University

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Going this year, (Yay) Got like 4 days left to book my accommodation but I'm not sure if I want to, I'm thinking of commuting, I know the pros and cons of both choices, but I'd like to hear some of your opinions, I've had people say 'noo save the money, live there in your second year' and others 'noo, you'll enjoy it more, even though you'll be broke, and you'll find peeps to live with in your second year etc'

I live in Leicester and going to uni in Nottingham, so it's really really easily train-able.

Danke!

rynnor

Rockhound
Depends tbh - if your a kid straight out of school live in - if your a bit older you might want to commute.

eksdee

FH is my second home
I commuted, but I did it because I had absolutely no interest in going to Uni for a social life. I had one outside of it and I found most of the people at Uni to be intolerable idiots. If you want the 'experience', then definitely live there. With that said, my girlfriend is very social but grew extremely tired of halls within 2 months due to the people being morons. Second and third year living with friends was great for her though.

Essentially, imo, it all boils down to what you want to get out of it. I finished Uni with a first which got me into the career I wanted and a few new acquaintances. I didn't really have any kind of social experience through it, but living at home gave me the money to do tonnes of things I wouldn't have otherwise been able to afford while I was at Uni - for example I went on tour in Europe with my band for 6 weeks during one of the summer holidays. No way I could have afforded to do that as well as make rent.

Chilly

Balls of steel
Just move there. I hugely regret having non-standard living arrangements at Uni, it sucks ass.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i had an amazing year in halls, but our halls were very different from most ive seen in the UK (much more open)

Go for it, at the very least it will be a nice change of scenery o_O

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
99.9% of degrees are not worth 9000 quid a year so you might as well pay for the experience

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Nottingham is one of the better places to be a student and Leicester is a shithole that needs carpetbombing. No brainer really.

(Seriously. Don't commute).

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Commuting feels easy at first, but you can't put a price on possibility for unipoon.

eksdee

FH is my second home
Don't go Uni, not worth the paper written on :p

#homestudy

Depends what you study and what you do with it. I couldn't be in my current line of work (graphic designer for 2 magazines) without my degree. I'm also looking at employing two more designers to work for me within the coming months due to us buying three new magazines and due to the amount of applications we receive, I won't even consider someone without a first class degree unless their portfolio/experience is exceptional.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Live at uni. 100%. No question.

This 100%.

Anything else and you would ruin one of the main and best features of University. Ruin it.

When I advise other people's kids on what University to go to I always say find a course you enjoy - but do your best to be at least 100 miles away from your parents as the temptation to live with the 'rents is quite great.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Depends what you study and what you do with it. I couldn't be in my current line of work (graphic designer for 2 magazines) without my degree. I'm also looking at employing two more designers to work for me within the coming months due to us buying three new magazines and due to the amount of applications we receive, I won't even consider someone without a first class degree unless their portfolio/experience is exceptional.

Well it was kind of a generic statement, but it is probably true for 90% of cases though.

Also what i've found from uni is that it is a stepping stone to the next level .. just an expensive one.

From my experience employers dont care what you've done, where you've been.. they want to know.. can you do this, can you do that, can you show me etc etc.

- English -

Resident Freddy
I make quite a lot of money using my physics and compsci training from uni. It's worthless if you get a 2:2 in a BS subject from a shit uni.

I guess it depends on the uni. I did a comp science degree at Staffordshire, (i know other people have been there from FH and might have different opinions). I'm currently doing another degree in web development in Denmark.

The lecturers at Stafford might be extremly clever but they couldnt teach the alphabet. There was 150-200 people in the lecture theatres, localised study groups were up to 30 people and they often just handed out work sheets to do, and as far as i know pissed around on their own PCs or went to the same group of cock sucking students everytime and helped them. We got 0 feedback from any assignments handed in and infact the only go to person was the course leader who didn't actually teach anything - she was brilliant but always asked why i went to her instead of the lecturers...

Now in compariason to my Danish uni...

25 people on the course
Excellent teaching, personalised lecture slides, 8-10 hours per module a week(3 modules a semester) and the teacher actually knows you (met a few in town center a few times and chatted for 15mins about things)
1-1 supervision whenever you want, ive met them out of teaching hours several times.
feedback for any work handed in
better examination system
free tuiton fees for the student

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I will tell my kids one thing; go to a decent (red brick or above) uni, otherwise don't bother. I'd also suggest doing it in an interesting city. The thought of going somewhere like Stafford or Milton Keynes would fill me with horror. Of course if we're still in Dublin and I can't pack them off to the UK, then that means UCD or Trinity and they'd probably live at home, which is totally not the point of University but quite common over here.

ileks

Part of the furniture
Absolutely live on campus in your first year.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I guess it depends on the uni. I did a comp science degree at Staffordshire, (i know other people have been there from FH and might have different opinions). I'm currently doing another degree in web development in Denmark.

The lecturers at Stafford might be extremly clever but they couldnt teach the alphabet. There was 150-200 people in the lecture theatres, localised study groups were up to 30 people and they often just handed out work sheets to do, and as far as i know pissed around on their own PCs or went to the same group of cock sucking students everytime and helped them. We got 0 feedback from any assignments handed in and infact the only go to person was the course leader who didn't actually teach anything - she was brilliant but always asked why i went to her instead of the lecturers...

Now in compariason to my Danish uni...

25 people on the course
Excellent teaching, personalised lecture slides, 8-10 hours per module a week(3 modules a semester) and the teacher actually knows you (met a few in town center a few times and chatted for 15mins about things)
1-1 supervision whenever you want, ive met them out of teaching hours several times.
feedback for any work handed in
better examination system
free tuiton fees for the student
Sounds like a shit uni. shrug. (Staffs, not the Danish one)

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
I applied to start Uni this year in Sept and plan to stay on campus, as people say I think it's part of the package.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Went to Staffs uni also, had a great time. Loved living on campus, tutors were decent (Apart from the web ones..) so it depends on the modules you do like on everything.

150-200 people in lecture theatres, that's what they're built for. You go there, get the material, self study. Don't see the point of complaining here in the slightest.
Classes were maybe 15-20 people (All the classes I took, anyway) and I got to know all my tutors rather well, work was just a addition to lectures - assuming you'd actually spent the time learning.
Feedback wasn't an issue for me at all. So can't comment.

For reference, my favourite tutors were the ones everyone hated (- English -: Euan, Dave, Rob etc) and I found them the better tutors, a PITA at the start but if people actually showed interest (Flew through my last year non-FYP work due to this) there'd be no issues)

Also, live on fucking campus else you'll regret it.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Live on Campus.

You will never have the same opportunity again. There is a good chance you will meet like minded people who you will be friends with for the rest of your life. If you hate it, you can always live at home after your first term. In the second year people live all over the place so then if you want to save money you can start commuting.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
How do Uni's keep going?
With the student fees and the march of online training, you would think they would be in freefall, but I guess there is so much more than just learning stuff, there's the snobbery and privilige of a degree, but surely the tsunami of change that is creeping over the horizon will wipe them out too.
I can only hope, but that is to dream of some utopia where we all share a common goal and ambition is a curious leftover.

- English -

Resident Freddy
Went to Staffs uni also, had a great time. Loved living on campus, tutors were decent (Apart from the web ones..) so it depends on the modules you do like on everything.

150-200 people in lecture theatres, that's what they're built for. You go there, get the material, self study. Don't see the point of complaining here in the slightest.
Classes were maybe 15-20 people (All the classes I took, anyway) and I got to know all my tutors rather well, work was just a addition to lectures - assuming you'd actually spent the time learning.
Feedback wasn't an issue for me at all. So can't comment.

For reference, my favourite tutors were the ones everyone hated (- English -: Euan, Dave, Rob etc) and I found them the better tutors, a PITA at the start but if people actually showed interest (Flew through my last year non-FYP work due to this) there'd be no issues)

Also, live on fucking campus else you'll regret it.

I had a great time also, met some nice guys and still remain in contact todate.

However I disagree with what you said about the teaching, but i have since seen better so its a matter of opinion. And tbh there is a point to complaining, since I paid £3,000 tuiton a year for something that wasn't worth it in terms of quality. And also what pissed me off was half the time in tutorial lessons they sent students lecturers to teach us. Its also why earlier i said if I was in the same situation i'd learn from home, which skips learning the pointless stuff in the course you will not use + save £9000 tuiton a year now.

I had Euan and Dave i think for Database Systems - they were decent and actually came around to check your progress, but some crap ones to mention #slade #fiona(web) #fred

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I had a great time also, met some nice guys and still remain in contact todate.

However I disagree with what you said about the teaching, but i have since seen better so its a matter of opinion. And tbh there is a point to complaining, since I paid £3,000 tuiton a year for something that wasn't worth it in terms of quality. And also what pissed me off was half the time in tutorial lessons they sent students lecturers to teach us. Its also why earlier i said if I was in the same situation i'd learn from home, which skips learning the pointless stuff in the course you will not use + save £9000 tuiton a year now.

I had Euan and Dave i think for Database Systems - they were decent and actually came around to check your progress, but some crap ones to mention #slade #fiona(web) #fred

Never experienced the student thing tbh, probably didn't do the modules.

Also, never had, agree and agree.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Networking can be key. I've met some absolutely fucking brilliant people at uni, some of them at halls. I lived in the fucking outrageous Murano Student Halls at Glasgow Uni. We had bloody riots up there. Once is enough for a lifetime, but I wouldnt change my decision. Go for it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
there's the snobbery and privilige of a degree
I think this is more about the jealousy and anti-intellectualism of quite a lot of scousers.

To be clever in that part of the world is to suffer idiots who think you should act in a manner as dumb as them, like the inane shit that they find hilarious and feel the shame that is actually their projected jealousy.

There's a fair few top-level intellectuals too - but you have to get off the beaten path to find them. However, when you do, they have a refreshing air of rubbed-up-the-wrong-way and tainted-by-experience and harsh life that gives them a genuine insight that clever people who've had it easy all their lives don't have.

:)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
eksdee said:

Didn't you study geology?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
l
I think this is more about the jealousy and anti-intellectualism of quite a lot of scousers.

Yes there is a lot of that, but on the other side of the coin, there is a lot of aloofness from uni types, who have basically never left school and think that their education raises them above the masses in more ways than just their knowledge.
I meet a lot of people with degrees and I can tell the exact look they will have on their face when they realise I don't have one, it's like they suddenly realise they are talking to a shit shoveller and they get all patronising.

No just a HND in electronics and telecommunications, degrees in my opinion teach a lot of people how to write an enormous amount of waffle, my ex boss was superb at it, it was like reading a marketing handbook for 'how to be a boss', he would pull me up for sending him email attachments written in notepad...LOL , I loved winding him up like that.
80% fluff and 20% substance, do they teach that in the last year?

Chilly

Balls of steel
Yeah, fuck uni. Who needs advanced scientific research that needs a decades of education to produce. Bollocks to high quality engineering with similar requirements. Let's all get HNDs in soldering and making phone calls and call people with masters and phds wankers and queers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom