VNC Query

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Is it possible to use a VNC connection to play games on a less powerful machine using say a highpowered desktop as a host? Obviously gfx would be limited at the client end... and you'd need a fairly robust network link but is it possible?

I only ask cause I have a nice shiny desktop and was thinking about linking an old crummy laptop or miniitx system up to it so that i dont have to be in a different room to my housemates (who mostly have laptops) when wer ebusy beating each other to death with sniper rifles.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Unfortunately anything beyond the 2d joys of Freecell and Solitaire just won't work fella, VNC basically sends screen captures of updated portions of the screen and only then from the 2D buffer, i.e. the windows desktop. It won't even be aware of Direct3D or OpenGL applications which technically render on top.

If you were to try this you'll either end up seeing a black screen, or force the pc running the game back to the desktop.

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Not really, the CPU load grabbing full screen images at 30fps and compressing them would be huge, rendering the game unplayable anyhoo.

Which might be why noone's bothered doing it ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom