Vanguard "open" Beta

pez

Can't get enough of FH
The biggest problem i have is system requirements.

I only have an AMD 2600 1 gig of ram and a 6800GT and it just dosent cut it.

To get any kind of playability out of it i have to turn the graphics so low i feel like i am playing the first EQ again.

I know alot of people here have much better pcs than that but if vanguard hope to have any chance of capturing even a tiny slice oft eh casual gamer market they will have to improve performance on average machines by a hell of alot.

Asuyi

Fledgling Freddie
Why are the european gamers always neglected :(
btw, is the european beta opened at last? couldn't get the information on the home page

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Asuyi said:
Why are the european gamers always neglected :(
btw, is the european beta opened at last? couldn't get the information on the home page

Yeah it went open on monday, Eurogamer.net gave away 10, 000 keys on a first come first serve basis but they were all gone by the end of the day.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
rynnor said:
Hmmm - Vanguard seems a bit familiar to an EQ2 player - the combat system has its own multiplayer combos = heroic ops in EQ2 and the crafting system sounds like a complete rip off of the EQ2 one - I know its the same guys but surely they can have a little originality?

because its much of the same ppl thats making it that made EQ and EQ2.

Pawn

Fledgling Freddie
"6 gig download i started the other night but then i thought whats the point the game is being released within 2 months time.

I'll defo get the full game at release because it seems pretty good."

6gb you wish !!

It's a 16.7 gb download for the current beta plus a nightly patches since then so make space on your hd if you wanna play.

Got my key from Eurogamer.net, should be more released quite often now as the daily server populations aren't that high so keep looking in at the site.

Sure the game's still full of bugs but they're getting fixed fast and furious it seems. What is more worrying is that u will need a good spec comp to play it well unless they make some serious tweaks before the launch on the 30th. I've been playing 4 days now and it's getting more fun each day I play. It's a big game, a very big game with plenty of variety. Inevitably it has similarities to WoW but I would say the difficulty level of Vanguard is a lot higher - that's what stopped me playing WoW after 6 months, it was just too easy. Vanguard won't blow WoW away but I reckon it will be a serious challenge to it.

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
If you get it from the SoE patcher then its about 17GB

have any sence and get the compressed version from Fileplanet or eurogamer or something and its about 6GB

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
all these zone resets are beginning to be slightly annoying :(

no fun to all of the sudden get kicked to the char select screen just to log back on and find 400 million mobs just sitting there waiting for the 3 minute invul timer to go off.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Been playing for a couple of days, it's ok. The crafting and diplomacy systems are interesting, however the number of bugs there are in quests, and even skills, ye gods this is no way ready for retail at the end of the month!

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
Been playing the full version for a couple of days. They've fixed the performance issues (at least it runs smoothly on my 3 year old computer). Still a number of issues but there are some very very nice things in this game (played to level 10 so far). Not least the diplomacy system and there are pages and pages and pages of lore and background story (may be less developed on some races though only played HIgh Elf so far).

Bit annoyed that at low levels its practically impossible to group with someone from a different race but hopefully in a few levels we'll be out of the starter zones so my high elf doesn't die trying to hand in quests myotehr half's wolf shared with me :)

It's certainly not 'finished' as a game but it's considerably closer than DDO was even after several months of retail :)

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Kinda looking for a new game aswell...daoc is over for me unless they cluster servers so there is life on it again, wow...1 lvl 60 is all i could do...i like it, but just can't get a 2nd toon to 60 (70 now)...i get bored too fast (might be i don't find a good guild also).

So checking out for some other "new" games...and Vanguard sounds interesting...but not sure if it's worth starting...looking at the mainly negative comments it gets all over the net. Anyone got positive stories to tell about this game?

Got some hope WAR is gonna be fun aswell...till i saw GOA will be doing servers etc...so we will get a daoc v.2.0 ?

So how is Vanguard compared to Daoc, WoW, SWG etc? Worth the BIG download or better not start something that might be a second D&D ???

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
Gotta remeber, its always the ones who are displeased with something who kick up a fuss and rant about it. Those who love it tend to keep quite.

Persoanly i love it, best MMO release since WoW came out. Its very old school in the way it plays. It will take forever to get to level 50 ( devs reckon 30 - 40 days /played and thats if you just do XP, and dont craft or do diplomacy ). Its huge, theres something like 19 races and 15 classes, and the world makes DAoC look tiny its roughly about 5 times as large as DAoC. No instances, no loading screens every dungeon you get to.

Its early realse and its got a few bugs n stuff, but what MMO doesnt. It a damn nice game and looks fantastic if your PC can pull it off.

Javai

Fledgling Freddie
tazzbe said:
So how is Vanguard compared to Daoc, WoW, SWG etc? Worth the BIG download or better not start something that might be a second D&D ???

I can't say anything about the pvp servers as they aren't my thing. Vanguard looks incredible on my PC (which is very top end) but it also runs ok on my old PC which is very much not top end at all! It is very immersive in terms of depth of lore and story though atm the bugs can be incredibly infuriating (though 5 years on DaoC still has infuriating bugs :)).

It's alot more like EQ than any of the other games mentioned, combat is more difficult than DaoC or WoW (pve) there is more to do more reactionary spells, counter spells etc.

It's very hard to play with a rl friend unless you choose the same race and if you want to get together at all in the first part of the game you really need to choose races on the same continent. But having tried a few races out now the starting areas for each are incredibly diverse (though not all equally well done) and the depth of story there if you take the time to read it is amazing.

My best summary for it would be it's EQ2 with a WoW interface :)

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Ok thanks for some more positive replies :p

How is the population? And what about servers? Suppose no EU ones...or am i wrong? Any old Daoc guilds up there? How are the people ingame? Friendly or WoW-type of replies you get?

Easy to get groups? To pvp?

I'm tempted to try it out...but want some more info then just the official forums and info :)

Aada

Part of the furniture
tazzbe said:

How is the population? And what about servers? Suppose no EU ones...or am i wrong? Any old Daoc guilds up there? How are the people ingame? Friendly or WoW-type of replies you get?

I'm tempted to try it out...but want some more info then just the official forums and info :)

Best bet would be too look on the official forums my experience wasn't great i would wait until the first week is gone and see what people are experiencing.

Punj

Fledgling Freddie
tazzbe said:

i'm playing on the euro team PvP server and loving it so far.....

people are friendly enough and with buffs lasting an hour with no conc based buffs people tend to throw them your way if they are passing by while you xp in the starting zones.

got to lvl 10 last night after a few hours playing with a mate and the landscapes and stuff are jawdropping(if you have a good system), this time i decided with my mates that we wouldn't go all out grinding and rushing to be the first to 50 but instead enjoy the game and have a laugh,take things easy and imerse ourselves in the game.

big thumbs up from me so far:)

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
:)

I ordered the game on play.com...2 days ago, should receive it next week probably. Might see some of you ingame soon

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
Punj said:
i'm playing on the euro team PvP server and loving it so far.....

people are friendly enough and with buffs lasting an hour with no conc based buffs people tend to throw them your way if they are passing by while you xp in the starting zones.

got to lvl 10 last night after a few hours playing with a mate and the landscapes and stuff are jawdropping(if you have a good system), this time i decided with my mates that we wouldn't go all out grinding and rushing to be the first to 50 but instead enjoy the game and have a laugh,take things easy and imerse ourselves in the game.

big thumbs up from me so far:)

I'm on the Euro team PvP server I think (name starts with F ?)

Runs like shit on my PC though so it's on hold til I get a better PC or can find a decent performance tweaking guide (turning settings to minimum didnt make any difference to performance, just makes the game look even worse)

Shame

Punj

Fledgling Freddie
Rulke said:
I'm on the Euro team PvP server I think (name starts with F ?)

Runs like shit on my PC though so it's on hold til I get a better PC or can find a decent performance tweaking guide (turning settings to minimum didnt make any difference to performance, just makes the game look even worse)

Shame

aye it's the first of the 3rd gen MMO's so you need a fairly good pc, i'm running a 2.8 P4,2 gig ram and a G-force 7600gt, running well and looks amazing atm.

mainly playing my dark elf bloodmage called corbulo if you wanna drop me a pm at any time or in the future.

/wave btw heh

tazzbe

Fledgling Freddie
Made a Raki Ranger :p name ...tazzbe on fengrot aswell.

Lvl 7...and enjoying the game. Hope soon enough quests get a bit harder so you need a group...been soloing till now (rather easy with this class atm) :p

Need to keep an eye on the guilds being formed aswell, cause no /gu sucks :p

rynnor

Rockhound

Heh - all the Vanguard fanboi's signing up to that site just to argue with the reviewer is teh funneh!

I did think he was being a little naive if he thought this was the first mmo to go live in beta even if really buggy - I can think of ton's from my chequered mmo history :)

But he really didnt like it and having gained an insight into Brad Mcquaid over the years I dont think I would either - cmon WAR and LOTR online!

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Heh - all the Vanguard fanboi's signing up to that site just to argue with the reviewer is teh funneh!

I did think he was being a little naive if he thought this was the first mmo to go live in beta even if really buggy - I can think of ton's from my chequered mmo history :)

But he really didnt like it and having gained an insight into Brad Mcquaid over the years I dont think I would either - cmon WAR and LOTR online!

I laughed :)

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
I couldn't find another Vanguard thread, so I'm hijacking this one.
massively.com said:
E3 2012: SOE teases Vanguard F2P trailer
by Jef Reahard on Jun 12th 2012 12:00PMFantasy, Trailers, Video, Events, real-world, Game mechanics, MMO industry, News items, Vanguard, Free-to-play0

Sony Online Entertainment hasn't revealed the release day for its free-to-play version of Vanguard yet, but the firm did slip a new trailer past us at last week's E3 shindig in Los Angeles.

The spiritual successor to EverQuest has been playable since early 2007, of course, but it looks like SOE is gearing up for a relaunch of sorts (or at least a reboot of the game's long-dormant PR machine). The trailer runs a hair under two minutes and bills Vanguard as both "the ultimate experience for true gamers" and an "action-packed seamless world."

The clip also gives us a good look at many of the game's classes, races, and various locations throughout its sprawling three-continent world. Check out the embed after the break.

[Thanks to John for the tip!]

The video is on this link: http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06/12/e3-2012-soe-teases-vanguard-f2p-trailer/

Tags: con, convention, convention-coverage, e3, e3-2012, electronic-entertainment-expo, expo, f2p, fantasy, free-to-play, sandbox, soe, sony, sony-online-entertainment, telon, trailer, vanguard, vanguard-f2p, vanguard-f2p-trailer, vanguard-saga-of-heroes, vanguard-trailer, vg

- English -

Resident Freddy
I liked Vanguard when it was first released, until they butfucked my ranger then I lost interest.

I never understood their stealth system though..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
The game still had some insane balance issues when i last played it a year or so ago. My cleric could wade through almost anything not meant for a full group while my necro got it's arse handed to him every few minutes... Not to mention the utterly retarded grid system they STILL USE! 30 second lag every time you cross to a new grid is just beyond stupid ...

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
F2P Release date.
massively.com said:
Vanguard going free-to-play on August 14th
by MJ Guthrie on Aug 3rd 2012 10:15PMFantasy, Business models, MMO industry, News items, Vanguard, Free-to-play0

Ever since the announcement last March that Vanguard: Saga of Heroes would be going free-to-play this summer, players have been eagerly waiting to find out when the magical day would be. That wait is finally over: Vanguard will launch in free-to-play form on Tuesday, August 14th.

Sony Online Entertainment notes that the game has undergone many changes over the last few months in preparation of this monumental event. Some changes include a revamp of the starting areas, removal of class/race restrictions, and the addition of the Vanguard Marketplace. The official website has also seen some upgrades and has a new address to match the new look; be sure to bookmark the new site at http://www.vanguardthegame.com. Players can also expect to see even more changes as the days count down to the launch.

Tags: f2p, fantasy, free-to-play, free-to-play-announcement, sandbox, soe, sony, sony-online-entertainment, telon, vanguard, vanguard-saga-of-heroes, vg

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Have they removed that map grid? I bet they haven't... :(

That map grid is the single biggest reason i can't stand this game because no matter how good PC you have you will lag when you cross over to a new square.

svartalf

Can't get enough of FH
massively.com said:
Vanguard soft launches free-to-play a week early
by Justin Olivetti on Aug 7th 2012 7:30PMFantasy, Business models, Launches, Vanguard, Free-to-play0

If you've had your calendars marked for Vanguard's F2P launch on August 14th, you might want to get out your eraser. As of today, SOE has soft launched the title's free-to-play version for any and all to enjoy.Along with the soft launch comes a shiny new website to mark the occasion.

The good news is in today's update notes: "The free-to-play matrix is now in effect. Anyone should be able to download the game for free from our new site."

Vanguard's latest update also marks the beginning of the in-game marketplace, freedom from race and class restrictions, and a massive sweep of re-itemization.

[Thanks to MikeyMoo for the tip!]

Tags: f2p, fantasy, free-to-play, game-update, launch, patch-notes, sandbox, soe, soft-launch, sony, sony-online-entertainment, telon, update-notes, vanguard, vanguard-saga-of-heroes, vg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom