Help Vista networking issue, help me obi wan!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Just got a new laptop, it has vista64 home premium on it. I've been using it for an hour and it's on my nerves already. So many pop ups. I feel like Im playing wack a mole when I change any settng.

Secondly, and more importantly, I am unable to connect to my router, a D-LINK WBR 1310

My wireless card is a built in Intel Wifi 5100 thigymagic

I am running latest drivers on wireless card, directly from Intel. I also upgraded my routers firmware with vista compatible drivers.

Basically, I connect to any network (my own or some of the unsecured ones), and I can put in a key if it's secure. Then it comes back the router did not respond.

Stuff I've done:
Uninstalled the norton anti virus shite that came with my pc
Turned off all firewall, defender, internet settings, etc
Uninstalled device, reinstalled, with both vista and xp drivers
Turned security on router off totally.

No luck.

We have 4 other laptops in the apartment, running XP home, XP pro, Vista 32bit

All connect without any problems, so I'm thinking I'm missing something with regards to built in vista security, or my wireless card is bust.

I am already fed up with Vista and will most likely be installing XP if I cant get this sorted over the weekend, at least I'll know what I'm doing and wont get resolution changing pop ups every few seconds.

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
It could be the Vista SFI bug raising it's head.

In an Administrator elevated command prompt
(Start > All Programs > Accessories > Right click on Command Prompt > Run as Administrator)
enter this...
Code:
netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled
Hopefully your wifi will work properly after that.

As for the UAC popups, I just killed them.
Start > Control Panel > Security Centre > Open "Other Internet Settings" section > Click the button to disable UAC

So it's supposed to help prevent your machine running bad software? MS shouldn't have made it so intrusive. Linux distros require elevation to perform system tasks and yet their authorisation requests are nowhere near as intrusive as Vista's. Thankfully you can tweak the notification level in Windows 7 to a more reasonable level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom