Trials of Atlantis: the next expansion?

D

Draylor

http://daoc.catacombs.com/forum_news.cfm?ThreadKey=2&DefMessage=380071

Press release from Mythic announcing their next expansion. Not on Mythic's own site yet, but Im assuming its not some silly hoax.

Interesting, but nothing unexpected. More high level content, a new race per realm, but no new realms/classes. Mentions no RvR related changes, but thats not surprising since theres a "free expansion" (ie patch with press release/hype) coming soon for that.

Itll be November/December before the US servers see this, sometime in early 2004 at best before it'd be near European servers, far to far in the future to know how many of us will still be playing DAoC by then.

A

Aravis

Master Levels, a new advancement system that teaches your character new abilities, spells, combat styles, and much more

Great, more high levels to kick my arse ;)

A

Athralmall

Master Levels, a new advancement system that teaches your character new abilities, spells, combat styles, and much more

The bit about high-level content, and the new system above sounds cool, along with the new setting. My only concern is given Mythics reputation they won't fix the bugs existing now, and instead release an expansion full of bugs and stuff that don't work properly (even though I really do hope they sort this stuff, and make the new RvR stuff coming worthwhile)

Of course, given it's potential to add lots to the existing DAoC universe, I'll be looking out for stuff on it at E3 next week. Even if it will be almost a year before EU servers see it :(

O

old.LandShark

Cut n paste of my response on other thread:

Two words: oh dear.
Give RvR content please.... ;|

Oh, and I have to chortle at yet another anachronistic myth stirred in :D
Next stop, Dark Age of Camelot: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!

OK, call me paranoid, suspicious, or dance around me calling me Negative Nancy, but that sounds like either - stuff that will be just another exp-to-50-style grind which will end up benefitting powergamers over casual players, OR stuff that will inevitably not get balanced right for another 5 patches after the expansion.

edit: or it will be fluff and barely worth doing, although personally I'm all in favour of fluff :great:

K

klavrynd

more pve content, more level grind and more fluff

my idea : sack everyone, and use the money to get some decent devs that'll try to fix the classes and game mechanicq

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by old.Gombur Glodson
Give WoW imo :(

What for iyo?

Originally posted by klavrynd
more pve content, more level grind and more fluff

my idea : sack everyone, and use the money to get some decent devs that'll try to fix the classes and game mechanicq

By nerfing savages next!
/cackle

Nah, seriously I agree totally in principle. My own class is fine or more than fine atm so fluff = good in my eyes, but for those suffers from balance issues, yeah..... down with teh fluff machine

C

Cala-more

how can the site have a faq when only released today....??????????????????????????

A

Arnor

though it sounds cool, q4 is still q-fucking-4. Even WoW is nearing release then...

S

solothores

Also in here some pics out of the Gamebryo graphics engine demo:

eturnum3.jpg

eturnum4.jpg

eturnum5.jpg

eturnum6.jpg

eturnum7.jpg

eturnum8.jpg

O

old.LandShark

I can feel my framerate dying already ;)

S

SilverHood

more grind

unless they made Atlantis open to all realms at the same time, leading to a new battlefield...

K

krait

The lengths Mythic will go to ,to get us to buy Mastery of Water.....
;)

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by SilverHood
more grind

unless they made Atlantis open to all realms at the same time, leading to a new battlefield...

my thoughts exactly, said that on the other thread. Drawback is that this would probably suck on low-population servers.

O

old.LandShark

Taken from Mythic Press Release

Trials of Atlantis will introduce the ability for players to swim, discover and explore the submerged civilization. The expansion reveals that the citizens of Atlantis, foreseeing the demise of their society, built a series of Trials into the ruins of their civilization. The Trials were designed to challenge future cultures that discover and seek to explore the ancient lands. In Trials of Atlantis, the three Realms have each found a hidden portal to the fabled continent. Now it’s up to the populations of Hibernia, Midgard and Albion to take on the nine Trials and uncover the mysterious powers amongst the ruins. To suceed, players must master the perilous ocean and confront terrifying monsters, both on land and undersea.

Trials of Atlantis is designed to further challenge high-level players by introducing a Master Level advancement system. As a player moves sequentially through each of the nine Trials, they will achieve a corresponding Master Level. Emphasising group play, the Trials will have to be surmounted by groups of players journeying through the portal together. Players will be able to travel by boat, explore islands with ruins, swim to submerged dungeons and battle new creatures in underwater caves. Additionally, the expansion will add one new player race per Realm, dozens of new monsters to encounter, as well as new objects and treasures to uncover.

Press Release in full

T

Tobold

a new zone to fight over, with merchants dungeons etc, would rock :p

S

Sharma

I WANT THAT EXPANSION GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFV!!!

those mobs look fooking UBER!

F

Feac_

they working on Both expansions at same time Alantis and the RvR expansion here is thingy from US herald

Next Camelot Retail Expansion Announced
from Matt Firor
2003-05-05 14:13:36

We're proud to announce our next retail expansion called Dark Age of Camelot: Trials of Atlantis, where your Camelot character can explore the fabled underwater lost civilization.

We have launched a website dedicated to TOA at www.trialsofatlantis.com, where you'll be able to track the expansion as it goes through development. We're not going to release screenshots or detailed information about the expansion at this time, but we will be demonstrating it at E3 next week. Stay tuned to the TOA website, as we'll release concept art, screenshots, and other detailed information on a regular basis.

Please note that we will be working on TOA and the upcoming RvR expansion at the same time - we'll release more details on the RvR expansion in a month or so.

Return to the Camelot Herald

S

Sharma

ok its states a new race per realm - ok good

new classes - ? you think they will add any new classes?

S

Shike

hmm, those screenies from what the engine is capable of have the same quality as the screenies I have seen from EQ2, which at least I was very impressed with, question is if Mythic will utilize it fully... if they do, WHOOA....

:)

/cries over the fact that he have to upgrade the PCs.... again

R

Roo Stercogburn

Originally posted by old.LandShark
Oh, and I have to chortle at yet another anachronistic myth stirred in :D
Next stop, Dark Age of Camelot: Buck Rogers in the 25th Century!

Have to agree with this. Seems to be the Hercules and Xena approach to Mythology.

Having said that, it sounds promising :)

B

B3rt4old

Well TBH from what i read it sounds like its gonna rock.. cant w8 to see some footage of it

S

Sarnat

Wow I was expecting a whole thread of whine but only saw one whine/whatever... Amazing, are people becoming mature or what? Someone fix it? Arnor? Whine a bit plz!

N

Ninth Dimension

i like the idea of this, anything to give the game more depth.

M

M® Zîllâ

Omg cant w8 things r looking good 4 Daoc :)
but agree with what has been said by some peeps i hope they fix exsiting bugs before they give us brand new 1s

Users who are viewing this thread