Help USB Internet Dongle --> XBox Live

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Since Im moving to a new place soon the phone line and net has been cancelled, so I bought a USB Dongle for temporary internet. It works fine with the laptop but I cant get it to work for the Xbox360 online. I know it can be done since my cousin does the same thing but can't help me as he doesn't use computers much.

Anyway the problem is, I have the net up on laptop, have the ethernet cable attached to Xbox and it can be seen on the laptop.

But whenever I try to test the connection on the Xbox it has the same error msg. Along the lines of.. "Did not receive IP Address, try turning on DHCP or manually entering an IP address"

Ive gone through alot of things and checked online, like going to the "Manage Network Connections" screen and turning on the Internet Connection Sharing for the Dial-up connection. But nothing has worked, I'll Attach a pic of the IP Info so you can see what I'm looking at if that helps. It's something to do with DHCP and the Default Gateway as far as I know but im not too good with computers to go further myself, If any can help it would be greatly appreciated.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It says ethernet adapter media disconnected, suggesting the cable isn't connected properly...

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Here's a screenshot from the Xbox help site basically showing how to get the info I need, but I can't get it working.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Bah I've got 3 Ethernet cable's and since 1 showed the Xbox on the laptop and 2 didn't, I figured it was the right type.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Right, the problem is that your ethernet adapters all say media disconnected, so either the cable isn't working, not plugged in right, your ethernet adapter is faulty or perhaps it's not a crossover cable.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Oh and the pic was to show that DHCP was disabled and no Gateway settings etc, even though I turned on Internet Connection Sharing like it said so everyone can access the net.

EDIT : ah Ive heard online about this cross-over cable but all the ones I could find in the shops are things like RJ45 MALE/MALE or RJ11/RJ11 connectors on them, I couldnt see a "Cross-over Ethernet Cable" or is that not what it would be called.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It'll look identical to the cable you've got already except it'll say "crossover" on it.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Ah well since I've checked online and a few responses were to get this cable, and now you have responded the same it definately seems the way to go, thx for the quick responses I'll have a look around online to know what im looking for tomorow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom