'Turn Left' in your life

russell

FH is my second home
A recent Dr Who episode has got me thinking about the split decisions made in life that could have totally altered where I am now.

I have no regrets (mmmm ok maybe a couple) and my life is pretty good atm, but I do get itchy feet and lately I have been thinking what would have become of me had i not have drunkenly snogged my hubby as a last resort one cold New Years Eve...(bless him)

I dream of a stress free life by the sea running a little beach bar and enjoying the sunshine and surfers...

What decisions have you made that have resulted in you being where you are now? What would you change -if anything? Where could you be if you had simply said 'no' instead of 'yes'?

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
That episode did make me think.

Its like my current group of friends if I hadn't decided to go out that night cause I was feeling a bit down and ill, I would never had met them or my now ex and she and my best friend at the time would never have met each other and stabbed me in the back, but on the plus side I have experienced a fuller life and because of said situation I have made more friends and am a generally happier and confident person. Sometimes I think would have happened if I didn't go out that one night.

Its like that film 'sliding doors' but as my mate says don't dwell on the past it will upset your present and effect your future.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
+ : when working as a temp, deciding to call a secretary to ask if the temps were allowed to apply to internal job openings at bigcompany. it was in the office rag, and I was the only one who read it (due to me being bored out of my mind). She said "apply anyway, dude", I did, and here I am now.

- : dunno.

~ : if I could turn back the clock, I (sh|w)ould have smoked less dope. In my case it was more a hinder than a boon.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I regret nothing apart from starting to smoke.

A life of regret is a wasted one.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
I constantly used to split up with my girlfriend at the time (15 years ago) and always go crawling back, which made her stronger everytime, and she eventually left me for someone else which screwed me up even more at the time

I always wonder what if i had walked away from her, would i have met someone else, probably be married with kids and leading a normal more fullfilling life, rather than spending years hiding away thinkiing all relationships are doomed, and best not to go there..........

Not that i'm bitter, you understand................... :(

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
you say these things but if you actually examine the situation there is always a positive that comes from it. they shape who you are for a start.

russell

FH is my second home
you say these things but if you actually examine the situation there is always a positive that comes from it. they shape who you are for a start.
Of course you are right.... And regrets are silly.

I didn't mean the big things in life. I was thinking more about the little seemingly insignifcant stuff- thats what fascinates me.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Ok, wish i'd gone to college rather than straight out to work, i would have probably met a more varied circle of friends

Kryten

Old Cow.
Too many to list here really.

I wish I had taken up on my suspicions from my very early teens and gone about a proper education program suited to people of a more logical mind rather than just making do with thinking I was just a crybaby with an odd mind.

I wish I hadn't dropped out of hypnotherapy for my speech.

I wish I didn't just eat that large portion of choccy fudge cake :|

tris-

Of course you are right.... And regrets are silly.

I didn't mean the big things in life. I was thinking more about the little seemingly insignifcant stuff- thats what fascinates me.

how small it is, is all relevant i reckon.
one small thing that changed everything for me the manager at a place i worked didnt like me, cos i wouldnt take shit off him and his crappy team. he tried to pin something on me to get me fired.

i quit instead.
went on holiday to mexico.
met loads of people.
had no job so after it i could spend time going to see them (in england).
went to uni cos i had no job
done all the uni stuff

all because the manager of some crummy job didnt like me. otherwise i would of stayed there for god knows how long.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Regrets

• One which springs to mind was getting married but then I would not have two gorgeous kids. Just goes to show that what you might have wanted to regret doesn't always turn out to be a bad choice, my kids are the best and I would never ever imagine my life without them
  • Keeping in touch with my ex (not wife). Fucked my head up bigtime.
  • Not keeping in touch with my childhood friends as much as I should have (Hi bazza and Ricky)
  • Buying a detached house in Bromley for 150k over eight years ago
The good things

• Moving back to Aldershot to be with my very special Mum.
  • Being with my Mum and holding her hand when she passed away. Sad yes but not everyone gets that opportunity so I feel privileged especially as I was in Greece when the phonecall came through
  • Having two wonderful kids
  • Having two lifelong friends who always forgive me for when I forget things
  • Having a bloody close family whom I love and adore, mostly due to our upbringing my Dad and Mum.
Things I would change

• Not one thing in my life would I have wanted to change. Every thing that has happened to me has made me what I am.

tris-

id say losing friendships is generally the worst ive had. on the plus side its taught me how important it is to meet as many people as possible.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
a man without regrets is a lucky one wish i was one of em :)

i wish so much id gone to college straight from school instead of leaving it for 6 years. that had a knock on affect with regards to uni which i havent managed to goto, ill always regret that.

spending so much time on the computer, (bad phase during daoc) i did make alot of friends but tbh most of these are virtual and while close will never be good pesonal friends due to distances etc

other than that i dont really have many regrets ive made some bad choices we all have but id like to think they have shaped me into the person i am today.

russell

FH is my second home
I wish I hadn't opened this thread.

Ooops. Sorry -Hadn't intended it to get intense? or depressing

I was just curious as in the fact that maybe I would have directing stuff now (I was studying that after my degree in London before that NY eve snog) -or maybe I could be living in New Zealand, always liked the place... or maybe I would have been a tester for Love Honey products...

Ps for those of you who are worried I am having deep seated issues due to my other thread about Mr R -I am really not. Its all fine and dandy, I just like to day dream when my kids are whining x

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Ignore Wazz he still has some stoodent anger left :eek:

*touches Wazz on the beard*

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Only one russel, only one regret.

Met a girl, perfect, abso-f*cking-lutely perfect, but was taken at the time so even if we did hang out at the same bar and had drinks/laughs, i kept to my beliefs of "not fooling about or trying to hit on someone when taken". Even if we spoke about how both felt things would be perfect, etc, fit so well, if and if...well...

Months later the relationship ended in a brickwall and that perfect girl? Well, she wasn't around anymore, and the number she gave me got lost way back when i lost my phone.

Lesson? Not cheating is for morons :(

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Oh by the way, i don't believe in regrets so, it's kind of a biggie this one.

I regret nothing, even if bad choices, even a-hole choices, have been made and will be made, i believe that "f*ck it" basically. It's life and if it doesn't get you jailed or dead, you'll be fine.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Don't have any regrets, but I'm one of those people who can easily identify the points where big, life-changing incidents happened, sometimes by accident, but often intentionally, and if you've got any imagination at all, you do sometimes wonder how things would have turned out (I also love reading alt-history so maybe my mind just works that way).

1. My parents' decision to come back to the UK from South Africa when I was 5. I can't help wondering what the South African 'me' is like in an alternate universe.

2. The decision to go to boarding school when I was 13. It was my choice, but I never told my parents that I did it for entirely the wrong reasons. It had a knock-on effect that meant I did lots of technical subjects at school and no "arty" ones, which I'm actually pretty good at. So I sometimes wonder what would happened if I'd have stayed at my local Comp. (I'd probably have gone to Uni straight from school instead of working first, not necessarily a good thing).

3. The decision to give up my job (and my mortgage) at 23 and go to Uni. I still regard it as the best decision I ever made, so what if I hadn't gone?

4. The decision to ignore my boss (who I couldn't stand) and stay for an extra day at a conference about the internet back in 1995. He gave me a verbal warning when I got back to work because I'd disobeyed him. Two months later I'd quit and gone to work in my first internet job at CompuServe (with a big pay rise to boot) thanks to someone I met on that second day of the conference, and I've been working in the sector ever since. In fact there's a direct line from that decision through ending up at GAME to being on this forum right now (when I should be working :))

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
That one line sums up what it takes to be a real wanker. Good going.

It was a joke, i guess i should've used a :p though instead of a :(

I don't cheat, never have, never will, ever, even when just "had a coffee and things might go one way or other". Even if angelina jolie and milla jovovich proposed a threesome with a million dollar cash prize.

Then again, oddly enough, i don't mind getting cheated on if it's honest cheating...but that's a whole new topic.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
My bad then if it was meant to be a joke.

Sorry.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
My bad then if it was meant to be a joke.

Sorry.

Oh not at all, no need. Valid reaction as it could've been a lot clearer.

Was meant as a "bit sad i have these "morals" in my mind" etc, as things turned out sour :)

Live and learn, and i'm still "chasing amy" so to speak on her :D

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Plenty of regrets but I feel if you can channel those mistakes and learn from them, they're worth having. Mostly.

Many of the mistakes I've made have shaped my personality in ways that I hope have improved it.

There are some regrets that you can't do much about, like who your family is.

rynnor

Rockhound
I regret having only 1 lifetime to try everything I've always fancied - thats my only real regret - it would be great to live forever to get a chance to try it all but alas not yet possible.

There are no bad decisions and conversely its impossible to 'waste' your life - in the cosmic scheme all human endeavours are laughably pointless so just try to enjoy it and learn from whatever set of experiences you get.

The person who made decisions in your past has gone - there is only the now because tomorrow you'll be someone else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom