Very disturbing thing I saw

Urgluf

Part of the furniture
The guy who made that, might have not thought about shock value, but just use the kid as he would any other subject. Like you said, they would be on equal grounds. Which again, isn't right since they are not by default.

In March 1993 Carter made a trip to southern Sudan with intentions of documenting the local rebel movement. However, upon arriving and witnessing the horror of the famine, Carter began to take photographs of starving victims. The sound of soft, high-pitched whimpering near the village of Ayod attracted Carter to a young emaciated Sudanese toddler. The girl had stopped to rest while struggling to a feeding center, wherein a seemingly well-fed vulture had landed nearby. He said that he waited about 20 minutes, hoping that the vulture would spread its wings. It didn't. Carter snapped the haunting photograph and chased the vulture away. However, he also came under heavy criticism for just photographing — and not helping — the little girl:

"The man adjusting his lens to take just the right frame of her suffering might just as well be a predator, another vulture on the scene." [2]
The photograph was sold to The New York Times where it appeared for the first time on March 26, 1993. Practically overnight hundreds of people contacted the newspaper to ask whether the child had survived, leading the newspaper to run a special editor's note saying the girl had enough strength to walk away from the vulture, but that her ultimate fate was unknown. On April 2, 1994 Nancy Buirski, a foreign New York Times picture editor, phoned Carter to inform him he had won the most coveted prize for photography. Carter was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Photography on May 23, 1994 at Columbia University's Low Memorial Library.

He later confided to friends that he wished he had intervened and helped the child. Journalists at the time were supposedly warned never to touch famine victims for fear of disease. This criticism and the death of a close friend, Ken Oosterbroek, who was accidentally shot and killed in Tokoza on April 18, 1994 while covering township violence, may have contributed to Carter's suicide. On July 27, 1994 Carter drove to the Braamfonteinspruit river, near the Field and Study Center, an area he used to play at as a child, and took his own life by taping one end of a hose to his pickup truck’s exhaust pipe and running the other end to the passenger-side window. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning at the age of 33. The last person to see Carter alive was Oosterbroek's widow, Monica.

~wiki

megadave

I am a FH squatter
patienceic6.jpg

image works fine for me.

Made me lol if im honest but the story of the photographer was pretty horrible :(

Oafsiph

Banned
It's actually a very good picture in portraying the shocking conditions that these children live in.

I don't see it as a joke nor an attempted joke at all, I think it's to alarm people that what's happening in Africa simply cannot be ignored.

Edit: The one with the writing is wrong, but without the writing I stand by my statement.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You see this thad?
"No."
How about this?
"No."
Ok what if i do this...do you see it now?
"No."
Ok ok...lemme see...how about THIS?
"No."
Wait a minute...are you just saying no on purpose to waste my time?
"...no"
Son of a...

Thadius

Part of the furniture
The full picture is upsetting tbh.

I hate it, not the fact because some kid is starving. I know there is pain and hungrer in the world and there is feck all you can do about it. No matter how much that prick Bono and Bob Geldolf say give money, it will not end world suffering. I have no urge to see that sort of crap. It doesnt upset me, it just makes me think ,"God, some dickheads are going to cry and say Help this
kkm8s!"

Its the same with Jewish people who still whine and say "We got persecuted". No shit, but do you honestly think your the ones to have suffered from a dodgy reigeme?

I can think of a few, Stalins Gulags, Pol Pot, hell, a bit closer to home is the Irish and of course the Scots

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Don't blame the jews for what they say to be honest, not as if they only suffered persecution in WW2, it's been going on for thousands of years and still is. I mean there are actually people who believe there is a big jewish conspiracy with them controlling the whole world :p

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
I hate it, not the fact because some kid is starving. I know there is pain and hungrer in the world and there is feck all you can do about it. No matter how much that prick Bono and Bob Geldolf say give money, it will not end world suffering. I have no urge to see that sort of crap. It doesnt upset me, it just makes me think ,"God, some dickheads are going to cry and say Help this
kkm8s!"

Its the same with Jewish people who still whine and say "We got persecuted". No shit, but do you honestly think your the ones to have suffered from a dodgy reigeme?

I can think of a few, Stalins Gulags, Pol Pot, hell, a bit closer to home is the Irish and of course the Scots

Have you been listening to some BNP propaganda telling you the Holocaust was exaggerated or something? The Jews as a race were persucted in a method and number without precedent in world history, and you take offense to them 'whining' about it? well boo fucking hoo.

Finally at least dicks like Bono are actually raising money to save lives in the worlds poorest are, which is a fuck of alot more than any of our governments are doing.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
kkm8s!"

I won't argue against it but that's some pretty fucked up logic.

It's also quite funny how people are so ignorant to the fact that they too are humans and that we should be helping each other. That's not to say i'm the santa clause in relation to the third world but if everyone understood the plight of the poor, the persecuted, the discriminated and so on, then that would be a very strong step to solving global issues.

Not that it really matters much. The LEDCS are growing at such an absurdly immense rate that sooner or later we'll all be affected by them and then it won't be a case of 'fuck em - they're on the other side of the planet - no way near us.'

soze

I am a FH squatter
IMO

The only way to stop starvation in these coutries is to stop them having kids. When a family that have aids have a kid and cant feed themselves then go on to have 9 more they still cant feed, some of the problems have got to be laid there not on us fat cats eating well while working in the UK.

People starve in the UK too in the same way family has too many kids and the dole money dose not pay for the fags the betting shop and the food.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
IMO

The only way to stop starvation in these coutries is to stop them having kids. When a family that have aids have a kid and cant feed themselves then go on to have 9 more they still cant feed, some of the problems have got to be laid there not on us fat cats eating well while working in the UK.

People starve in the UK too in the same way family has too many kids and the dole money dose not pay for the fags the betting shop and the food.

That will take money and involvement from the MEDCs of the world however.

It is in the nature of LEDCs to produce large numbers of children because:-

- there's a lack of family planning
- lack of contraceptives
- high infant mortality so more kids are made incase the existing ones die
- large families to work and build in more income...

& so on.

For us to try and 'speed' up the DTM of a LEDC - it is going to take a HUGE influx of cash. Afterall, to get to the stage of Britain and even one step further, France, Sweden and so on, some of these LEDCs have to jump what took countries like China & Japan a good 200 years to achieve.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Its not a very nice picture. But you know the funny thing ? 90% of your average John Doe will gladly laugh their heads off at it if they were with their mates down the pub.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
That made me laugh... I've got worse, sec.... Quite big, so in spoilers.

save_the_children_childact120x600_120605.gif

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Some stuff is soo distrubing and horrible in this world that you can't do anything else but laugh about it.
The problem with that picture and with the text added is that it gives ideas of the maker being a racist more than trying to be funny.

I respect peoples opinions and ideas, even if it goes outside of my horizon of what is okay and what is not.

I used to read a neo nazi forum, not because I feelt the same way - but because I was interested in understanding why they thought and said what they did.

Back to this picture. Imo if you don't like what you see, then close your eyes and try to avoid it next time. People say and do things you can't or will respect. But that dosnt make their ideas better or worse than yours, just different.

This world is full of scary stuff, better get used to it and "accept" it or do something about it if you like.

Just wait and see when I come with my red army and forces my ideas on you!! - with a pistol to your head.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Have you been listening to some BNP propaganda telling you the Holocaust was exaggerated or something? The Jews as a race were persucted in a method and number without precedent in world history, and you take offense to them 'whining' about it? well boo fucking hoo.

Finally at least dicks like Bono are actually raising money to save lives in the worlds poorest are, which is a fuck of alot more than any of our governments are doing.

No, I just have the intellegence to look further that Europe to find persecution on murder.
I have read articles written by nazis, Jews, communists, facist, you name it, ive read it. Purely to gain an understanding to why people think that way and to realise that my way of thinking is NOT the way it should be.

Read up a bit on Gulags or Pol Pot.

Or perhaps read about what those nice Japs did in WW2.

6 Million in the Holocause, 15-30 million people died in Gulags all because they were intellegent. Pol Pot killed 2 million all because they were educated.

The English are probably the worst at repressing races, the Scots, Irish, Welsh, Indians, Africans, Britain has had its fair share of killing people. Not forgetting the slave trade. Spain murdered the Azteqs, Europeans massacred the Native Americans Not to mention the Aboriginies.

All I am saying is that every race on this planet has been persecuted in one form or another, its the past. Noone can change it so move on ffs. Thats why there is crap in places like Israeel and Palestine. The Irish have turned around and said ifghting isnt working, lets try to work together as we are getting nowhere as so far, Northern Ireland has become peaceful.

People who live in the past only breed hatred towards other cultures, like those inbreds who support terrorism in the name of God or whatever.

And in regards to the above post, people laugh about things are a way of moving on. Like the jokes about Virginia Tech or Maddie Mcann, people get sick of being fed day in, day out of the same story.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Boring. Next thread please. Can everyone get off their soap boxes. LOL. Such drama queens. Its just a fucking picture.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Just wait and see when I come with my red army and forces my ideas on you!! - with a pistol to your head.

Your referencing that Vietnam photo? :p

Fyi, that photograph was of South Vietnam, ie the USA allies shooting a Viet Cong.

Its a funny old world :p

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Your referencing that Vietnam photo? :p

Fyi, that photograph was of South Vietnam, ie the USA allies shooting a Viet Cong.

Its a funny old world :p

Not really, just telling you what my plans are tbh :fluffle:

Thadius

Part of the furniture
Not really, just telling you what my plans are tbh :fluffle:

Communism is great!

On paper :p

In the various countries it was introduced in, it failed miserable. The only country that is a success is China, but that is because it has let Capitialism in

echome

Fledgling Freddie
Communism is great!

On paper :p

In the various countries it was introduced in, it failed miserable. The only country that is a success is China, but that is because it has let Capitialism in

But you have to remember mate, that communisme has never really been tryed - not followed truly by the original ideas of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.
It has been said to be tryed, by dictatores trying to find an excuse to enslave(sp?) people. Stalin, Mao etc etc. - Might not be their plan to begin with but what it all has ended with.

The two only places I like what I am seeing is Cuba and Venezuela.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
But you have to remember mate, that communisme has never really been tryed - not followed truly by the original ideas of Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels.
It has been said to be tryed, by dictatores trying to find an excuse to enslave(sp?) people. Stalin, Mao etc etc. - Might not be their plan to begin with but what it all has ended with.

The two only places I like what I am seeing is Cuba and Venezuela.

Kibbutz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom