Using a 'normal' case as a scsi drive bay?

Ominous

Banned
My computer currently uses 2 10,000 rpm scsi hard drives of 18GB capacity each. I overcome the lag of space by using an external usb hard drive of 250GB. I really like scsi and want to continue using such components. On Ebay now you can get 36GB 15,000 rpm scsi drives for peanuts. These have very good transfer rates and access times. I was thinking of buying a large tower case (for normal ide components) with a power supply and running a scsi cable from my existing computer to the tower case and building up a scsi raid bank of drives. Scsi drive bays can be quite expensive so I don't want to go that way but a 2nd hand tower case won't cost much and I can probably get multiple scsi drives, tower case and long scsi cable from Ebay. Only thing that might set me back a bit is a scsi raid card, though once again Ebay will probably come to the rescue. I can't really see why such a setup will not work? Have I overlooked something?

Bob007

Prince Among Men
No reason why it shouldn't work, tho if you useing a standard PC PSU you'd have to rig up a switch to turn it off/on (change U wire for switch) as such instead of going through mobo. But doable.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Not really, but you seem to making a messy version of something that already exists.
There's plenty of scsi enclosures available, together with a decent RAID card you'll be flying.

There's Internal type enclosures:
3 Bay SCA2 - SCSI Enclosure - Used Fully tested on eBay, also, Hard Drive Caddies Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 03-Jun-08 16:06:57 BST)

Full size external enclosures for up to 14 drives:
Compaq Storageworks Hard Drive Storage Drive Array HDD on eBay, also, Hard Drive Caddies Enclosures, Drives Storage, Computing (end time 05-Jun-08 14:20:00 BST)

and plenty of single external enclosures, too many to bother listing.

But I have to ask why this would be of benefit? Although the drives are cheap, even second hand, it's cheaper buying a couple of larger SATA drives. The newer ones perform just as quick as 10k SCSI's and not far off 15k drives. I believe Western Digital have just started doing reasonably sized 10k SATA drives. This of course would be FAR quieter and less power hungry.

Ominous

Banned
Couldn't find them on Ebay. Was searching for scsi cases and stuff. The top one looks like something I could use for sure. Bottom one must be enormous.

I like using scsi. I have 2 computers - one using scsi and the other is ide - and both sharing an internet connection. The ide one is more or less silent but I kinda like the clacking that comes from my scsi drives. I can tell when they are working or when something is being loaded etc whereas you can't always tell on an ide one. The fact that ide is so quiet sometimes gives it the appearance of being slow. I must admit though that my scsi computer does run pretty fast and it is not a particularly powerful computer either. At the moment I have 2 scsi hard drives running seperately but I would like to run a bank of them with raid. I think the top box with 3 x 36GB 15,000 rpm drives in a raid configuration would be more than sufficient for my use. The real storage would be provided by external drives. It really is just me messing about at the end of the day and for little money I can indulge. We all like our little toys I suppose ;).

Kryten

Old Cow.
Well that's fair enough then :)
I only know what to search for as it's something I do on a day to day basis, the bottom enclosure is a typical rackmountable (3U) size case - which is circa 16-18" wide and just over a foot deep, weighing a ton. They're meant more for large data storage and would typically be used alongside a rackmounted server with it's own drive for storage, or as part of a network attached storage system.

You might find you'll be better off "consolidating" - so rather than having yet another box messing your place up, getting a bigger single case for all the kit. As per my other thread, I've just acquired a Coolermaster Stacker, something similar to that would be ideal - all the bays will take all sorts of drives, all you'd need to arrange is cabling and the raid adapter. There's more than enough room to keep it tidy too, and the Stacker has specific HDD cooling.

Ominous

Banned
If I had the dosh I would probably go for a monster case but those stackers are retailing about £170! Think I will stick with the used gear off Ebay. I was thinking that I could have an exceptionally long scsi cable - I think this is ok without any performance drop - and keep the drives away from the computer. Be easy access and less noise. Nice case by the way :D.

Oh. Just found great stacker cases on the overclockers site. Much cheaper too and fully kitted out.

Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos Silent Full Tower Case

Kryten

Old Cow.
Indeed, scsi cables have a far better tolerance for distance than sata, ide and eSATA, but you might want to err on the safe side and see if you can find a proper external one; it'll be better sheilded and wont succumb to interference from teh likes of mobile phones :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom