Unbalanced realms

What will you do?

• Stay and fight?

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • Abandon the realm and re-roll on a more balanced server?

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Abandon the realm and re-roll on a winning realm?

Votes: 4 5.1%

• Total voters

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Well we were talking about "consistent" factions.

Well, in daoc we had ogres as enemies of albion during the whole SI saga, then sudendly bred with the avalonians :eek6:

Undeads is prolly, along with orcs the most "solo" race (cant remember if dark elves too). All of the rest races have banded together in many frecuently: Lizardmen have banded with empire, skaven with chaos, chaos beasts with nord chaos, elfs with empire, chaos dwarfs with nord chaos, and so forth...
So i guess you could hook a point of consistency around the 2 cores: empire + chaos.

PS: id have used greenskins as the 3rd realm, n i'd for sure had joined 'em :p

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Think the 3 ream theory comes from DAOc though and imo what that give su...vs a 2 realm system is unpredictability.

With 2 opposing forces starting (roughly) at 2 oppsoing points, u eventually get into a 'forwards backwards' mentaility (see WOW Alterac Valley). In DAOc the addition of a third group appearing on your flank, rear or trapped between two arring enemies gave the game a WHOLE lot more flexibility and surprise.

How many times in DAOc can you remember charging the mids (for example) and as you charge a bunch of hibs also show up on another flank....Q 3 way mayhem.....good times.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Think the 3 ream theory comes from DAOc though and imo what that give su...vs a 2 realm system is unpredictability.

and why can't you have that with only 2 realms? an add is a add no matter what side it plays on. so for those that dont like it its just as bad anyway, and for those that wont mind them its still all the same.

having 2 or 3 realms doesn't really matter in terms of unpredictability.

playing smart on the other hand, does. not relying on a third party to liven up your* boring playstyle :)

*generally speaking, not aimed at anyone in particular.

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
and why can't you have that with only 2 realms? an add is a add no matter what side it plays on. so for those that dont like it its just as bad anyway, and for those that wont mind them its still all the same.

There was in DAOC the funny option of both contenders focusing on killing add (ironic punishement), something u wont have in a 2 sides realm...

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
How many times in DAOc can you remember charging the mids (for example) and as you charge a bunch of hibs also show up on another flank....Q 3 way mayhem.....good times.

I can't remember I've ever committed such a horrible crime as charging poor cute middies!

But I see your point though, and I think it's a valid one.

Votan

Fledgling Freddie
Stay and fight of course :)

Sure you'll have to be more careful but a dedicated group of defenders should be able to wreak some havoc amongst the attacking side :D

wijjijjyn

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, I hope they implement a 10% population differens max.
So if the greenskins/chaos/darkelves got 10% more than the other then you simply cant make a new character in that realm and must therefor make a underdog!
Pretty simple :D
And i dont have any answer for the topic :< havent seen any information about it or heard.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
There was in DAOC the funny option of both contenders focusing on killing add (ironic punishement), something u wont have in a 2 sides realm...

sure, but you still wont lose anything on the "unpredictability" with only 2 realms. sure, the adds will undoubtfully make one side win, but same goes if theres 3 realms, there will only be one side walking away :)

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
2 realms = 1 side or the other will get backed up and the fight carries on.

3 realms = either side could get backed up OR another 3rd party might enter the fight, with many new options thrown open to the 2 sides already fighting.

Im not complaining, but just think that the 3 way option woulda been much better. But then again they couldnt copy WOW BGs with 3 aside (i think ;p)

BAh, roll on WAR, then this 'war' of words can end and we can get down to smashing skulls and putting enemies fallen standards atop our battlements!

Aesgir

Loyal Freddie
But then again they couldnt copy WOW BGs with 3 aside (i think ;p)
That gave me a chuckle :D Hey i'll settle for when the NDA gets lifted and I finally get into the beta so i know what the heck is going on ;)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
But then again they couldnt copy WOW BGs with 3 aside (i think ;p)

WoW bg's isnt so bad, they are pretty good imo. its just the ppl playing them can't grast the thought around them.

but then again, its no worse there then the IRVR we have in DAoC at the moment.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
I left DAOC ages back, whats IRVR? :eek6:

BGs arnt RVR, open RVR but with people bickering that others shouldnt have 'helped kill the nemey' isnt RVR.

RVR is 2 sides (or 3 ;p) at war fighting each other in all their glory, which is what a lot of people are hoping for :england:

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
IRvR = Instant Realm vs Realm.

Basicaly with the release of new frontiers the ability to port to keeps your realm controls, from the boarder keep, came about. A supply line type thing. Loose a keep in the middle of the line, and loose the abilty to port to anything past it. This not only effect the keeps in your realm, but also any costal keeps in the other relams that your realm controled.

What would happen is some realms would let the others take keeps and maintain them, so they could port striaght over. Cutting out the 5-10 mins travel time. This was dubbed IRvR.

better example. Your an alb so ill do it in alb terms :p
Basicaly HIbs have Beno, and Mids control Eras. And fully controll everythin in there own realm. Both realms can port in and albs can port to Bold means all 3 realms can get together easly, in that triangle of land and beat the snott out of each other.

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Bah ;[

One of the things that made DAOC so great, so....unique, was standing on the battlements, strainign your eyes, rumours of 8 FGs of Mids...no wait, 10...no..20 FGs approaching your relic keep.

Gah at repetative BGs ;[.

One thing I AM against though, is locking people out from one side or another on certain realms due to balance.

Picture this. People wait Months (years) for this game. Whole guilds migrating. A guild sets up on 'Welsisfat' server and 2-3 of them suddenly get locked out of playing with their friends.

IMO that can and will ruin something that people have waited a long long time for. Sure its ok if its some1 else that suffers it, but put yourself in their shoes.

Lexa

Fledgling Freddie
One of your realm guards was killed with 386 enemies in the area :eek6:

Oskorei

Fledgling Freddie
WoW bg's isnt so bad, they are pretty good imo. its just the ppl playing them can't grast the thought around them.

but then again, its no worse there then the IRVR we have in DAoC at the moment.

Actually, when you and your premade group do get the point...it gets quite dull soon, it's always the same...like grinding...

vayasen

Fledgling Freddie
Yup WOW BGs are rinse repeat....SWAWN, RUN TO POINT A. FIGHT.

Repeat endless. It is NOT RVR.

I going to do everything possible, if they give us a game with the right setting, to try help forge a community such as we had on Prydwen...DAOC.

Fingers crossed we all and seperated playing mini games of 10 vs 10 (ie not a true MMORPG)

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Yup WOW BGs are rinse repeat....SWAWN, RUN TO POINT A. FIGHT.

Repeat endless. It is NOT RVR.

I going to do everything possible, if they give us a game with the right setting, to try help forge a community such as we had on Prydwen...DAOC.

Fingers crossed we all and seperated playing mini games of 10 vs 10 (ie not a true MMORPG)
You better hope they stop pushing scenarios as the next best thing very soon then.

Just about all their PR is about scenarios (and the Tome of Knowledge). What little we've heard about the battlefields and their objectives is that they're easy to capture (think towers in WoW's excuse for 'world PvP'). I don't recall hearing much more about them since I started following the game at around Dec. 2005.

I'm sure I'll love the game, it's just that some of the design decisions lately have left the "what the hell?" question lingering before my eyes.

Votan

Fledgling Freddie
Actually, when you and your premade group do get the point...it gets quite dull soon, it's always the same...like grinding...

So very true. Steamrolling pugs = yawnfest after a while. Fighting other premades is a lot more interesting.

The old XR and TM-SS battles were the closest thing WoW ever saw compared to RvR. With the introduction of the BG's and later the arenas that all died out.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
IMO that can and will ruin something that people have waited a long long time for. Sure its ok if its some1 else that suffers it, but put yourself in their shoes.

i agree completely.

but also think of the ppl that will play on the underpopulated sides. being the constant kill cow ruins it for them just as much, if not more then for the ppl that can't play with their original guild due to balance locks.

having a max cap on the number of ppl in a BG helps somewhat, but no way near as much as the devs think. because having a bigger population means more opportunities to kill the current uber boss for uber loot then what a underpopulated realm can, thus getting more ppl geared up faster.

sure some realms/servers will gear up faster then others for other reasons then balance issues, but that u cant really do anything about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom