UK QW CTF Nostalgia

N

NoLiFe (Sanjay)

NoLiFe (ACME/Redemption/VR)

OMG came across this while board after watching UK debate between possible leaders....god help us.....

Wow brings back so many memories...some of the best days of my life :)
I remember spending hours and hours learning to play and hanging out with you guys....was working as a junior doctor at the time doing 80 plus hours a week !?!! cant believe in retrospect would come back and plays for hours...

I loved some of those CTF maps so much...nothing ever compared and pretty much gave up online gaming afterwards....hated q2 so sloooowwww

Great to see some olde names here.....
Slick and the quad....ouch
Job3:25 taking on ASQ single handed when playing for VR after the other team had secured all the runes :)
Whez...damn he was fast
Splitter and Neil were awesome for HPBs

Getting ISDN.....god that was expensive.....getting on the london ADSL trial...

Hanging out in QD and ACME channels on irc...such cool chilled people...talking motorbikes with andy was always fun....ah yes and those private mp3 / warez servers

Meeting up with Nudel in cambridge and seeing what it is like to play on Janet with a ping below 15 :)
Meeting up in that internet cafe up north after 5hr drive from london with Avatar, playing all night and then driving home in morning....(Remeber AV doing 146mph on the M1 on way back !?!! no cameras :)

Playing for VR / ACME / Redemption was such good fun

Anyone know where I can download quake and the mods to play again?

Hope you all well.......

Best wishes

NoLiFe / Sanjay
(igo172@gmail.com)

K

Kickass

Good times

I've lurked for a bit now but finally chipping in - can't believe it's been over 10 years now!

My memory is rubbish, Han-do-Jin and Creepster can testify to that, but I still remember all those long nights on IRC and some fantastic games in the UKCTFL.

Like a few here I moved away from QW, through Q2, Q3 etc and then turned to the dark side - stopped keeping my PC up to spec and switched to xbox! I did sneak back and have a look at QW a few years later but I couldn't believe how fast it was - getting old and slow, but no idea how the hell we played that! Spiderman grappling round ruins firing quad rockets like a machine gun - awesome stuff.

Life's moved on since then - got married, had kids, spend all my time making games now and not enough time playing them.

It's good to see this thread alive and to remember all the great times we had and the great people taking part. Is Flametop still out there?

Kick.

L

Lizardking97

You old gits.

Ancient thread, but had to register again just to say hi to anyone that remembers me - I remember a few names in here from ye olden days. I remember the night on IRC that kryten almost wet himself as the Q3 demo appeared on the ID server. The night ted dressed up as a shambler and kicked the sh!t out of everyone in QWCTFL6, sounds really sad now but I loved the old days when playing qw used to actually cost us lots of BT money, and especially the old style BW forum that crashed all the time coz people were adding massive sigs to their posts - some were as much as 50k!.

You know when youre asked where you were when you heard that Princess Di had croaked - my answer is - "Mckinley Base with a dozen others". I was a big fan of creeper myself, and a reservist for ASQ though I could never really play coz I worked nights at the time - If the offers still open tho... ;)

Played a little Q2 and Q3 online, but it just wasnt the same. I gave up games but I have been playing Wolfenstein ET for the last few months. The fact that Im on here should indicate that Im looking for another killer game - may give TF2 a try.

slick

Fledgling Freddie
Some great memories :) I think a reunion (even if it has to be online!) is called for ....

PS. Don't suppose anyone knows what happened to the old DS guys like Poker and Parsley?

Padishar

Regular Freddie
Hi from 2012 to any of you old folks that stumble across this thread. I've recently taken to playing QL a bit and came across it again. QW (and QWCTF in particular) were really top times.

I went on to Tribes with quite a few of the DS guys including Poker and Parsley for a while but then mostly dropped out of the online gaming scene for quite a few years.

Anyone like the sound of that reunion?

Pad.

Creepster

Regular Freddie
heh... wow, *waves to people* was still watching this thread :)

A reunion is still a good idea ... HanDoJin and I are still playing games :)

rep0

Fledgling Freddie
I have a complete archive of all the ukctfl maps - some weren't bad (i was young) if anyone wants a mess - i even have an original worlcraft cd somewhere :) I'll always remember Charles (Fungous) who mentored me through the learning experience of developing ukctfl1 which wasn't entirely successful haha. Can anyone help me decode a .bsp file sensibly with todays software, i have a 1on1 map very dear to my heart. Don't mind about the magic marker on my head, i was messing after being completely mad after i'd had to clean the bathroom in a pair of blue marigolds yesterday, when i came across this thread! :)

rep0

Fledgling Freddie
the webcam has no time delay ;p

Attachments

• Picture 50.jpg
    Picture 50.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 12

Enrique

Fledgling Freddie
Wow what an amazing thread. Randomly googling for ctf nostalgia from the glory days, and I find this!

Well, if anyone actually reads this - Hi! [QD]Enrique in a former life. I would so love to see any screenshots or (gasp) videos of the ukctf maps, to jog my old brain back into action.

Imposter

Fledgling Freddie
Checking in from the long and distant past also. Maddog[255] from the ASQ. QW CTF was really outstanding and nothing has come close to that wow factor for me. I still grab a few hours of gaming most weekends... mainly World Of Tanks currently.

It's good to hear from all the old names, maybe a facebook group for UKCTF would work, anyone?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.
I think I had something to do with UKCTF but I'm so old now I've forgotten. I wonder what my nick was .... :D

I still have the mod code on several backup devices, I remember looking at it a few years ago and within a few minutes I'd already found two bug! :)

DarkHavok

Regular Freddie
[TBF] Rugrat checking in (my handle related to my perceived relative age to the other players I encountered).

I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while; thought I'd add my quick story.

Turned 16 just as Q1 released and got online a few months later, 33.6K modem I guess. Got into the CTF scene pretty quickly and after some good work on the public servers I was invited to join [TBF]. I think I played a few games within the UK CTFL, I see my name in one of the screenshots listed (https://forums.freddyshouse.com/attachments/150997-jpg.11/) [note I reconnected :p].

I attended the Kernow QuakeCon with mixed results in the main 1v1 tourney, and being under-aged missed the evenings entertainment. However, this was the moment I got my first taste of Team Fortress. Being a fairly useful RL player I quickly took to the solider class and remember doing fairly well in the public games that went on after the first rounds of the 1v1 tourney were finished.

I was poached to play some Team Fortress by [TF] Draq. (TF=The Firm) I played a few games with them in the UKTFL.

About the same time I found out about the Planet 13 internet cafe in St. Austell (Cornwall), also via Draq. They were holding weekly(?)monthly(?) lan events for local quake players, mainly Team Fortress orientated. Can't quite remember if my mum allowed me to bring her (crappy) PC along, but I know I attended a few gatherings. After a few months they formed the [Xiii] clan and I joined. I believe we played a few games in division 2 of the UKTFL, with mixed results.

Memory doesn't aid me at this point, which is likely early/mid 98. I know I lost access to a Quake-able PC around this time and had problems with HUGE phone bills, being a poor student. I completely dropped out of the scene by late 98/early 99 when I moved out of home and had no access to any PC for quite a while.

I've played a bit of HL TFC with fairly good results, but nothing spectacular. The only touch of competitive FPS I've played since was a couple of friendly matches for the PS3 TF2 clan [ICO]. I've played a fair amount of Quake Live recently, but find I can't give up anywhere near the amount of time required to get to a high standard. My PC's still far too crappy to play anything up-to-date.

Happily reminiscing :)

BTW - there are a load of demos over here - http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/demos/

Wish I still had my hoard of demos and screenies, but I think they're lost forever...

Specific [TBF] players' QW CTF demos:
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/demos/r-t/tbfhan2.zip
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/demos/r-t/tbfsplit1.zip
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/demos/r-t/tbfsplitg.zip

Last edited:

dyno

Fledgling Freddie
/me waves

hey guys & gals,

Miss all the peeps, fun, binds, naughty aliases, and the grapple and the hilarious moments in game and the locker rooms.

Big respect to all of the admins, hosters, and BW peeps tbh. I was too busy playing to really see how much time and sacrifice, they actually put aside, which made it that much more fun. TY respect.

I too have lost my disks etc, quite sad, so any other pics you have would be great to see :)

Does anyone have any records of the leagues played?

[808.dynodeath]

dyno

Fledgling Freddie
Blacky, i couldn't agree more fella...
I played alot of Q3/Q4 with Dyno and some Q3 with whez... I still keep in touch with John/Dyno very often and have recently watched the demos of when we went to Netgamez 99.... Whez, Rocco, Dyno, Lecter and myself...

Watching Whez/Rocco and Dyno holding midfield for quad then attacking was just pure perfection... then i would move forward to mid to destroy anyone that got in the way of the flagman whilst lecter done a good job of defending... Its just awesome watching the pace of the game and the skillz of everyone at that even... True memories!

Whez, when i went to ibiza 2 years ago i lost your number, been meaning to try and find an old email to reply to....

Icey/Ghaz

[005.IceMan] of ASQ
Icey.E from E ;)

EDIT - just dropped out the email to prevent bot mailing..... Jup.

Pretty special times Mr Iceman and peeps. I saw this board ages, ago, but sadly irl just didn't give me enough time to respond, yet gave me a real warmth to read :) Very good times. I miss grappling someone round a corner, and listening to them slowly lose health lol ;) I also glad that I was, mostly able to grapple away fast, when sl1ck came round the corners with quad ;) big up to everyone, FT, Kick Zarj, etc etc, and load of Dm'ers too, pumpkin funny, and all ASQ members, foes and NME's in game. Great to be a part of best multiplayer game ever played. Still in touch with whez, ice and others. I did some conversions of the qwctf LAN in Amsterdam, on youtube. google it netgamez 99 qwctf, maybe some memories. Anyone have any demos they want me to convert let me know.

"eat my shorts"

Dyno

Whez

Loyal Freddie
If anyone is interested in some nostalgia, I was checking to see if Quake 1 would even work on modern PCs these days, which lead me to seeing if there were any CTF servers up and I managed to get the whole thing going. I found two servers, one in Switzerland and one in USA. Both very playable and different. Swiss has the netquake feel and slower grapple with the original ID1 maps, and the USA one is the quakeworld speed we know it.

If anyone is interested- what you need to do is install and set up your quake. And then we'll get whoever wants some games and arrange a date/time.

It is super quick to install and configure. I can't seem to add the links to the files on this forum yet, but you can add me below and I will send the details.

Add me on Battlenet: Whez#21253 or Steam: Whez (the uk flag profile one).

Banjax

Fledgling Freddie
If anyone is interested in some nostalgia, I was checking to see if Quake 1 would even work on modern PCs these days, which lead me to seeing if there were any CTF servers up and I managed to get the whole thing going. I found two servers, one in Switzerland and one in USA. Both very playable and different. Swiss has the netquake feel and slower grapple with the original ID1 maps, and the USA one is the quakeworld speed we know it.

If anyone is interested- what you need to do is install and set up your quake. And then we'll get whoever wants some games and arrange a date/time.

It is super quick to install and configure. I can't seem to add the links to the files on this forum yet, but you can add me below and I will send the details.

Add me on Battlenet: Whez#21253 or Steam: Whez (the uk flag profile one).

Hey Whez :) I'll give you a nudge next time I'm on the PC. Im mostly on PS these days.

Hope life's treating everyone well.

All the best,
Marc/Banj

Poker

Regular Freddie
PS. Don't suppose anyone knows what happened to the old DS guys like Poker and Parsley?

Hehe yes, even older now, thanks for the reminder that you were one of the youngest (and fastest for sure)!

I still PC game from time to time but at a much more leisurely pace befitting my age, but then nothing was ever quite so fast as QW.

Found a very old screenshot from my pre-DS days, 25 years ago!

Screenshot 2022-03-28 112615.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom