Help uTorrent advice

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Can anyone tell me what settings I should change, and how to improve my download speeds please?

I have set a port to use on my router. Lets say 60000-60010.
Reading alot of different advice and thought I would ask on here.

Also I seem to remember someone mentioning Peer Guardian? Could not find a download for this, only some site which says "it's working" and then a download which won't install :(

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Peerguardian is a load of shit and doesn't work. It's all to do with the way p2p packets are shaped on the Cisco servers the traffic goes through. Your ISP will set a check for those shapes and throttle the speed. You could try upping the number of global connections in the bandwidth tab. Make sure UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping are checked and under the BitTorrent tab make sure Protocol Encryption is set to enabled and the legacy connections box is checked. Best I can do for you.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Set encryption to forced and don't allow incomming legacy connections.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Just after midnight my speeds went up. Got 3 downloads on the go and my combined download speed is about 450kbps which is about as fast as I can get on this POS line.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
BT are renown for capping p2p connections during the day my m8 had them for isp for a while and had the same problems..

I think its an isp traffic shaping thing ... dont know if you can ssl and encrypt the traffic .. might help but thats about all you can do afaik

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Set encryption to forced and don't allow incomming legacy connections.

Yep, this doesn't reduce my speeds either.

Get a better tracker, a private one if you can. Peer Guardian was replaced by PeerBlock, get that instead.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Better still, ditch BT, & get fibre optic from Virgin.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh god no, Virgin's traffic shaping is the most draconian there is.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
uTorrent is fast in the early hours and up till about 8.00 am. I'm with BT Infinity, i dont download anything in the day time, i do it all through the night and shut it all down b4 i go to work. I keep Peerblock on ALL the time, even when i'm not downloading

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
That link i posted worked for me. The bit with setting the upload speed after doing speedtest and setting the amount of connections to suit my connection sped it right up, especially torrents with lots of leechers but few seeds.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
That link i posted worked for me. The bit with setting the upload speed after doing speedtest and setting the amount of connections to suit my connection sped it right up, especially torrents with lots of leechers but few seeds.

I'll go through my settings later when i have time

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Oh god no, Virgin's traffic shaping is the most draconian there is.

So whats the fastest (gotta be fibre optic, right?), most stable, unlimited domestic UK broadband ISP then?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
So whats the fastest (gotta be fibre optic, right?), most stable, unlimited domestic UK broadband ISP then?

There isn't really one which offers true unlimited without some form of throttling.

Virgin Media does 100Mbit, but will slow down usenet and P2P in the evening. BT does 40Mbit, but also slows down P2P and other downloads. Nearly all FTTC resellers do monthly caps, or will use traffic shaping in some form (according to ThinkBroadband). The only unthrottled and unlimited package I can find is from IDNet, but at £90/month it's a business package.

So it's a case of picking which of those you prefer. The only real unlimited connections without any form of traffic shaping would be some of the ADSL2 providers.

Nate

FH is my second home
I had a go at running peer block, it blocks the BBC website ;o

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If he does that it'll severely limit the number of seeds he can connect to.
It'll also stop him being clipped by BT's shit filtering system, which is more important.

Peer Guardian / Peer Block isn't needed unless you have a shit client that doesn't support blocklists.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
atm I use eztv to find tv shows. What other sites are there? I could not find a particular episode I was after so when I google'd it, I only really found piratebay links and I have only heard bad things about that place.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
think its against the CoC to give links to places that break copy write .. think you will have to work that out for yourself :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Or not because that amounts to the same thing. Be good boys.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I was gonne mention it, but wasnt sure if that's actually the case.

Just having it enabled bypasses BT's filtering. Noticed it myself when I set it to enabled and restarted utorrent. Speed went from 20kbps to 1.7Mb/s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom