Virgin Media Fucktard Traffic Shaping :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
VM are applying traffic shaping as I'm apparently a heavy user. (Maybe heavier than average but not that heavy). This means at "peak" times I'm restricted. Which I'm not too bothered about.

But I'm restricted to about 15-20kb/sec :eek:

I'm not going to put up with this sort of shit connection speed if at all possible. So, what can you do to scupper traffic shaping? Theoretically...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
well, theoretically you could hack their account management and change it. tho i really REALLY isn't advising it ;)

but other then that, i dont think you can unless they were stupid enough to only restrict certain ports.

best way is to just get a different ISP that isnt using traffic shaping.

/edit: here's something that might help tho.. look at post 8.
http://www.techwatch.co.uk/forums/26747-virgin-traffic-shaping-download-cap-question.html

kirennia

Part of the furniture
The best bet is to contact them and say it's completely unworkable when you're...I dunno, a systems admin who needs fast access to work via the internet to sort out any problems that happen when you're on call.

If they're bottlenecking, it might be because during peak times you've been downloading or uploading too much. Then again, we started a new service on september the 1st with them for a 10mb line and from 6pm-12pm every weekday night we get throttled at random amounts. Sometimes we'll have a 4mb line, sometimes a 2mb line but interestingly, the way that they bottleneck us means that if you start up a torrent or start actually downloading a large file, you'll hit these targets but if you're just browsing the web, you're completely screwed.

This is one of those situations whereby the more you call, the more likely you are to get a better line during peak times. We just haven't yet as it's in our landlords name and he hasn't got around to doing it yet.../sigh

kirennia

Part of the furniture
Also worth noting, after having had no-one downloading in the house all day, I downloaded an update <coughs> at around 9pm and it started off fine at 1mb/sec, what we should be getting only to watch it after around 500mb of downloading, lowering itself to 240kb/sec and maintaining itself there. It seems the limiting is controlled around your total download for some period of time...whether it starts at 6pm or starts at the beginning of the day I don't know but I'm going to be testing it so I know what to tell the rest of the house... if in fact there is a way to best beat the system.

I'm with Virgin Media as well...forgot to mention that while typing, heh.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
So, what can you do to scupper traffic shaping? Theoretically...

Either upgrade your package to get one which has more generous download limits or switch ISP.

You should be getting more than 15-20kB/s though, VM cables lowest package is 2Mbit which gets reduced down to 1Mbit if you download too much. You'd easily get 100kB/s with 1Mbit.

Are you on Virgin Media ADSL? If so run away as fast as possible.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
maybe if its traffic shaping and bittorrent p2p, you can encrypt your traffic so their system can't recognise it - its a known workaround.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
When my download speeds were super slow I had a look outside. Those bastard BT engineers were physically squeezing the cables to choke my internets! Shot them with a tranq gun and sorted it out.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I am assuming you have a router Scouse, unplug that and try it without for a day or so. If its Netgear its more than likely the problem.

Other than that there is no way around this fucking joke. Doesn't say anything about contention on their adverts when they say how great optical fibre broadband is. I was always under the impression contention wasn't a problem with cable.

Virgin buying NTL is the worst thing ever to happen to the customers but unfortunately I have no other option due to the distance from my exchange.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
maybe if its traffic shaping and bittorrent p2p, you can encrypt your traffic so their system can't recognise it - its a known workaround.
If they paid more than 10p for their networking then encryption won't do diddly.

If you've gone over your limits etc. you've probably broken a fair use policy that you've agreed to in your contract - basically bend over and take it or move to another ISP.

Trem

If they paid more than 10p for their networking then encryption won't do diddly.

If you've gone over your limits etc. you've probably broken a fair use policy that you've agreed to in your contract - basically bend over and take it or move to another ISP.

I think when they first brought this in and if you were an existing NTL punter then you did have the option to get out of your contract, you possibly still can.

Either way Scouse should be getting more than he is even with 24/7 traffic shaping, I had exactly the same problem and it was my router, I didn't mind being throttled but it was stupidly slow, much better when I removed the router/bought a different one.

Give it a bash Scouse and report back.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
how good are be? ive been recomended them alot

preety much mifffed at vm on alot of things and am thinking of switching

Trem

how good are be? ive been recomended them alot

preety much mifffed at vm on alot of things and am thinking of switching

Be* are good if you are close to the exchange but you may well get a better deal with O2 broadband (supplied by *Be) especially if you have a phone with them or are looking to get a phone with them.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I am assuming you have a router Scouse, unplug that and try it without for a day or so. If its Netgear its more than likely the problem

I've got a linksys router with a good firmware on it. I may just get free adsl from Orange instead. It'll save me the cash I guess, but I know it's all BT bollocks anyway.

Looking about you can get hold of dodgy config files to apply to your modem to whack you up to 20meg down, 1meg up, but I'm not quite that dodgy...

Ah fuck it. Cheers for the advice chaps.

Trem

You need config files from your neck of the woods but not on your gateway, ain't as easy as you think. Mates on other side of town ftw.

Can you please just try your net without your router for a bit Scouse?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Can you please just try your net without your router for a bit Scouse?

Gah. Mebbe. It's also my firewall and I'm running about 5 PC's off the fucker...

Next time it happens I'll let you know ;)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Just ta update you - I know 3 people on VM connections and they're all getting the same...

Gah :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom