USB Freeview

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
I've been thinking of getting a USB freeview device, so I can watch a bit of TV on the go. However, I've had one before and I remember the little aerial that it came with. Since I'd also like to watch it at home, I have a powered aerial that I use for my normal TV.

Does anyone know if theres any adaptor that could be used so that I could plug my big aerial into the USB device?

The one I'm thinking of getting is this one: August PC/Laptop USB Freeview/HDTV Receiver - Silver: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Any advice?

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Ah perfect! Got a similar one from Amazon which also has free shipping. Can finally enjoy more than the bog standard 5 channels.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Do you need a TV license if you use one of these on your laptop?

Kryten

Old Cow.
I've got one of these in my toolbox, never actually got used as the little aerial picked up absolutely nothing and I've a PCI-E card for digital at home :) Bought it from ebay for a fiver, no idea what brand or anything :( Has a little adapter thing too to plug in a coax aerial with which it works rather well.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Do you need a TV license if you use one of these on your laptop?

If you are using it at home and have a TV license for your TV at home then I would have thought you would be fine as its like buying another TV.

I'm not sure what happens if you go elswhere and use it though...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I've had a couple of these and while they're priced well, unless you can plug it in to a very strong outside aerial you're in for a headache.

I use mine with an amplified indoor aerial, and that works perfectly with normal digital freeview boxes, always get good enough signal on every channel.

With the freeview stick though it seems to be a lot more sensitive and a lot less capable of being able to convert an up and down or slightly sloppy reception into anything coherent.

In summary: the mini aerial you get free is laughable, unless you can connect it to something metal and very big (and you happen to be lucky enough to be in an excellent signal spot); it works decently with indoor amplified aerials, although it can be very tempremental; outdoor aerials good. For TV on the go I doubt you'd ever get a signal tbh.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
If you are using it at home and have a TV license for your TV at home then I would have thought you would be fine as its like buying another TV.

I'm not sure what happens if you go elswhere and use it though...

In a laptop would be fine assuming it's in your home. A TV license is per-"site", so if you take it outside with you you must ensure that no TV is being used at your house.

The law was designed for people going on holiday with portable TVs so they didn't need to get any special licenses etc to have a moving TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom