Unexpected I/O error when trying to use Windows 10 reset PC feature.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
So a few weeks after getting a new mobo, CPU and grafics card i've started getting some odd OS freezes over the last few days where Windows basically stops responding but various programs i've had running (browsers and stuff) have still worked, at least for a while before they too stop responding.

Anyway i have now decided that i need to reinstall windows and am trying to use windows 10 "reset PC" feature, but the problem is that once it reboots the first time i get an I/O error. I've searched around and according to M$ it's because the harddrive and BIOS can't communicate reliably with each other.

So how do i fix that? They went on and said that it may be caused by some driver issues and that i had to "remove soundcards and other things" from bios..

I've tried disabling the onboard soundcard i have (the only soundcard i have) in BIOS and it's not working.

This is what the error says (taken from memory and translated from Swedish)

An unexpected I/O error has occurred. Status 0xc00000e9. Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a removable storage device connected to your computer. And something about reconnecting it properly and rebooting..

But i only have an internal HD and dvd rom...

My mobo is an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0, my grafics card is an EVGA GTX 750TI and my HD is a seagate baracuda 1TB..

MOBO settings is set on optimized defaults because i really hate to muck about in there.

At this rate i'm gonna have to buy a new HD and i really can't afford that right now, so if someone knows of a fix i'd appreciate it a lot..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
nope, i'll try that tomorrow. Thanks.

/edit: Do i need to install all those BIOS updates or is the newest one enough?

Last edited:

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Great thank you!

/edit: That bios update file is a .CAP, how am i supposed to install that?

Last edited:

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Put it on a usb drive, boot to bios, find the bios update and find the file.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
aha ok, sorry for all the stupid questions but i'm absolutely terrified here. The last thing i need is to have to buy a new motherboard. :)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well updating BIOS did not work. Still getting the same I/O error.. :(

But am i getting it because the hard drive and BIOS can't communicate as Microsoft claims in the support threads i've read about it?

Shouldn't i be getting errors booting up then as well? Or even have difficulty booting up in the first place?

That would be a logical assumption if BIOS have issues with the hard drive...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Chatting with microsoft support and it's doing my head in......

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
An hour of trying to explain the problem and failing. Apparently the error message i'm getting is so severe i shouldn't even be able to boot up the PC because he kept sending me links that was only about failure to boot up. And i couldn't get the guy to understand that i was in fact actually using it when i chatted with him.. I have no issues having to go through outsourced support techs, but they could at least hire people that are fluent in English... It's hard enough for muppets like me to explain wtf is going on, i don't really need an additional language barrier to punch through.. :)

Anyway, making a USB install media and hoping that'll work. But as far as i've seen that shit doesn't clean my harddrive. Which is the primary reason for me wanting to use the reset feature...

ECA

I am a FH squatter
An hour of trying to explain the problem and failing. Apparently the error message i'm getting is so severe i shouldn't even be able to boot up the PC because he kept sending me links that was only about failure to boot up. And i couldn't get the guy to understand that i was in fact actually using it when i chatted with him.. I have no issues having to go through outsourced support techs, but they could at least hire people that are fluent in English... It's hard enough for muppets like me to explain wtf is going on, i don't really need an additional language barrier to punch through.. :)

Anyway, making a USB install media and hoping that'll work. But as far as i've seen that shit doesn't clean my harddrive. Which is the primary reason for me wanting to use the reset feature...

When you reinstall, just format the drive.

Honestly this issue seems very weird, I wouldn't expect a MS tech to have a fucking clue.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Well, i finally managed to get the pc to reset only to get stuck with a fucking inaccessible boot device BSOD instead. And the fucking computer refuses to load the recovery environment so i can troubleshoot. Stupid thing has been on an infinite reboot loop for a few hours now.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
When you reinstall, just format the drive.

Honestly this issue seems very weird, I wouldn't expect a MS tech to have a fucking clue.
Yeah if there was a format option i'd have used it. But apparently the save nothing option does not work or does not mean what i expect it to mean.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Ooh, found the old fashioned format when doing a reinstall from the usb and it might actually work this time...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
And in a series of events that must surprise everyone... IT ACTUALLY DID WORK!

Now, dear PC... The next time you fuck with me...........

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Welp, it didn't actually solve those odd freezes, but i think i managed to spot the cause of it..

Does anyone know what fsavailux.exe is? What i can find about it on microsofts support forums only says it's "part of the OS" which was less then helpful. And the few other sites that mentioned it all seemed to have a different suggestion..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I've tried that and it can't find any issues.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
If you are struggling with drivers:

Driver Booster 3 for STEAM on Steam
If you're struggling with drivers... DON'T install some third party app with "booster" in the name. Although it has a high-ish rating, look at the "most helpful" feedback.

Drivers are so easy to deal with. Just google the model number of whatever it is you're trying to up date the driver for. If it's something onboard on a motherboard, go to the motherboard manufacturer's support page for that product and it has all the drivers for the onboard devices right there.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
My bad. I didn't do the research on the company Iobit. An extremely shady chinese software company.

The driver installation checked out for me though. Wouldn't just install blindly, as you´ll get an indicator as to what is needing updating. And to clarify, wouldn't have touched it outside of Steam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom