Advice Video codec conversions?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have some *video media* which my friend would like to watch via USB on his TV. Almost all of previous stuff he has watched has worked ok, but he is getting zero audio on a recent *file* I sent him. 3 different *versions* of said *file* in fact.

I believe that I can convert this to something which will actually play with audio using VLC, but are there better freeware apps to use? Also, any advice on how to do a batch run over night, as oddly enough I appear to have about 8 similar *files* I would like to convert... ?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Jup I use Handbrake to convert my pr0n.

I've heard of that - does it have a Windows GUI and support batch conversion fella? I have used Linux in the past but only for work, never at home....

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've heard of that - does it have a Windows GUI and support batch conversion fella? I have used Linux in the past but only for work, never at home....
Sorry - dumb answer before looking properly - batch conversion hints?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes to both, I've converted terabytes of shit through it, heated the whole house :)

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
If you have an Nvidia card you can use the GPU to rip through your transcoding. NVENC. Worth a look.

Embattle

FH is my second home
My choice depending on source is:

4K UHD Disc -> MakeMKV -> NAS
Blu-ray Disc -> MakeMKV -> Handbrake (H265) -> NAS

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I would have mentioned MakeMKV but I didn't want to overwhelm @Jupitus with technology as he still cannot use a calculator properly.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I would have mentioned MakeMKV but I didn't want to overwhelm @Jupitus with technology as he still cannot use a calculator properly.
:(Some of those numbers are hard to reach!!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
:(Some of those numbers are hard to reach!!
I will have to get you a stool as long as you promise to sit on the wide flat top and not one of the legs.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yes to both, I've converted terabytes of shit through it, heated the whole house :)

Since I assume you're still looking for projects to keep you amused throughout the sleepless evenings

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Since I assume you're still looking for projects to keep you amused throughout the sleepless evenings
Oooh, thanks, have bookmarked this post.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom