Views and Opinions

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
I am due to be married in June :) And my Wife to be has asked her brother to order me one of these.

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...n&oc=D04xp5&s=dhs&sbc=dimen_xps#bottom_anchor

I will be adding more ram to it so i get 2048 and the nvidia 6800 graphics card, but apart from that I am pretty clueless when it comes to computer specs in all honesty. I only use it for playing games so is this acceptable or is it silly money for a machine like this? any help would be greatlly appreciated.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
is it just me, or does the link take AGES to open?

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Calaen

It's a nice system for playing games, certainly, although I dare say you could perhaps find an equivalent cheaper elsewhere (you could build one yourself too, but if you're not too au fait with computers that's perhaps not top on the list of recommendations).

As for the specs, the default system seems nice. Most people knock the service down to a year and save a lot of money, but that's your call. Dell's RAM is very expensive, so if you're going to add more buy it from an online store rather than going with Dell (people here will no doubt offer advice about where to shop). The same cannot be said for the graphics cards, however. Whilst the standard GeForce 6800 is not slow, if you are going to upgrade Dell's prices for the 6800 Ultra or X850 XT PE are cheaper than you'd find in the shops (although the manufacturer of the cards isn't specified).

Other than that, you may wish to add some speakers and CD/DVD writer, and a 56k modem if you'll need one, but otherwise the standard spec should serve you well.

Just one thing, though, Dell are due to release the 'Gen 5' version of this machine in the not too distant future. It will add a few things, such as the option of dual-core Pentium processers, although whether you'll want to wait is down to you.

Kind Regards

Calaen

Jonty,

Thanks for the info, I will be getting the speakers and dvd writer i just thought id show the basic package for what it was. So if i just get the least amount of ram then purchase it elsewhere it will be cheaper. sounds very nice although I will be picking peoples brains as to where i get it and where from.

I have had a look for 1024MB PC-4200 Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz but the only ones i can see are in sticks of 512.

Calaen

Ch3tan said:

so if i buy those i would need to buy 4 for 2048 of memory to make it dual?

Found this just now am I right in thinking that i would get 2 X 1024 dual ram?

» 2Gb DDR2 PC-4200 OCZ Value Series Dual Channel kit
Manufacturer: OCZ Technology - Part number: OCZ25332048VDC-K - Warranty: Lifetime
(2x 1Gb DDR2-533 PC2-4200 240 pin modules), 240 pins, DDR2 DIMM, 533 MHz, CAS4, Rated 4-4-4-8. No heatspreaders, unbuffered, non-ECC, 1.8V. Full specifications, only for DDR2 motherboards Stock:
2-5 kits € 320.66
ex. VAT
€ 388.00
incl. VAT

Sorry for the not having a clueness :-(

But I appreciate any help

Many Thanks

Stephen

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom