Games Trion - Defiance

Poag

m00?
What's the general impression so far? Does it look like it has a longer term future or does it feel like a play for 1 month then give up?

I saw very little marketing of this until about 2 weeks before launch. I heard about it before Xmas from some old colleagues who have a business connection with the UK subsidiary of Trion and, at that point, there was no mention of it on here and very little anywhere. I was having to educate them about the genre and how the finances work in it and I said that it wasn't a good sign that an established gamer community like this hadn't heard of it 4 months before release. Normally I would have expected a drip feed of info, press releases, Beta etc to drum up interest.
Its certainly a flew below the radar one for me too. I signed up to the beta based on a tweet. Played a couple of beta weekends under strict NDA.

Besides that original tweet i've not seen very much around for it. I expect it'll be heavily advertised alongside the TV show when that starts up, they maybe going for a two-for-one advertising thing....

Poag

m00?

A final video, a small arkfall and a throw away side mission.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Took part in an Arkfall last night, was quite good fun at first but then tonnes of people turned up so it scaled up, in the end I felt like a bit of a spare part because I wasn't really doing a lot of damage. Turns out I was 2nd from top, which was odd.

It really could do with having the UI tidied up a bit, trying to compare weapons on the vendors is a right pain and I also seem to have a few items in my inventory that cannot be sold and I can't find a way of destroying them, not quest stuff, some random level 48 shield and a couple of low level weapons.

I am close to EGO 200 now, enjoying it overall quite a lot! It doesn't feel like you are being forced in any particular direction, when you clearly are. The main missions are pretty decent and the voice acting isn't terrible.

Sniping is excellent too!

Poag

m00?
Indeed Arkfalls reward on total damage done, rather than enemies killed. Thus its better to only really go for the crits on mobs and crystals. Pumping out sustained dps is more important than kill whoring to try and get up the list.

Tilda

What's pvp like? Are you able to play as different class-type things? or is everybody a generic man-with-gun?
Are there any melee weapons?
I saw there was stealth, what other abilities like that are there?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't think the classes (origins) make a lot of difference really, it's more of a shooter and you can use any weapon. Weapons are modable which is the extent of the crafting as far as I can tell. There is stealth, decoy, fast run and overcharge as special abilities that you choose as perks.

It's a good game but I really don't see me playing it regularly in 6 months time.

Bit out of date I think but...

http://en.defiance-wiki.com/wiki/Defiance_(game)

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Indeed Arkfalls reward on total damage done, rather than enemies killed. Thus its better to only really go for the crits on mobs and crystals. Pumping out sustained dps is more important than kill whoring to try and get up the list.

And it's gonna be just as broken in this game as it was in Rift. That game originally had the same system but it was just getting abused and exploited by bored high levels that by default had higher sustained DPS then the people that were the right levels for them.

Aada

Part of the furniture
Gonna pass on this even though the gameplay from videos looks fun i have that feeling of save myself the cash and stay away from it.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Just watched the show.

Pretty dreadful and bears little resemblance to the game, different location, different character back story, different characters, different races.

Apart from Nolan and his bint they are totally different.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
New patch today too, they seem to have ironed out some of the issues with the UI, much simpler to compare items now.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well, the latest patch also broke the scope on my assault rifle. Still forced me to try out a few different weapons, shotgun is pretty fun!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah the show seemed to lack the archunting aspect the game(seemingly) has.

Woud've been better if it was just about the two, riding around the world, with no central politicla struggle teenage drama twilight in between.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I don't mind an underlying story (could do without the moody American kids though!) I just expected the show to link in to the game, so you could go to a particular area and do missions based on the events in the show. Ie, the build up to the big fight and then perhaps participate in it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Yeah i thought the battle was a great event for the game.

One thing though; i got more backstory out of the game trailer then the show, they didn't really explain it that well(or i missed it). For example the aliens migrating and not invading.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't mind an underlying story (could do without the moody American kids though!) I just expected the show to link in to the game, so you could go to a particular area and do missions based on the events in the show. Ie, the build up to the big fight and then perhaps participate in it.

It will link to the game (and vice versa), but not always.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Meh to the show, I would be surprised if it gets a second season.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Have to agree Raven, show is very bland. Also the game play is not varied enough to keep me interested. got to 500 ego and now cant be arsed to login.

Mkilbride

Loyal Freddie
They signed the show up for a second season already.

I expect it to just barely get a third season and then everyone will forget it ever existed.

I can't believe the guy who made Farscape made this trash of a show.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Must not be going well for them, so early after release they're already offering free weekend play + 30% off on Steam.

Mkilbride

Loyal Freddie
Yeah...it was 66% off @ Nuvem as well just a few weeks ago. Game hasn't even been out two months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom