'Turn Left' in your life

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I regret having only 1 lifetime to try everything I've always fancied - thats my only real regret - it would be great to live forever to get a chance to try it all but alas not yet possible.

There are no bad decisions and conversely its impossible to 'waste' your life - in the cosmic scheme all human endeavours are laughably pointless so just try to enjoy it and learn from whatever set of experiences you get.

The person who made decisions in your past has gone - there is only the now because tomorrow you'll be someone else...

That is brilliant!

All you need to do is string it out with a step by step guide and make it into a self help book and you could make a mint.

though old.Tohtori if that offer does come up and you decide to turn it down, give me a shout i'll be right over to take your place.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I dont have any major regrets. Sometimes I wonder how my life would be if:

a) I had stayed in South Africa and not moved to England or
b) My parents had stayed in England and never gone to South Africa

Life is really all about doing things that make you and those around you happy...

dysfunction

FH is my second home
What a fatuous thing to say. Of course there are. People make terrible decisions all the time. Ask George Bush.

Thats just your opinion...
You can't prove that If he had made completely different choices things would be "better"

:p

ECA

I am a FH squatter
I can't turn left, I'm not an ambiturner!

fuck regrets.

soze

I am a FH squatter
School- Letting a group of friends tell me what i did and did not want to do. Ruining the grades i could have got. Wish i had of told them to piss off and got on with it.
Being too scared to say "I Love You" to someone i really did love and losing her because of that.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Ignore Wazz he still has some stoodent anger left :eek:

*touches Wazz on the beard*

By the comments made in here, it is all of you that are the emo student faygots. Is this a secret "My Chemical Romance are aces" thread?

rynnor

Rockhound
Thats just your opinion...
You can't prove that If he had made completely different choices things would be "better"

:p

Indeed - humans are not omniscient - we cannot predict the outcome of our actions to the nth degree thus bad decisions are only shown as such after the fact.

Thats why there are no bad decisions - merely decisions - sometimes the outcome is bad but even a bad decision may have good effects we dont realise or that are completely outside our awareness.

Its best to just get on with life and live it as it comes rather than worrying what might have been.

rynnor

Rockhound
What a fatuous thing to say. Of course there are. People make terrible decisions all the time. Ask George Bush.

Lets take George Bush - say the decision to invade Iraq - did he know from the start it would turn out so badly - of course not!

If things had worked out differently we might now be lauding him with praise - so what your saying is that decisions are only shown to be bad after the fact - but of course thats a completely useless piece of knowledge - thats why I say there are no bad decisions - just consequences that we can never envisage.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Lets take George Bush - say the decision to invade Iraq - did he know from the start it would turn out so badly - of course not!

If things had worked out differently we might now be lauding him with praise - so what your saying is that decisions are only shown to be bad after the fact - but of course thats a completely useless piece of knowledge - thats why I say there are no bad decisions - just consequences that we can never envisage.

Except almost everyone with a half a brain, and quite a few with even less than that, can and did predict exactly what was going to happen in Iraq. Your supposition is that we make every decision with no information to make plans, which obviously isn't true; all the evidence suggests sticking your hand into a operating woodchipper is a bad idea; George Bush had similar warnings about Iraq before he went in (Jesus, his own father made a speech warning against it as far back as 1992), but decided to stick his hand in the metaphorical woodchipper anyway.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
Thats why there are no bad decision

do we even make decisions?

my interpretation of life is that our future is determined by past events. look at it from a physics point of view if you want. if you know the distance a car skidded for, you can calculate it speed. its a variable that has decided what happens.

to apply this to life as i see it, there is past variables which decide your action. people believe in tarot cards, mystic meg and all those other *****. while yes i do believe your future is determined, i dont think we yet have a way to calculate the events so we cant predict the future, yet. we know for a car skidding, its speed can be calculated. the calculation can go backwards or forwards. i believe once we know the variables for our selves, we could then predict how the future will turn out. i believe there is also some quantum physics work going on which can predict the state of apparently totally random particles. how can you predict a random event without taking into account that a previous action has decided the event?

donnie darko is a good example as you can interpret the film how ever you want, but youve got something to demonstrate. if you remember the scene in his house, hes following tunnels coming from his stomach. how i would interpret that is; hes encountering a point in time and the actions before have determined what that point in time is. he believies hes making a decision BECAUSE he cannot predict the future, hes simply encountering the next frame in time. as he cannot predict what hes going to do, he believes hes making a decision. until he realises there is ultimately two points in the past and present which will connect. that gives the impression of making a decision.

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
do we even make decisions?

my interpretation of life is that our future is determined by past events. look at it from a physics point of view if you want. if you know the distance a car skidded for, you can calculate it speed. its a variable that has decided what happens.

to apply this to life as i see it, there is past variables which decide your action. people believe in tarot cards, mystic meg and all those other *****. while yes i do believe your future is determined, i dont think we yet have a way to calculate the events so we cant predict the future, yet. we know for a car skidding, its speed can be calculated. the calculation can go backwards or forwards. i believe once we know the variables for our selves, we could then predict how the future will turn out. i believe there is also some quantum physics work going on which can predict the state of apparently totally random particles. how can you predict a random event without taking into account that a previous action has decided the event?

donnie darko is a good example as you can interpret the film how ever you want, but youve got something to demonstrate. if you remember the scene in his house, hes following tunnels coming from his stomach. how i would interpret that is; hes encountering a point in time and the actions before have determined what that point in time is. he believies hes making a decision BECAUSE he cannot predict the future, hes simply encountering the next frame in time. as he cannot predict what hes going to do, he believes hes making a decision. until he realises there is ultimately two points in the past and present which will connect. that gives the impression of making a decision.

Death and Taxes are the only certainties in life, the rest is just details

Faeldawn

Fledgling Freddie
I regret having only 1 lifetime to try everything I've always fancied - thats my only real regret - it would be great to live forever to get a chance to try it all but alas not yet possible.

There are no bad decisions and conversely its impossible to 'waste' your life - in the cosmic scheme all human endeavours are laughably pointless so just try to enjoy it and learn from whatever set of experiences you get.

The person who made decisions in your past has gone - there is only the now because tomorrow you'll be someone else...

I have a similar outlook on life, although I do not regret that i'll die. Because i know I will eventually pop my clogs, I enjoy everything all the more because i have a limited time :)

Many people spend way too much time looking back and that often dominates their present and their future. Bad experiences are essential to enable us to appreciate the good, otherwise there would simply be no point in living.

Carpe Diem :)

I'm out of platitudes now ;)

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Except almost everyone with a half a brain, and quite a few with even less than that, can and did predict exactly what was going to happen in Iraq. Your supposition is that we make every decision with no information to make plans, which obviously isn't true; all the evidence suggests sticking your hand into a operating woodchipper is a bad idea; George Bush had similar warnings about Iraq before he went in (Jesus, his own father made a speech warning against it as far back as 1992), but decided to stick his hand in the metaphorical woodchipper anyway.

Your woodchipper analogy is a bit too simplified...you can see the direct cause and effect...other decisions are not quite as simple to see!

...but doing nothing about Iraq may not have been the "correct" decision either. You can't say Iraq, America, rest of the world would have been better off cos you don't know where we would be today!

rynnor

Rockhound
Many people spend way too much time looking back and that often dominates their present and their future.

Precisely! Thats how my sister lives - constantly blaming her life on the past - its a sad waste of a life but at least it taught me an important lesson.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Your woodchipper analogy is a bit too simplified...you can see the direct cause and effect...other decisions are not quite as simple to see!

...but doing nothing about Iraq may not have been the "correct" decision either. You can't say Iraq, America, rest of the world would have been better off cos you don't know where we would be today!

Not really, it was an analogy to illustrate a point; you're correct that decisions aren't as simple to see the further you get from cause and effect, but it still doesn't mean you approach any situation with no knowledge of the potential outcome; you weigh up the probabilities based on available data and previous experience; we all do this, all the time, which is why I take issue with the idea that there are no "bad" decisions; there are decisions that are a bad idea before you even make them (my woodchipper example) and decisions that are likely to be bad. Bush had several sources to draw on; previous British experience in Iraq, previous American military experience with wars that didn't have a clear objective and end-point (Vietnam), experience, even relatively recent experience of the power vacuum in a federalised state when a "strongman" leader is removed (Yugoslavia), and good intelligence from his own people about the lack of WMD, and the need for adequate troops if the US did go in. He actively chose to ignore all of that.

Now, do we know what the world would be like if America hadn't invaded? No, but once again there's plenty of evidence to suggest that things certainly wouldn't be worse (look at the human and financial cost for a start), and almost no evidence to show that the invasion of Iraq has benefited the outside world. Whether something is a bad decision or not will always be a judgement call, but you can still use probability to suggest the likelihood of whether it was good or bad.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Now, do we know what the world would be like if America hadn't invaded? No, but once again there's plenty of evidence to suggest that things certainly wouldn't be worse (look at the human and financial cost for a start), and almost no evidence to show that the invasion of Iraq has benefited the outside world. Whether something is a bad decision or not will always be a judgement call, but you can still use probability to suggest the likelihood of whether it was good or bad.

You can't predict what Saddam would have done further down the line...and your so called evidence is purely circumstantial....you can argue till you are blue in the face about this...and still never come to a conclusion...He could well have killed more people than have died so far or he may not have. You have no idea what he could have done to the region....

Anyway, this thread wasnt supposed to be political so I'm not going to go into this anymore....You believe Bush mad the wrong decision I feel it was the right one....so be it.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
BUSH FOR PRESIDENT!

oh wait...

BUSH FOR PRIME MINISTER! :england:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom