UK citizenship test

dysfunction

FH is my second home
A good friend of mine had to take it. He's been taxpaying in this country for years - he'll have been paying about £15k to the government coffers every year because he's a high earner.

He's got a couple of kids now. Bought a house in Nottingham about 7 or 8 years ago.

I was ashamed that he had to do this. What kind of fucking country do we live in?

Why be ashamed? It's all part of the process of living here. Other countries do it too.
One where if you are not a citizen and want to be you have to take a test?

Oh and just because he has set down roots and has "integrated" doesn't make any difference. If they want to be a citizen they take a test. Simple.

My friend had to do it too. He quite enjoyed the whole ceremony thing they do.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
The test covers residency (indefinite leave to remain or free from immigration control) and citizenship (UK Passport) but you only need to take it once

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
and i suppose "lets make it fucking stupidly difficult to cut down on handing out residency to everyone and their dog" is beyond the realms of possibility ? :p

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
In theory yes but that line of thinking only really applies to fluent English users (ESOL level 3 and above) everyone else who can't do the test due to English ability can do the easy course route.
Anyway, the test is only 1 part of the whole residency piece, still need the financials, co-habitation and having not been naughty.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why be ashamed? It's all part of the process of living here. Other countries do it too.

No consideration about whether it's right or wrong in your post there Dys. And your reasoning is "others do it so it must be right".

This process is shit, wasteful, insulting and worthless.

Tell me (direct question): After seeing/taking the test as shown - what useful function does it perform?

IMO this is what it is: Some people are, rightly, scared that "foreigners" are taking their jobs away. This is never going to stop - these "foreigners" tend to be humans that are either better than the natives or more willing to do a shit job.

The government doesn't want to do anything about it - immigration is a necessary part of keeping the country going. The inequalities of wealth that are such a temptation for the poor (and the rich) are a natural by-product of capitalism.

So, on the one hand we've a bunch of retards who want something done about these "damn foreigners" and on the other a bunch of autocrats who don't.

So, the autocrats wang a stack of money at some shitty worthless "test" in order to show the retards that they're "doing something". You can tell it's a shitty worthless test simply by looking at it - as we have done here.

Embarrasing waste of money. Shameful obvious idiocy...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
No consideration about whether it's right or wrong in your post there Dys. And your reasoning is "others do it so it must be right".

This process is shit, wasteful, insulting and worthless.

Tell me (direct question): After seeing/taking the test as shown - what useful function does it perform?

IMO this is what it is: Some people are, rightly, scared that "foreigners" are taking their jobs away. This is never going to stop - these "foreigners" tend to be humans that are either better than the natives or more willing to do a shit job.

The government doesn't want to do anything about it - immigration is a necessary part of keeping the country going. The inequalities of wealth that are such a temptation for the poor (and the rich) are a natural by-product of capitalism.

So, on the one hand we've a bunch of retards who want something done about these "damn foreigners" and on the other a bunch of autocrats who don't.

So, the autocrats wang a stack of money at some shitty worthless "test" in order to show the retards that they're "doing something". You can tell it's a shitty worthless test simply by looking at it - as we have done here.

Embarrasing waste of money. Shameful obvious idiocy...

I think the entire process of becoming a UK citizen is right.
And therefore I don't think it is a waste of money, embarrassing or idiocy.

Seeing the test out of context of the whole process gives a skewed view of the process...

How did your friend find the whole process? Did they pass? Are they now happy they are a UK Citizen?
My friend didnt mind doing any of it at all and is now extremely happy to be a UK Citizen

mr.Blacky

Can't get enough of FH
21. Who is the monarch not allowed to marry?

Correct answer: Anyone who is not a Protestant

? I thought the current act of settlement was that the correct answer was anyone who is Roman Catholic?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

? I thought the current act of settlement was that the correct answer was anyone who is Roman Catholic?

It is. Can't even get their own stupid questions right.

Mabs

lol thats what i thought
went with the under 25 option or whatever is was :/

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
How did your friend find the whole process? Did they pass? Are they now happy they are a UK Citizen?
My friend didnt mind doing any of it at all and is now extremely happy to be a UK Citizen

Of course he passed - he's not a bleeding retard - passing was a formality and that in itself says a lot.

He found it a pathetic waste of time which taught him nothing useful at all. He also had to take a day off work - therefore losing a day's pay - to boot.

You failed to answer my direct question, which I'll ask again:

After seeing/taking the test as shown - what useful function does it perform?

(I'd also add what useful function can it perform when it's full of assinine questions and gives you no additional skills)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Of course he passed - he's not a bleeding retard - passing was a formality and that in itself says a lot.

He found it a pathetic waste of time which taught him nothing useful at all. He also had to take a day off work - therefore losing a day's pay - to boot.

You failed to answer my direct question, which I'll ask again:

After seeing/taking the test as shown - what useful function does it perform?

He didn't have to take the test. It is optional. He could still live and work here but just not be a full citizen. Like I said before it's his choice to do this. You are not forced to so complaining that you have lost a days wages is just rubbish.

I'd say it separates the wheat from the chaff as well as putting some people off from becoming a UK Citizen because they can't be bothered to jump through all the hoops.

Yes some of the questions may seem odd. I'm not disputing that.

The test is not to learn new skills! It's not there to give you an extra advantage to your working life! Some people may learn things. All depends on how long they have lived here for, if English is their first language, how different their culture is to the UK....

You think the whole process is crap. I don't. End of.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Took it again today(without reading any of the correct answers etc), went up to 12/24.

This test is absolutely accurate :D

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
He didn't have to take the test. It is optional. He could still live and work here but just not be a full citizen. Like I said before it's his choice to do this. You are not forced to so complaining that you have lost a days wages is just rubbish.

He had to take it or he would have had to leave the country. End of.

I'd say it separates the wheat from the chaff as well as putting some people off from becoming a UK Citizen because they can't be bothered to jump through all the hoops.

To separate wheat from chaff you need a challenge. This test is not a challenge.

Also - why make people jump through pointless hoops? Make them jump through hoops that are worth it, if you must - but don't insist they learn a load of meaningless wank that most of the population of Britain doesn't know anyway.

Hoops? Process? I'm not necessarily against that. But meaningless drivel?

You're arguing for beauracracy for beauracracy's sake...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
He had to take it or he would have had to leave the country. End of.

To separate wheat from chaff you need a challenge. This test is not a challenge.

Also - why make people jump through pointless hoops? Make them jump through hoops that are worth it, if you must - but don't insist they learn a load of meaningless wank that most of the population of Britain doesn't know anyway.

Hoops? Process? I'm not necessarily against that. But meaningless drivel?

You're arguing for beauracracy for beauracracy's sake...

ok.

Mabs

we dont need to know it , cos we were "lucky" enough to be born here.
if you want to live here, then show you are making an effort to integrate yourself into the country you have chosen by doing a bit of research, is that so hard ?
most of this stuff is pointless, but it shows you have bothered to try. If you dont want to do, feck off and live in zimbabwe or somewhere :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
we dont need to know it , cos we were "lucky" enough to be born here.
if you want to live here, then show you are making an effort to integrate yourself into the country you have chosen by doing a bit of research, is that so hard ?
most of this stuff is pointless, but it shows you have bothered to try. If you dont want to do, feck off and live in zimbabwe or somewhere :p

Wouldn't going to one of your pubs, drinking (insert beer depending on region here), rabbling about (insert local footie team here) and shagging one of your female units suffice as cultural integration?

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We don't hate foriegners, it's just Britain seems kinda full as it is, every freakin road is grid locked, people in London seem to live about 10 to a room and they're talking about building on the countryside cos there's not enough houses.
Iv'e driven right across Vikingland all the way to North Cape (very nice, saw the sunset)
and you lot have like a lake each and you're moaning as much as us maybe a bit more because dark skin sticks out a lot more in whiteyland.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

Didn't know you were religious dys! That's what christians do when faced with an argument based on reason - refuse to debate so their beliefs can't be shaken. You believe these are a good thing but aren't willing to discuss their obvious weaknesses as it would undermine your faith in your preconceptions.

Settles the argument in my favour IMO. :p

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Wouldn't going to one of your pubs, drinking (insert beer depending on region here), rabbling about (insert local footie team here) and shagging one of your female units suffice as cultural integration?

Lulz :)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Didn't know you were religious dys! That's what christians do when faced with an argument based on reason - refuse to debate so their beliefs can't be shaken. You believe these are a good thing but aren't willing to discuss their obvious weaknesses as it would undermine your faith in your preconceptions.

I just can't be bothered anymore...

Jeros

Part of the furniture
How ironic, thousands bustling to get in, and thousands of UK citizens by birth emigrating AWAY.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
So tempted to make a joke on the color of your text.

Damn coleminers ruining the UK.

Maybe if we still had some sort of industry there would be sufficent jobs for people not to look elseware.

throdgrain

FH is my second home

Stop going on you MASSIVE woman!!!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Stop going on you MASSIVE woman!!!

Hey, I'm out of work at the mo so if I wanna sit around one day being pedantic* I bloody well will :p

:)

*if pedantism means wanting to debate an issue properly so an end can be reached

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom