Vista 1.88 - poll

Is Daoc working with you're version of Vista?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ashenshugar

Fledgling Freddie
Just popped my head in to say my Vista 64 system now has pink faces on the char select screen, and when its about to log char into game, it crashes.

Tried logging in toa , the char select screen had white faces and couldnt see the char names , and still crashed as char logs into game.

Posted on right now , thought I'd post here also, thought it may have been just my system .

:)

Aedelle

Fledgling Freddie
"So its stupid that they want to handle individual sitations seperatly.. instead of just putting us all in one giant pot and saying"

Well, it's nice if they have the people to handle each individual, but as it looks they don't. I can't think of any company who has the ressources to do that.

And there is a thread in german forum with 26 pages so far, just imagine all the complaints they have to answer through rightnow.

Almost forgot (that was in an answer a german guy got from GOA):
"Da gegenwärtig gem. Packungsbeilage explizit Windows XP als kompatibles Betriebssystem angegeben ist, wird es mit an wahrscheinlichkeit grenzender Sicherheit auch keine Ausfalltage geben."
--> Translation: Cos it says compatible OS Windows XP on the game box, u will most possibly not get any refund

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Isn't this the sort of bug that probably would've been caught if we still had Gorre as a testing server?

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
Nah sadly not even having gorre wood have see this one coming

Also its true that it says that i the box of every daoc out there, cus.. atm they cant really say Vista compatiable now can they? hehe, no but really, Daoc was brought out when XP was ruling the scene (granted atm its still ruling but there is a new OS here now)

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
I bought Vista Home Premium today, 32-bit.

Just for gaming and some video editing as that's what Windows is only good for from my perspective.

A full development stack is much nicer with Linux and despite smallish problems 64-bit runs smooth on Linux, it might be because most stuff is available with its source and that it has been adapted to 64-bit.

You can't expect a 32-bit app like DAoC to run on a 64-bit OS without minor changes. They programmed and tested DaoC on different environments than those that are available now..

What you can expect though from a company that is runs a MMORPG and that is supposed to compete with WoW with their next MMORPG to have updates ready as soon as the next generation Microsoft OS comes out so the game runs on it, be it 32 or 64 bit versions.

If you ask me, the whole DirectX was a bad idea. I remember when there was something like a real competition for such programming APIs and how a lot of game studios complained that Windows is taking 3-5% of the CPU in comparison to DOS.

I also don't like it that heavy companies are allowed to enter new markets with earnings from different market segments. Anti trust laws should be different, a company that started with developing 3D-APIs shouldn't be stomped into ground by Microsoft only because they decided to monopolize the video gaming market for PCs and bind it to their OS.

I hope that someone will force them to open DirectX to the degree that MacOS and Linux can run it natively. Not that they should be forced to implement it, but there should be such a possibility and that whole Cedega/Wine stuff ain't so hot.

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
aye i must agree with that point of view, it is total bullshit what microsoft gets away with in issues like that, they arent above the law and they should be treated the same as everybody else

Also with the point about "how a lot of game studios complained that Windows is taking 3-5% of the CPU in comparison to DOS."
I can totaly picture everybody running on dos just to get the few resorces back lol, omg a common CLP like dos being used to run things like daoc... id LOVE to see that i really wood

Lorimez Shadowblade

Fledgling Freddie
Just popped my head in to say my Vista 64 system now has pink faces on the char select screen, and when its about to log char into game, it crashes.

Tried logging in toa , the char select screen had white faces and couldnt see the char names , and still crashed as char logs into game.

Posted on right now , thought I'd post here also, thought it may have been just my system .

:)

You are not alone! This is what has happened exactly to me :(

We hold a small light that this may be fixed before the weekend . . .

/bow

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
I got work from goa earlyer thismorning

Basicly they are working desperatly to try get it fixed before the weekend, as they know we all want to play during the weekend, cus "big" things will be happening
They did disclose ANY technical information at all, which is to be exspected (cus they arent allowed to) but they are in close quarters with mythic on this trying there hardest to get it done and dusted

Altho i do hope they give a step by step guild for he computer noobs, but if they dont (as i stated in the other thread) ill give a helping hand to anybody that needs it

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
leviathane said:
foolish of me to buy a machine which has vista as standard due to the genius that is microsoft making it the "new" opertating system. Yes stupid me.

If you bought any "off the shelf" PC without being able to specify what came with it then yes you were actually quite foolish. I'm fairly sure that most shops if you asked would of installed XP on it for you.

Aedelle said:
I pay for not being able to play

While I understand this is frustrating for you i'm fairly sure that the DAoC box doesn't state that it's Vista compatible.
If I bought a Commodore 64 then screamed and shouted that I couldn't play DAoC on it but I was paying subs i'd imagine everyone would laugh at me and rightly so. By installing an operating system that wasn't listed as supported on the box then you've only got yourself to blame at the end of the day.
Next people will be wanting subs back from GOA when their brother formats the PC and they need to take it back to the shop to get fixed.
It's in GOA's best interest to fix the problem ASAP ofc and to let people know what's going on, but assuming it's their fault you can't play isn't really correct. Should they delay a patch for everyone else to make sure it works on something they haven't claimed supports it? Well I imagine people will have mixed opinions about that.. Claiming Mythic have the magic code to fix it already is also something that only people with no idea how computers work would say. They might do, but it's far from guaranteed.

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
^^^^^^
U love that post :D nicely put

I mean the one ABOVE the lame attempt to increase post count

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
If you bought any "off the shelf" PC without being able to specify what came with it then yes you were actually quite foolish. I'm fairly sure that most shops if you asked would of installed XP on it for you.

While I understand this is frustrating for you i'm fairly sure that the DAoC box doesn't state that it's Vista compatible.
If I bought a Commodore 64 then screamed and shouted that I couldn't play DAoC on it but I was paying subs i'd imagine everyone would laugh at me and rightly so. By installing an operating system that wasn't listed as supported on the box then you've only got yourself to blame at the end of the day.
Next people will be wanting subs back from GOA when their brother formats the PC and they need to take it back to the shop to get fixed.
It's in GOA's best interest to fix the problem ASAP ofc and to let people know what's going on, but assuming it's their fault you can't play isn't really correct. Should they delay a patch for everyone else to make sure it works on something they haven't claimed supports it? Well I imagine people will have mixed opinions about that.. Claiming Mythic have the magic code to fix it already is also something that only people with no idea how computers work would say. They might do, but it's far from guaranteed.

the whole point of 1.88 was to make DAOC tha ol' dog of a game vista compatible, seems somewhere between mythic and GOA a turd has got lose and fucked it all up, the English cluster can go piss up the wall for all GOA cares but well well the Germans are having trouble by the sounds of it.

You don't upset that many customers, granted they should have tested a bit better, what happen'd to eyes and ears testing stuff, surely wasn't that hard to find someone with vista and run it for a while.

Lets hope GOA's rush to bring us 1.88 doesn't cause another database fuck up.

For those looking for a Reason to play US when WAR hits hes another one to add to the list of many.

Eble

found this on the camelot herald:

Vista Issues Resolved

Posted By: Parizad Parav 2007-03-30 17:53:44

Players, put down your torches and pitchforks. There is no need to put the building on fire today. The Vista issue is now resolved. Vista users may now conquer and kill at will.

So DAOC is vista compatible in the US, oh who dropped the ball?>

VegetaFH1

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic dropped the ball tbh

If u read the reporter for Euro servers u will see that goa actually DID admit that they reseaved the prior-vista patch of the 1.88 update for the euro servers
So if u guys should be bashing anybody it should be mythic for not taking there thumbs outta there ass's and realizing they went the wrong update

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Mythic dropped the ball tbh

If u read the reporter for Euro servers u will see that goa actually DID admit that they reseaved the prior-vista patch of the 1.88 update for the euro servers
So if u guys should be bashing anybody it should be mythic for not taking there thumbs outta there ass's and realizing they went the wrong update

Ok good for the vista guys, I redirect my anger to Mythic and go to bed.

Eble

thergador

Fledgling Freddie
just quick point does the daoc box say vista compatible or the
windiws-vista-ready.jpg

if not then mythic/goa dont have to support it, they have said they will get it sorted. so give them time

it like saying doac don't work on my mac or unix for those that have vista may-be try a duel boot system or google vista problems

the later is how many people got daoc to run on vista

example of things to try
compatibility mode
Try running it in XP compatibility mode in vista try under admin user as well(this worked for me)

Configuring UAC

To configure UAC options, either run 'Local Security Policy' from Admistrative Tools, or enter secpol.msc in the Start Menu Search Bar and press Enter.

1. Disable switching to the Secure Desktop for UAC prompts:
Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options ->
User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation - Set to Disabled
Now, when you get UAC prompts, the screen won't go grey, the UAC prompts will use the Aero theme, and you can still operate many other programs without needing to respond to the UAC prompt:
Image Reduced
Attached Image
(281.6k)

2. Change UAC behaviour
Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options ->
User Account Control: Behaviour of the elevation prompt....
You can configure UAC to either:
(Administrators:)
- Elevate without prompting
- Prompt for Consent
- Prompt for Credentials
(Standard Users):
- Prompt for Credentials
- Automatically deny elevation requests.

Using this setting, you can control how much of an intrusion UAC is without completely turning it off.

Enable Administrator Acount
Right click on ''Computer -> Manage -> Local Users and Groups -> Users
-> Rightclick Administrator -> Properties -> Uncheck ''Acount is disabled''.
If you want your Administrator acount as the only primairy acount.
Rightclick on Your Username -> Delete.

With the Administrator Acount you don't have UAC or any other things you can't change or edit. Full Privileges

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I play on the US servers, and the vista patch worked fine for me. !.89 is a little more annoying as it breaks custom UI's, although by the time the euro servers get it, I'm sure a lot of UI's will have been upgraded :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom