opinions.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's a very, very good and important point. You just shift the "logging" elsewhere. Express VPN state that they have absolutely no logging and privacy is their first thing on their agenda. That is until cyber snackbars starting using VPNs in droves, then we'll see how private they really are..
Do you trust a private individual who's in it for profit is what I'm saying...

...I know I don't. For lots of reasons.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't think @Moriath has heard about the snoopers charter, or at least he supports it.

Its also not about hiding my tracks personally but not giving people authority to use my user data for anything. There is no way to opt out but to use a VPN. I opt out of ads and I will be opting out of geographical data collection too (When I get around to sorting a VPN out)

I see no reason that anyone should track my web use, it is absolutely nobodies business and I opt out.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
When you grow up you understand that freedoms in this life are mostly illusions and in fact if the government was tory, labour, snp or any of them. The abilities and laws to search and control the public would be similar.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Nonsense, I literally do whatever I like, my moral compass pretty much matches the law of the land and the only crime I commit is a bit of weed now and again, and I doubt po-po would give a shit about a couple of 8ths a month these days.

This isn't about keeping tabs on me as an individual, I am not egotistical enough to think anyone cares what I do day-to-day but I choose to opt out of mass data collection, there is no need for it. However. I do think it is the thin end of the wedge, today it is keeping a record of every email and electronic message I send, tomorrow it is the contents and frankly, fuck that, thanks.

Its not just government either, I don't participate in advertising or marketing and I see no reason for them to monitor me, anonymously or not so the only way is to politely say, no ta, VPN.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You are free to drive to work as long as you dont speed. You are free to work as long as you pay tax. Your free to say anything as long as you dont offend any one.

Your free within a prescribed boundary. Which is the law. The snoopers charter is an extension of the law to take into account the way people can exchange ideas and information that may be used to break the law.

From what i understand they can keep the information but only really look at individuals patterns or use if they become a suspect for doing something against the law.

So if you arnt worried about the law then you have nothing to worry about by the information they can retain.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You aren't a student of history then, got it.

old.user4556

You are free to drive to work as long as you dont speed. You are free to work as long as you pay tax. Your free to say anything as long as you dont offend any one.

Your free within a prescribed boundary. Which is the law. The snoopers charter is an extension of the law to take into account the way people can exchange ideas and information that may be used to break the law.

From what i understand they can keep the information but only really look at individuals patterns or use if they become a suspect for doing something against the law.

So if you arnt worried about the law then you have nothing to worry about by the information they can retain.

Let me put it a particular way: would you be happy for an anonymous government person to track your every physical move? Where you go, what you do, who with, what you say, what you wear, how you feel, what you spend, what you spend it on, where you're going next, flag if you go near someone with a criminal record (regardless of how small and petty) - all day, every day. That data profile of you is all stored somewhere indefinitely, possibly vulnerable to exploitation by advertising or indeed criminals. You're ok with that because you're not breaking any laws?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
*sigh* - he's autistic. He loves the rules.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Let me put it a particular way: would you be happy for an anonymous government person to track your every physical move? Where you go, what you do, who with, what you say, what you wear, how you feel, what you spend, what you spend it on, where you're going next, flag if you go near someone with a criminal record (regardless of how small and petty) - all day, every day. That data profile of you is all stored somewhere indefinitely, possibly vulnerable to exploitation by advertising or indeed criminals. You're ok with that because you're not breaking any laws?
Its inevertable. If i like it or not i think it will happen either way. The fact that its stored doesnt mean any one is looking at it tho. Theres too much data for anyone to keep an eye on everyone.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
There is now, but like I said, its the thin end of the wedge. May in particular is desperate to know what you are doing, when and who with.

I like to think we live in a pretty decent society where the vast majority of people behave, there is no need to know what people are doing or who they are in contact with.

Now, I have absolutely no problem with the police or government keeping tabs on suspects of a crime, so long as any information is disposed of (properly) if it is found that no crime has been committed.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@Moriath - keeping databases on people is anti-democratic. It hands too much power to a state. If at some point in your life you do something interesting - like organise a peaceful demonstration march against something the state is doing that you don't like - i.e. exercise your normal democratic right of protest - then history proves states DO look you up and use anything they've got against you, no matter how flimsy, no matter how they have to twist it to use it.

The biggest danger to any democratic society isn't terrorism - it's the transformation of a state from one that is stable and representative to one that is authoritarian.

Ours has been on that slippery slope for a long time.

Last edited:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
ExpressVPN was one that seems to be getting the thumbs up - how long have you been with them? Any issues?
About 2 years, no issues at all. Some great tools and can even set their VPN tunnel up in my Asus Router.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Apple in screwing its customers shocker.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
The Foods Standards Agency is one of the authorised bodies permitted to access our data.

It's not all national security

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom