unaccesable hard drive

Furr

Can't get enough of FH
Question time - new computer with one new hard drive maxtor 80GB and one old hard drive a maxtor 40GB. The old one has been selected as the primary and the new one is a secondary.I can detect the old one perfectly but not the new one. i can detect it in BIOS and device manager , but you cant use add new hardware to install it. Its being detected but you cant access it , its (supposedly)recently formatted by computer engineer but he may of formatted it for XP does anyone know anything that could help?
System specs Windows ME - may be the problem but cant upgrade anytime soon. Bios - pheonix.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Furr said:
its (supposedly)recently formatted by computer engineer but he may of formatted it for XP

If this is the case then NTFS is the default for XP, so it can't be used on ME which I think is FAT32 only (I might be corrected on this as I have little experience with ME).

If I recall, under pre-XP systems, you need to run FDISK to get it to go back to FAT32 and then reformat.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Correct that ME will only support FAT32.

I've never used ME, but there may be some form of built in disk management console (2000/XP has this), somewhere in Control Panel, or maybe somewhere in "Administrative Tools", if such a thing exists in ME. This will let you repartition and reformat the second disk from the 'safety' of graphical cuddliness.

-- If it doesn't have it then as Xane says, you'll need reformat it manually.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Boot into dos, run fdisk, delete the partitions, and create a new, primary partition.

Then, format it under windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom