Vista and cut & paste

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've been saddled with Windows Vista Home via a laptop bought for one of my sons, tonight I came very close to wiping it and putting XP on it.

The biggest problem is that cut and paste take aaaaaages, specifically the cut, this is in the bundled Microsoft Works. I'm not sure if it is actually Works that is the problem and not Vista and I'm considering putting Open Office on as a replacement.

It just seems that normally Vista is okay, but some operations take forever, on our one the Switch User takes 2/3 minutes to get back to the login screen, and then we have the notorious network copy 9600 baud modem emulation.

has anyone heard of this cut/paste problem ? Any solutions ?

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
Vista has problems with most forms of file migration in general. I believe it's being partially addressed in SP1 which is currently available as a Release Candidate. I wouldn't advise installing the RC though, as it'll be a pain to get out when the service pack is due relatively soon.

I'd definitely consider binning works and using Open Office instead, as Works is....well to be frank....total crap.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I'll second that. They're not issues I have myself - wife uses Office and I use Openoffice (it's a bit slower than proper Office but I just prefer it - office has too many annoying snags - especially Excel which stupidly forgets the contents of the clipboard as soon as you paste it once)

Bear with Vista that little bit longer - I've got the SP installed on a VM and it does seem to have improved a few little niggles, won't put it on the main system just yet though. It won't be long before the proper SP1 is out.

soze

I am a FH squatter
The beta of SP1 has really bitch slapped this problem cut and paste is much quicker and it starts to move the files right away then does the time bit rather than waiting for the time to start. If you want to make a MSDN account it might be worth trying.

I do run the Beta SP1 at work. From everything i have read the Beta will update to the full SP1 via automatic updates as and when. but it seems most would rather wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom