Competition Two Months To Burn?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So, I thought I'd run a competition! With a prize and everything!

I start work on 29th March and until then I've got time to piss up the wall. Not wanting to waste my life wanking (more than I already do) I'm trying to plan a few trips and am gathering ideas - and said ideas is what I'm after.

If you had a couple of months to burn what would you do, where would you go?

Bear in mind a few things:

1) Cheap.
2) Can't involve travel outside Blighty with the exception of what I'm going to go into detail with below.
3) Cheap.

I've a mate who lives here, so I'll more than likely spend three weeks over there.

He's in LA and I'm toying with the idea of flying into San Francisco and taking ten days to ride down him via this route. However, that would put me on tarmac a lot, and wide fast-running tarmac at that, and considering I dislike that stuff (and sharing it with cars) and that I run a proper bike with big tyres it'd also make it tough going.

The other thing I've got a problem with is that I kinda have a hankering to go here, and, despite my girlfriend saying in no way am I allowed, to buy one of these rather expensive and nerdy lovelies.

If I did purchase then that'd put paid to the long point-to-point rides but the prices over there are about a grand cheaper than over here, so I could get a bike, pads, bike bag, pay for my flights and probably some trips for the price of the same over here. I guess I need @Tom or @TdC to talk me out of this purchase and tell me how much more fun and cost effective it would be for me to take my current ride and bin off the Nomad fantasy.

Aaaanyway. I'd also want some touristy stuff to go see / do in or about either location (San Fran or LA - specifically more LA stuff tho as that's where it's free for me to stay).

Anyone been there? Anyone got any "unmissable" stuff. Any trips I should definitely be looking to take / do?

Other than the above, at least one month (probably February) will be spent in Blighty. During that time I want to get reasonably fit and will probably be wanting to spend the weekends at home - I've promised the missus kayaking instruction at Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham - but I can fuck off during the week to do whatever my heart desires - or, indeed, stay at home and do the cool things that you guys are hopefully going to suggest.

So. The prize!:

The best ideas will be taken up by me and done! During which time I won't be available to post on Freddyshouse. How great is that, eh?! The more cool shit that you come up with, the less I'll be about!

Win-fucking-win! :D

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Can't speak for San Fran but I've been to LA a few times with work, normally only for a day or two at a time but there's always plenty to do.

Main thing I'd suggest are the studio tours whilst you are there, lots of good info on how the film industry works and some of the tricks they play on you (like how not a single episode of Friends was shot in New York) - the Universal tour has a (fairly average) theme park attached to it - must admit I preferred the Warner Bros tour as there was more time spent on set. We went as a massive group but you can just turn up and they will add you to a group that has space.

Other part of LA I remember being awesome, but sadly not the name of, was a street full of music shops and other associated places - pretty cool as most of the LA based bands recorded their albums round there - but will need to check with the guys I went with as I'm crap with names and can't recall.

We normally spend most of our time round head office in Santa Barbara, which is a couple of hours up the 101 from LA. Beautiful place, with an excessive amount of microbreweries nearby.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Beer me, I'm done with work after this Friday, saying that, I have 2 and a half months to write a dissertation but that hardly matters!

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
In which case The Island Brewery in Carpenteria should be your destination, cracking beer and best atmosphere of any bar I've ever been to.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Don't informative me and not reply.

Don't forget it was you who I bumped off twice.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Ooh. Addition. Anyone got any recommendations on any small and superlight camping gear? After a 3-seasons two-man tent which packs up small and weighs less than a kilo, a sleeping bag and a bivvy...

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
So, I thought I'd run a competition! With a prize and everything!

I start work on 29th March and until then I've got time to piss up the wall. Not wanting to waste my life wanking (more than I already do) I'm trying to plan a few trips and am gathering ideas - and said ideas is what I'm after.

If you had a couple of months to burn what would you do, where would you go?

Bear in mind a few things:

1) Cheap.
2) Can't involve travel outside Blighty with the exception of what I'm going to go into detail with below.
3) Cheap.

I've a mate who lives here, so I'll more than likely spend three weeks over there.

He's in LA and I'm toying with the idea of flying into San Francisco and taking ten days to ride down him via this route. However, that would put me on tarmac a lot, and wide fast-running tarmac at that, and considering I dislike that stuff (and sharing it with cars) and that I run a proper bike with big tyres it'd also make it tough going.

The other thing I've got a problem with is that I kinda have a hankering to go here, and, despite my girlfriend saying in no way am I allowed, to buy one of these rather expensive and nerdy lovelies.

If I did purchase then that'd put paid to the long point-to-point rides but the prices over there are about a grand cheaper than over here, so I could get a bike, pads, bike bag, pay for my flights and probably some trips for the price of the same over here. I guess I need @Tom or @TdC to talk me out of this purchase and tell me how much more fun and cost effective it would be for me to take my current ride and bin off the Nomad fantasy.

Aaaanyway. I'd also want some touristy stuff to go see / do in or about either location (San Fran or LA - specifically more LA stuff tho as that's where it's free for me to stay).

Anyone been there? Anyone got any "unmissable" stuff. Any trips I should definitely be looking to take / do?

Other than the above, at least one month (probably February) will be spent in Blighty. During that time I want to get reasonably fit and will probably be wanting to spend the weekends at home - I've promised the missus kayaking instruction at Holme Pierrepont in Nottingham - but I can fuck off during the week to do whatever my heart desires - or, indeed, stay at home and do the cool things that you guys are hopefully going to suggest.

So. The prize!:

The best ideas will be taken up by me and done! During which time I won't be available to post on Freddyshouse. How great is that, eh?! The more cool shit that you come up with, the less I'll be about!

Get sectioned for two months. Or locked up. Very cheap. Food provided. If your sectioned you can get some interesting drugs as well.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't want to be the voice of doom, but the PCH is lethal for cyclists (and motorcyclists) - just Google "pch cyclist death", you get a LOT of results. American drivers are terrible. It would also be fucking awful on a mountain bike. Its a great drive; I've done it twice, but...no, not on a bike. Not really got much to add about LA etc. I'm a bit out of date on what's what.

If you want to do a good cycle route, cheap and (nearly) blighty; try the Wild Atlantic Way. I've still not done it, but everyone I know who has raves about it.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I don't want to be the voice of doom, but the PCH is lethal for cyclists (and motorcyclists) - just Google "pch cyclist death", you get a LOT of results.
Yeah. I hate tarmac in the UK, the idea of it in America isn't the best tbh. It's why I choose to rock down this stuff (last week) than road. Rock + my weight and speed is better than metal + 2 tonnes of 50mph.

If I end up purchasing the Nomad then I'll have a pita getting out to places where I can ride it tho because 1x11 chainsets aren't designed to propel you long distances. :\

If you want to do a good cycle route, cheap and (nearly) blighty; try the Wild Atlantic Way. I've still not done it, but everyone I know who has raves about it.
Maybe summer bank holiday territory with the missus that rather than winter on my todd. I think Wales, the Peak District and the Lakes are a certainty in Feb tho.

Fweddy

FH is my second home
Ooh. Addition. Anyone got any recommendations on any small and superlight camping gear? After a 3-seasons two-man tent which packs up small and weighs less than a kilo, a sleeping bag and a bivvy...

Alpkit are generally well regarded for budget lightweight gear, might be worth a look.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Alpkit are generally well regarded for budget lightweight gear, might be worth a look.
Yeah, was looking at their stuff last night. Ultralight camping gear can get very expensive - but then lugging kilos of shit about gets very unpleasant quickly.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.

Need more requirements than that, define:

- temp ranges
- number of people
- number of days

etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Need more requirements than that, define:

- temp ranges
- number of people
- number of days

etc.
Temp ranges is down to freezing (but not often). Two man. I'd happily rough it for a week but chances of that happening are few and far between (and frankly, if you pass a shop that's a reset button as far as I'm concerned). So most likely 3 night stopovers.

Gonna get used in the US (if my mate ever picks up his phone) and in blighty bikepacking and kayaking trips. If I'm lucky they'll also get used in the alps, but most likely not in hard snow.

old.user4556

For a kick off, I use this place for a guide:

Ultralight Outdoor Gear - Passionate suppliers of the most lightweight, functional and best quality backpacking, trekking and adventure racing gear. - allows you to filter down to product categories and sort by weight so you can pick your tool as necessary.

Tent wise, a lot of good things out there about the Nordisk tents - light (less than 1kg) and pack up small.

For a camping mat, I've got a Therm-a-rest Neoair Xlite - it's 350g and packs up into a 500ml bottle of coke sized pack. Temperature comfort limit is about -5c.

Sleeping bags are quite subjective depending on if you're a warm or cold sleeper, but as a generalisation (if you're camping in the dry mostly) then stick with all natural down as it's lighter and more compressible than synthetic.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheers @Big G. I'd pretty much decided on the Them-a-rest Xlite but I hadn't come across that tent before. Looks very snug (I'm 6'2" and quite broad) but I'm amazed at the weight for the price.

I'd been looking at stuff like the Nemo Blaze 2P and the ridic. expensv. Zpacks Duplex. That Nordisk tent a personal recommendation?

I was going to go for a down sleeping bag as I'd have a lined tent rather than single walled. Could always carry a bivvy I suppose.

*sigh*. Another shedload of money.

old.user4556

Cheers @Big GThat Nordisk tent a personal recommendation?

Not from a personal experience, but the Nordisk tents are very well regarded and they're not cheap. I did a lot of teeth sucking over the price, and ended up deciding to go with a Zephyros 1 man tent for a third of the cost (I got it for £100 delivered) - it's an extra 600g and doesn't pack quite as small, but it's still compact at 52cm x 14cm and straps onto the bottom of my rucksack easily. I can shave off 600g in other places (got an 850+ power fill down sleeping bag that was originally £440 for £265 delivered which was a good 500g lighter than a £200 650 power fill down sleeping bag).

Edit: there is a premium version of my tent that's made of a lighter material, also expensive but maybe worth a look? Here's the two man version.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah, I'd looked at the Lazer Competition 2 too. There's not an *amazing* variety out there and of course ultralight means small. I guess I'm just faffing over the price tbh.

I'll wang the top 3 in a spreadsheet and get weight / packed size (important if I'm going to wang 'em in a biking backpack along with a sleeping bag, some clothes, spares etc.) / living space (to keep the missus happy) down and pick one from there. You found a good price on the Nordisk tho - 360 quid is pretty spanky for that.

old.user4556

If you'll get the use out of it regularly (sounds like you're rather outdoorsy) then I say go for it.

Me personally, I'll camp a couple of times a year max so it was hard to justify treble the cost for just over half a kilo.

I've shifted 12lbs of fat since January 1st so that's gone some way to cover the extra weight as well ;).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If you'll get the use out of it regularly (sounds like you're rather outdoorsy) then I say go for it.
Born-again outdoorsy. Was as a teenager but my twenties not at all really. Got my ankles fixed at 30 and it's becoming an every-other-weekend thing. So yeah. I guess :)

I've shifted 12lbs of fat since January 1st so that's gone some way to cover the extra weight as well ;).
Christ. Well done old bean. What've you been doing?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin

sounds like a lot of win, although riding US roads...fuck no. I'd do trails and parks fo' sho but roads?

'nother vote for down sleeping bags. I've had mine for nearly 20 years now. keeps me warm. do go for a decent mat to go with it. also, re (self) inflating mats, do pack a puncture kit. I once punctured a mat a third of the way into an outdoorsy thing in the nordics and that was -not- fun. No air = no isoloation. you can pack all the down you want but that will not help you when you're basically lying directly on the cold, cold, coooold ground :)

re bike.....meeeeeeeh-ish. it's heavy enduro, or looks it to me at least. great if you actually live in Whistler but otherwise you'll be hard pressed to make actual use of it's capabilities.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
re bike.....meeeeeeeh-ish. it's heavy enduro, or looks it to me at least. great if you actually live in Whistler but otherwise you'll be hard pressed to make actual use of it's capabilities.
Yep, it's a big hitter. However, it pedals almost as well as the Bronson but decends better.

I'm starting to have holidays where gravity decents are a thing but you're right, other than Snowdon in Wales I'm pushed to find a lot of reason to go with 160mm of travel. The other thing to consider tho is if I got something a bit lighter (like the Bronson) then it'd be closer to my Cotic and I'd be torn for what to take out.

Aaaaargh! :eek:

Yeah. I guess it'd be a total luxury bike. But my hardtail isn't cutting it on some of the big rocky stuff I'm starting to do (would have been a total waste of time taking it to tenerife last week) and I'm struggling to make logical sense of where to go next. (Obvs would be keeping the Cotic).

Talk more sense into me man. @Tom, care to add your £0.02?

Edit: I'm with ya on the roads. I was trying to talk myself into a Nomad and then a windy (public transport driven) trip to LA stopping (and camping) at various mountains / bike parks...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I haven't a clue about mountain bikes other than to say buy nice or buy twice. Oh and try not to get a pressed BB because they're all shite. Stick with standard 68mm British threaded shells and 24mm external bearings.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I haven't a clue about mountain bikes other than to say buy nice or buy twice.
Aye. If I rock up in Santa Cruz I guess I get to demo away for a small fee so I at least get the option of avoiding punching my credit card in the balls.

However, I do have a *three* bike rack, so there's a whole space going begging there...

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I go to LA at least 4 times a year sometimes for up to a month. LA city and surrounding area I avoid like the plague. North and South of LA there are some fantastic areas. South from Newport to Dana Point and San Clemente there are some really nice areas with lots of trails to walk or bike. This is where I spend most of my weekends whilst there.

FYI on MTB trails around LA. The laguna Beach (hire/shop) run I did several times and it is quite stunning, especially this time of year when the hills are still green.

SF - These guys would be good to comms with About Stoked SF Adventure Tour Company

old.user4556

Christ. Well done old bean. What've you been doing?

I super indulged in the run up to (and over) Christmas. I got back from Austria on the 2nd and stood on the scales - 13st 13.8lbs - that's about 1.5 st over what i should be for my height, so cut out all refined sugar and started making big batches of home made lentil soup. So basically, I've had soup for dinner for the past month and the weight dropped off!

Hawkwind

FH is my second home

Me personally, I'll camp a couple of times a year max so it was hard to justify treble the cost for just over half a kilo.

well done! lost 5Kg myself, eating salads and cutting carbs. Don't do much in the way of sugar anyway.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
OK, pulled the trigger on that Nordisk tent @Big G. Also the thermarest xlite (large) and an Osprey Escapist 32 (I own the raptor 12, which is an amazing piece of kit so didn't even hesitate on the escapist).

Just trying to find a decent sleeping bag that packs down small, will keep me warm down to freezing but won't bust my already straining bank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom