Vista v XP Disk/files are read only/write protected

Tilda

Hi all,

Upgraded from xp to vista about a month ago.
Have a HDD I used under xp, not formatted when I upgraded as only used for general file storage.
I can copy thing to and from it fine, but when I come to install a game to it, or set my documents (which are on it) as the place to download photos from my camera too, it suddenly decides thats not allowed.

I am running an administrator account,
I have ensured that all accounts and user accounts have full rights,
I have tried with the ownership of the harddrive set to both my username, and members of the administrators group as a whole,
I have tried the run command: "attrib /s -r E:\*.*" both in normal vista and in safe mode, and both of the above with the UAC enabled and disabled.

It seems no matter what I try, all files are marked as read only.
So today I thought well lets try copying everything off it, formatting it under vista and copying things back.
I try to format and apparently the disk is write protected too!

What do I do so I can install stuff to my damn hard drive! :D

Tilda

just noticed, all folders on all 3 of my drives are infact set as read only, but this doesn't seem to stop me installing things on my C:

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Are they "ticked" as read only or do they have a colored read only box ?

Colored read only box just indicates some special property on the folder. Icon or fast search indexing or something. Just click advanced if this is the case and it will tell you.

If they Ticked as read only, (best way to check is cmd and attrib <full folder path> should return somit like "R <folder path>") then its prob inherited from from somewhere.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Are they "ticked" as read only or do they have a colored read only box ?

Urm, Bob - it's 2008 man. The preferred term is African-American read only box.

Sorry, couldn't resist :)

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
also, privileged commands run from a terminal will do bloody fa if UAC is on, regardless of you being administrator or not.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
omg, spelt it "colored" to, i feel dirty, some mod want to change it, Coloured please :p

OK< back on topic now worst match ever in euro 2k8 is over.

If is it read only and not just "African-American read only" make sure you member of Admin group and UAC off. Then go to control panel, folder, view and scroll down the list. Near the bottom is a box checked that says "Show simple file and shareing (recommended)" Turn it off.

Go to ya D: drive and make a folder, Click properties on folder and click the "new" tab, Security. From here click advanced and in the new window uncheck "Inherit from parent bla bla bla snip" add Adminstrators and creator/owners as full control. Try saving stuff here now. If it works then you inheriting from D: its self, You need to return to my computer, right click D: then click properties and again with the "new" security tab and check the permissions in there.

Tilda

Bob, I have a "Use sharing wizard"? but no "show simple file and sharing" option. Unless that appears after turning off the UAC?
Running Windows Vista Business 64x

Bob007

Prince Among Men
For vista it should* be control p[anel, switch to classic, folder options, "view" tab then "advanced" should be in there.

if thats where you are. try that and see if you get a Security tab when you do properties on a folder. Security in basicaly NTFS permissions.

* working from vague memory, don't have vista VM or Box up atm.

Tilda

Ok, the test with the little file worked ok in so far as I could set my camera pictures to save there so I presume a game would have installed there had I told it to.
What settings should I set up in D: then?

atm everyone, system, administrators and users all have full control, not inherited for this folder subfolders etc. Creator Owner has Special permission for subfolders and files only.
Should inherit still be turned off? Who should be able to do what?
Can I then turn UAC back on after?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
You'll have to play about with UAC sry, As said, don;t have box to test. As for the rest, its down to you now.

What i do surgest is you make a new folder with D: inhertence off and see what permissions are set on that.

Looking at what you've listed for D: permissions tho, i can't see why you are blocked.
System, administrators and creator/owners should have full control.
users should have read and execute, read, list folder contents then 2 specials, Create files/write data and create folders/append data.

Making a folder promotes a user to creator owner of that folder so permissions elavate for there own creations.

Everyone group is a bit touch and go, basicaly means anyone who gains access to ya system so kinda funky. I'd say leave that as is for ease of use. Don't want to get to deep ;)

Tilda

Am off to the airport in 30 mins so will play around with this when I get back, thanks Bob :D

Bob007

Prince Among Men
OK Now have a Vista VM up and running, sooo errr. forget everything i said, 90% of its bollocks. Well its not, but theres easier ways. Resore all the inhiretence then turn on UAC and log into vista wid ya admin account.(Add a password to this account to if it don't have 1. )

Go to Computer and right click C: hit properties and go to Security. Hit the Advanced Button. Find Users in the list and click Edit. In new window click Users again and edit. Click Full control. Click OK once and check the box "Replace all existing inherited snip... hit OK again. Now due to UAC running you going to get refused for protected areas, which should be C:\Program files and C:\Windows. Just click Continue to carry on.

Repeat same for D: as theres no OS here you should only see 1 or 2 refusals.

Now control panel and switch to classic view, open Administrative Tools and then open Computer management. Expand Local Users and Group and Open Users. Make yaself a new User account as a standard User. Log into this and try dropping some folders on the root of C: and also in Program Files. First 1 should work, Program Files should request Admin password, try same for D:

This should allow you full control access to none protected areas while still maintaining UAC protection for protected areas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom