videos not playing

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Got a problem with videos and gif's not playing, or rather they are with sound, but a black screen

The progress bar shows and if i hover over the bar it shows a still of whats playing

Do i just need a codec update, if so which is the best one to DL?

I'm assuming its not my graphics card as wouldn't that fuck up pictured too?

Thanks bitches!!

Syri

FH is my second home
could be the graphics card if it's a problem with hardware acceleration, as they tend to have a fallback mode for displaying the windows interface. I'd try updating the graphics card driver first, and see what happens with that. If it's a problem with the card, the driver will probably give some kind of error, otherwise it might fix it just from that.

Edmond

could be the graphics card if it's a problem with hardware acceleration, as they tend to have a fallback mode for displaying the windows interface. I'd try updating the graphics card driver first, and see what happens with that. If it's a problem with the card, the driver will probably give some kind of error, otherwise it might fix it just from that.

Says its the latest driver, its a ATI Radeon 4250. Didn't someone else have a problem with windows update fucking something up?

Syri

FH is my second home
hmm, the 4250 is pretty old, so shouldn't have had any new drivers for some time now, so that's not likely to be it. It could be the card is starting to fail, or something else in windows is fecked up (probably the more likely case). Are you running windows 10? If so, check in settings to see if any updates were done recently.
Also, if it's windows 10, make sure it's using the correct driver. The best way to check is to right click the desktop and go to display settings, then choose "display adapter properties" at the bottom; it should bring up a box with the adapter type. If it says "microsoft generic display adapter" or something similar, that means windows can't use the graphics card properly, so it could be a sign the card is failing. best thing to try in that case is first see if you can roll back to a previous day with system restore, to rule out an update causing it.
If you can't do that, or it doesn't change anything, try booting a linux live CD or USB drive, and see if that allows things like video playback. That's about the best I can think of off the top of my head to try...
Hope that's some help.

Edmond

Thank you, not at home atm, but will have a look later

It was my home build from about 8yrs ago. I am running 10 and it is starting to get a bit sluggish tbh, but it’s served me well

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Ed - I am working on an upgrade for my machine and this one may be looking for a new home at a reasonable price... PM me if you might be interested... it's a good box ;)

Edmond

Ed - I am working on an upgrade for my machine and this one may be looking for a new home at a reasonable price... PM me if you might be interested... it's a good box ;)
Does it contain and naked pics of you?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
... actually, it does! Just 1, from behind, naked BBQ'ing.... I could throw it in for fun :p:cool:

Edmond

hmm, the 4250 is pretty old, so shouldn't have had any new drivers for some time now, so that's not likely to be it. It could be the card is starting to fail, or something else in windows is fecked up (probably the more likely case). Are you running windows 10? If so, check in settings to see if any updates were done recently.
Also, if it's windows 10, make sure it's using the correct driver. The best way to check is to right click the desktop and go to display settings, then choose "display adapter properties" at the bottom; it should bring up a box with the adapter type. If it says "microsoft generic display adapter" or something similar, that means windows can't use the graphics card properly, so it could be a sign the card is failing. best thing to try in that case is first see if you can roll back to a previous day with system restore, to rule out an update causing it.
If you can't do that, or it doesn't change anything, try booting a linux live CD or USB drive, and see if that allows things like video playback. That's about the best I can think of off the top of my head to try...
Hope that's some help.

This is what it says

Capture.JPG

Edmond

Just played some films off the HD and they play fine in all different players, it seems to be web based content.

So anything from youtube, gif's on Imgur and even autoplay stuff on FB....very odd

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Which browser are you using? Any ad block software? I used to run a no script addon that did exactly what you describe. Does it happen on all browsers?

Edmond

Which browser are you using? Any ad block software? I used to run a no script addon that did exactly what you describe. Does it happen on all browsers?
Chrome, but I don’t have any ad block. Didn’t think of trying it with IE or Edge. Thanks I have a try

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Not sure if it's related, but when getting ready for a Presentation earlier in the week we embedded a video that played fine in the Windows movie player, but flat out would not play in Powerpoint 2016.

Turned out we had to run PPT in Administrator Mode, then it ran fine. I suspect MS have bollocksed something up somewhere - may be worth trying to launch the browser in Admin mode?

Syri

FH is my second home
you shouldn't need to run a browser in admin mode, and definitely should never do so; especially with no ad-blocking...
If other videos play fine, and it's only internet based that's a problem, try another browser, and if it comes to it, reinstall chrome, if nothing else gets it going.

Edmond

you shouldn't need to run a browser in admin mode, and definitely should never do so; especially with no ad-blocking...
If other videos play fine, and it's only internet based that's a problem, try another browser, and if it comes to it, reinstall chrome, if nothing else gets it going.
Would this mean completley uninstalling it first, start from scratch?

Syri

FH is my second home
There is a chrome cleanup tool, which might be worth a try first, but if that doesn't fix things then yes, remove it and reinstall it from scratch. If you've signed in to chrome with a google account it should restore bookmarks etc if you sign in again after reinstalling, otherwise you'll need to export them first, then import them back in once its working.

Edmond

There is a chrome cleanup tool, which might be worth a try first, but if that doesn't fix things then yes, remove it and reinstall it from scratch. If you've signed in to chrome with a google account it should restore bookmarks etc if you sign in again after reinstalling, otherwise you'll need to export them first, then import them back in once its working.
Thank you

Edmond

still not working...fucking thing

Edmond

IE keeps crashing, Edge is full of aids, as is FF

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I don't mind firefox. But it would appear any of them would be better that your chrome install as they actually work properly ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom