Virus warning

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Hi there :)

I keep getting told by my virus software (AVG) That I have a virus on my system. I Did have a vrus on my system and I have got rid of it. Well at least I thought I had.

All my virus definitions are up to date and its really baffeling me. All the virus scans I am doing come up with nothing.

The weird thing is, AVG tells me about this virus being in a certian location and that folder from what I can see dont exist! I have all folders showing including hidden and even done a search for it. Please help me :(

Thanks

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Two things spring to mind - check you've emptied your "Recycle Bin" (yes, that's a long shot, but easy to try), and try another scanner. It's possible AVG has left a bit of a virus behind...

The Trend micro web-based scanner is pretty good:

http://housecall.antivirus.com

If you haven't used it, it's an ActiveX control, so surf to it in IE.

Hope that helps...

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Right thanks for the help.

I have emptied my recycle bin and did the checker with the trend. Still nothing :wij: Its really a baffling one

Anyway thanks for the try :)

Oh and if it help its a worm.bereb.b virus, I think thats how its spelt, I got it when I opend a email :(

Its a crafty fooker too, it adds another sub directory with inviting zips, for people on p2p, which may I add do not use.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I have the same problem. It says I've got a worm in a folder which doesn't seem to exist (System Restore Information, I think).

Scans come up with nothing.

And I'm using AVG.

Lam

Fledgling Freddie
Did you have another virus scanner installed on your system before.

It happened to me in the past that a new virusscanner detected a virus on my hd in an unknown folder. I was scanning with Norton Antivirus at the time but had Mcafee installed before.

I just went into the registry and manually deleted all mcafee related registry keys and cleaned my hd of all mcafee related files and Norton no longer indicated I had a virus.

Since you say it's in a folder with System Restore in it's name this could be your problem as well since Windows keeps track of previously installed programs in there.

Another thing that might be the case is that the virus you had left some traces in a System Restore folder.
I would try to disable the System Restore function then and delete all the restore files. That might solve your problem.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds like a virus infected file got backed up into the system restore. You'll need to turn it of as previously mentioned and scan again.

The link is aimed at Norton av, but the procedure for turning off System restore, and then being able to scan this 'normally protected by windows from the scanner' bit of hard disk, should still work.

Cannot repair, quarantine, or delete a virus found in the _RESTORE or System volume information folder
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2000092513515106

or this;

Description for disabling restore function for Windows XP
http://www.grisoft.com/faq/us_faqtext.php?id=56&sid=25

Tom

I am a FH squatter
hehe Darth, you should work for Symantec the number of viri you get hold of :)

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
It was teh missus that downloaded this one! Honest! :D

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Because the connection at home for us is shared by the TechNation mail server we decided a while back to set up a Win2k3 active directory and install Symantec Antivirus Corporate across all the client PCs...

My flatmates, who are about as technically capable as my mum, who is 60 years old and very dyslexic, had never previously used any form of AV and I was keen to make sure before they went onto the same LAN as the exchange box that their PCs were rendered sterile...

It took three passes on one of the machines to clean away all the nasties, 'blended threat' doesn't quite describe the mishmash of malicious code they'd picked up in a year long stint of carefree kazaa-ing. Between the two boxes there were 244 infections care of 41 different viruses. After cleaning them up both are still working fine which is pretty impressive, I'm beginning to think that all those virii hit some kind of critical mass, rendering one another inert, heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom