Competition Two Months To Burn?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Dunno really @Big G. Ideally I don't really want to spend more than £150. I've just realised that Alpkit are based a bike ride away from my house so if the deliveries come in early enough tomorrow I'll jump on the bike and roll out to see them. I quite like their Koala seat bags (though I don't know how that'd work with a dropper post) - but it gives me an excuse to get on the bike - I've been lazy today when I could have gone out and hit it) - there's a nice 35-mile canal loop with a pub stop an hour from the end :)

I interested in their Pipedream 400 and Skyehigh 700 longs but with a pack size of 64x36 (circumference x height) for the Skyehigh that's a fuck of a lot of room :(

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So I bought that Skyehigh 700 long. It's a bit heavier and a fair bit larger than the tent but with a compression sack can squeeze down small enough.

I've also bought a big orange one of these for under my saddle so, frankly, with 32l on my back and 16 under my saddle I'll have an embarrasment of space.

I'm thinking of testing all the kit on the Lon Las Cymru - National Cycle Route 8 from Cardiff to Holyhead. It's supposed to be the toughest of the UK's official cycle routes but if I keep it down about 50-60 miles a day and I'm lucky with the weather I hope that I can make it without bailing like a girl. :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK, holiday insurance. I need a month's cover, I'll be doing some backpacking etc so I want all my kit covered.

Fairly straightforward, you think. However, the question is this: If I buy a bike out there how do I ensure that that's insured too?

If I spend 4 grand on a bike I want to know that I'm covered. @Tom / @TdC you ever done something like that? @Big G?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Dunno chum, try @DaGaffer for extended cover, I've only ever been away for 3 weeks at a time and only needed 'standard' cover or winter sports.

What does your house insurance say? I've got all my camera stuff covered to the tune of a few thousand for worldwide on the house insurance. Travel insurance only covers the obvious.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
OK, holiday insurance. I need a month's cover, I'll be doing some backpacking etc so I want all my kit covered.

Fairly straightforward, you think. However, the question is this: If I buy a bike out there how do I ensure that that's insured too?

If I spend 4 grand on a bike I want to know that I'm covered. @Tom / @TdC you ever done something like that? @Big G?

Where have you decided to go? If its the US, you'll need specific cover and its a lot more expensive than a regular World-wide policy. If you want your bike to be insured, check your credit card policy; you might be covered that way, if not, you'll have to take out a specific policy.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Where have you decided to go? If its the US, you'll need specific cover and its a lot more expensive than a regular World-wide policy. If you want your bike to be insured, check your credit card policy; you might be covered that way, if not, you'll have to take out a specific policy.
I'm heading to california for a month next week. I won't own a bike when I go over there but I may be purchasing one of these at some point. I can't see Barclaycard covering 4 grand whilst I'm on holiday.

Maybe I should just get holiday insurance and then if I get a bike specific insurance to cover that? I dunno how that'd work :\

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You should phone your insurance company to see what they say.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm heading to california for a month next week. I won't own a bike when I go over there but I may be purchasing one of these at some point. I can't see Barclaycard covering 4 grand whilst I'm on holiday.

Maybe I should just get holiday insurance and then if I get a bike specific insurance to cover that? I dunno how that'd work :\

Check. A credit card purchase would cover say, a high end watch, so I'm not sure a bike would be off limits. What will be expensive in the US will be your travel insurance, just because of the mad medical costs.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Check. A credit card purchase would cover say, a high end watch, so I'm not sure a bike would be off limits. What will be expensive in the US will be your travel insurance, just because of the mad medical costs.
Can't find anything on the Barclaycard website. :(

Meh, I guess I'll have to do some ringing.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
@DaGaffer (or anyone), just thinking - if I bought and used a bike out there, would I still be liable for "import" duties?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
yes

unless you have really, really easy-going duty officers. problem is that you'll automatically become "odd size" or sporting goods luggage, which insta-means having your shite looked at unless/and/or/maybe not if you had the same ticket coming in to the country. imo. ofc. wtf. bbq.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom