Vanguard "open" Beta

Starman

Part of the furniture
I got into the beta test about 6 months ago and quite honestly I didn't much care for it. Seemed simply another WoW clone to me.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Since their whole gimmick seems to be that they are taking the game back to be more like the older mmorpgs i'm really not sure. I've got a fileplanet account so i will try it out but i am not expecting much.

Aada

Part of the furniture
6 gig download i started the other night but then i thought whats the point the game is being released within 2 months time.

I'll defo get the full game at release because it seems pretty good.

But Burning Crusade will be out in 3 weeks and from what i have played it's been a really good game so far.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
6 gig download i started the other night but then i thought whats the point the game is being released within 2 months time.

I'll defo get the full game at release because it seems pretty good.

But Burning Crusade will be out in 3 weeks and from what i have played it's been a really good game so far.

It's a closed beta, the point is to be involved in some very small way in the testing and development process, not to play for free.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Tallen said:
It's a closed beta, the point is to be involved in some very small way in the testing and development process, not to play for free.

Yes and No

MMORPGS don't get demos so the open betas fill that role also. But if you find a bug and don't report it then you are abusing the idea too.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
pez said:
Yes and No

MMORPGS don't get demos so the open betas fill that role also. But if you find a bug and don't report it then you are abusing the idea too.

It's a closed beta, so not the finished article and not really a demo.

I'd agree with you that a open beta is very much a demo, it's a stress test and with so many people needed to fully test a server, the devs won't expect many of them to give much feedback. I assume they get what they are looking for by seeing how well the servers and zones respond to the numbers more than anything else.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
mmm i don't know a fileplanet Beta is open in every respect except name. Its not like you have to do anything special to get in. Applicants aren't vetted or anything.

It seems these days that more and more games have a fileplanet beta and not an open beta at all.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
pez said:
mmm i don't know a fileplanet Beta is open in every respect except name. Its not like you have to do anything special to get in. Applicants aren't vetted or anything.

It seems these days that more and more games have a fileplanet beta and not an open beta at all.

You have a point.

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
Fileplanet said:
Restricted Access
U.S. Residents Only

We're sorry, the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes beta program is restricted to U.S. residents only. We appreciate your interest in the program.

If you received the message "US Residents Only" and are located in the U.S., please contact our customer service team at http://support.fileplanet.com.
:mad:

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
yeah got this myself

Dear Non-U.S./Canadian Subscriber,

We thank you for your interest in the Vanguard: Saga of Heroes beta program on FilePlanet.

Unfortunately, between the pre-promotion of the program and its launch this evening, we had to restrict access to U.S./Canadian residents only. However, since you signed up before the restriction, we're going to set aside some keys and make sure you get one.

We apologize for the wait, but we will do our best to get you a key within the next couple of days. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

In the meantime, make sure you download the Vanguard beta client here: http://www.fileplanet.com/172201/170000/fileinfo/

Thanks again, and we hope you enjoy the program,

-The FilePlanet Team

so joy :p

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
MMORPG.com said:
Sony Online Entertainment and Sigil Games Online today announced that open beta will begin tomorrow, January 5th, for the upcoming massively multiplayer online role-playing game, "Vanguard: Saga of Heroes." Tomorrow players that are participating in the pre-order program will be able to access the open beta. Other adventurers interested in exploring the world of Telon can head over to www.fileplanet.com to begin their journey."Vanguard: Saga of Heroes" will immerse players in a classical fantasy setting filled with magic and intrigue beginning in Q1 of 2007.

To join the North American open beta please visit: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/vanguardbeta/landing.aspx For the first week the offer is only open to File Planet subscribers, to subscribe visit www.fileplanet.com

The European beta will open on January 8th. European customers who have pre-ordered "Vanguard: Saga of Heroes" and received their key can also join beta on January 5th.
mmorpg

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Vanguard looks pretty neat to me, I like the fact that you can build boats and such. Also that you can build cities, villages, inns etc in the actual game world and not in some lame instance or seperate housing zone.

Szape

Fledgling Freddie
i dont have anything good to say about this game I'm afraid and this is supposed to be released in what, a month? it will get "free to play!" label before summer :p

pez

Can't get enough of FH
Euro Beta starts proper today, anyone on a particular server or anything?

Aada

Part of the furniture
I think this game could do with another 6 months development to be honest the game runs poor on a good machine even on low settings.

The combat is DULL to say the least.

The quests are pretty boring not much story at all and the main quest story? well there isn't one to be honest.

I am at lvl 10 and i have to say i will be uninstalling and cancelling my pre-order.

I had high hopes from this game but they have been shot down because the game is completely unfinished.

People saying it's beta but this is pretty much OPEN BETA it should not be in the state it is right now it is what 3 weeks from being released? what we are playing now is what we will be playing then i mean they have to go gold in less then a week to get the game printed, shipped and ready.

Poor effort to be honest but i think this is more SOE pushing them to get it released but to be fair it has been 3 years in the making so they have had ample time to get it ready.

Sometimes i actually think if we will get another good MMORPG besides WoW and DAOC the only 2 good MMO to come out since UO. People bash WoW but i say at least the game is fun/finished plenty to do and it runs smoothly too DAOC was great but i'm past it.

I guess WAR is going to be the only hope.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
In Age of Conan there is hope aswell imo ;)

Anyways Vanguard looks so cool on videos and such :x I saw some on youtube and it looked pretty awesome, maybe they fix performance issues and such closer to release. Guess I'll have to try before I judge, but yeh long time between good MMO's... :(
I am yet to see a EU beta signup thingie on fileplanet so I guess its only for EU preorders ?

Aada

Part of the furniture
LordjOX said:
In Age of Conan there is hope aswell imo ;)

Anyways Vanguard looks so cool on videos and such :x I saw some on youtube and it looked pretty awesome, maybe they fix performance issues and such closer to release. Guess I'll have to try before I judge, but yeh long time between good MMO's... :(
I am yet to see a EU beta signup thingie on fileplanet so I guess its only for EU preorders ?

No i got mine from Fileplanet its a key for EU members.

Yep VG looks awsome on the videos. I can take bad graphics don't get me wrong what i can't take is boring quests with no story and a dull combat system.

Ok wow quests are go kill x or take this to x person in x town but at least for me there is a story in these quests which you can read and enjoy the first/2nd time round.

I don't think you can beat WoW for combat it's smooth and feels very good, this just feels slow and boring. If they release it at the end of this month it will flop big time to be honest.

rynnor

Rockhound
Hmmm - Vanguard seems a bit familiar to an EQ2 player - the combat system has its own multiplayer combos = heroic ops in EQ2 and the crafting system sounds like a complete rip off of the EQ2 one - I know its the same guys but surely they can have a little originality?

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
No i got mine from Fileplanet its a key for EU members.

Yep VG looks awsome on the videos. I can take bad graphics don't get me wrong what i can't take is boring quests with no story and a dull combat system.

Ok wow quests are go kill x or take this to x person in x town but at least for me there is a story in these quests which you can read and enjoy the first/2nd time round.

I don't think you can beat WoW for combat it's smooth and feels very good, this just feels slow and boring. If they release it at the end of this month it will flop big time to be honest.

You got to lvl 10 during the beta and judge the game on that?

Try playing beyond lvl 20, totally different game. It's not a very original game by any stretch, usual basics, but so was WoW.

The storyline i followed from lvl 1-30 was superb, might be the race/realm you were playing was one of those not finished yet (it is, after all a beta), they add new stuff almost daily.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Tallen said:
You got to lvl 10 during the beta and judge the game on that?

Try playing beyond lvl 20, totally different game. It's not a very original game by any stretch, usual basics, but so was WoW.

The storyline i followed from lvl 1-30 was superb, might be the race/realm you were playing was one of those not finished yet (it is, after all a beta), they add new stuff almost daily.

Well if you don't like a game from the get go you won't like it at all.

Pretty much same goes for almost every game i have bought.. don't like it straight away then i won't like it at all.

I just thought the game was very bland from the start won't be one i am picking up unfortunatly.

You know when you like a game coz you get that feeling of 'yeah this is great' just like i did with UO/DAOC/WOW i didn't with this game.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
rynnor said:
Hmmm - Vanguard seems a bit familiar to an EQ2 player - the combat system has its own multiplayer combos = heroic ops in EQ2 and the crafting system sounds like a complete rip off of the EQ2 one - I know its the same guys but surely they can have a little originality?

EQ2 was a blatant rip-off of the fantasy mmorpg's that came before that tbh. All of these sword-and-sorcery fantasy mmorpg's follow a similar basic format.

It does have similarities to EQ2 though, no denying that.

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
Aada said:
Well if you don't like a game from the get go you won't like it at all.

Pretty much same goes for almost every game i have bought.. don't like it straight away then i won't like it at all.

I just thought the game was very bland from the start won't be one i am picking up unfortunatly.

Not really fair to decree doom on a game from a beta though.

There is, however, an inherant problem with "new" fantasy mmorpg's these days in that they are all basically the same game with different knobs and whistles.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Tallen said:
Not really fair to decree doom on a game from a beta though.

There is, however, an inherant problem with "new" fantasy mmorpg's these days in that they are all basically the same game with different knobs and whistles.

As i said before this is pretty much what we will see in release unfinished races/quests etc and they cannot change all this before it goes live.

Sorry to say but its a flop for me.

I wanted to like it but it wasn't to be.

Talivar

Part of the furniture
Im mixed atm some races zones seem to be a lot better than others and after trying a few that seemed empty i tried high elf and that seemd fine...until about lv9 then again i couldnt find new quests or even an indication of where i should go to maybe find some. The gfx are good and combat isnt no better or worse than wows IMO, also apart from server lag the game runs pretty smooth for me on high settings.
So tbh its main fault is lack of quests/direction, without which it will become dull to fast for many ppl i fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom