Help Virtual server app?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Can anyone recommend a decent and idiot proof virtual server program?

I'm going to start learning PHP and my mate recommended "wamp" but that fucking prgram confuses me, there's no user guide and the forums are useless.

Remember I'm a complete n00b at this. Basic knowledge of Networking and such and a basic knowledge of HTML. Just need a server program I can upload my PHP files to for viewing.

Ta.

Access Denied

Then I guess I need someone to show me how it works because I can't find an option to upload files. Also phpmyadmin is now telling me it can't run without errors. Fuck it all.

Kryten

Old Cow.
WAMP is easy enough to set up and get running but unless you already know what you're doing with web servers and PHP anyway, it's fairly pointless on it's own.

There's a good few ebooks available, some detail the use of WAMP and similar setups to compliment.

If by virtual server you also meant a virtual machine then just grab Virtual Box, that's definitely nice and easy and you wont have to worry about installing services on your live PC.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Then I guess I need someone to show me how it works because I can't find an option to upload files. Also phpmyadmin is now telling me it can't run without errors. Fuck it all.
Just run a local server and put the file in the dir manually ...?

Genedril

Part of the furniture
I use:

VMWare

and the documentation is :

here

tbh I've never read the documentation as I find it a piece of pish but it's what I muck around with for a living so I'd hope that I did. Not as easy as using a proper HV like vSphere but it's still more than adequate for testing stuff at home.

You are asking for Virtual Server stuff and not how to run your stuff on a VM right?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
virtualbox, plus any preconfigured LAMP / similar. at the risk of sounding like a dweeb....real internet servers don't run doze. enhance your skills and learn to be flexible.

Access Denied

I just want something that will allow me to view what I'm writing as if it was actually online. Maybe ecompassing the scripting tool so if i want to edit it all I do when finished is press a button and the page automatically updates.

Access Denied

Like I said, this is all new to me. I work for Tesco and don't really want to be so if I can learn this and get a portfolio maybe I can get in with a web-design company.

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Well VM will enable you to install any server you like (though I have struggled to make it run AS/400's - probably 'cause I'm not sure what I'm doing with an AS/400 though). You can also set up a virtual network and have a virtual box (PC / nix) connect to it so you can see wtf you're doing. If you're really smart then set up the 'test' vm pc's with multiple browsers so you don't 'lock in' your pages to IE.

If you've no real server experience then start on a Windows box before you try doing clever stuff on a nix box. They're easier for the uninitated (though if you want to do it properly then it's nix all the way).

JingleBells

FH is my second home
Why are you bothering with VMs, talk about over complicating the issue.

1) Install WAMP
2) Check it works by going to http://localhost in your webbrowser
3) Place PHP files in document root, this'll be something like c:\Program Files\WAMP\Apache\htdocs (no idea on WAMP folder structure)
4) Test they work by going to http://localhost/myphpfile.php (or whatever it's called)
5) ???
6) Profit

Genedril

Part of the furniture
Dunno - he asked for it..... I'm not even sure what he's trying to do but he asked for a Virtual Server program.

If he just wants to install something to run a webserver on locally then the above should work fine.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
The Uniform Server

It's a WAMP setup (Windows, Apache, mySQL, PHP) that's done in a portable application setting so it's very unlikely you'll screw it up.

Access Denied

Success! Finally figured out where to save the damn files so I can view them in FF. now I can get to actually learning something more complicated than Hellow World! =P

Thanks a bunch guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom