Train stuff

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Think that was 110 for the stay over night and 10 days parking which is a lot less

I addressed that in the post by calling it a parkingsubsidyhotel.

Without staying at the hotel it costs you a tenner a day to take your car, if you stay at the hotel it costs you a tenner a day to take your car (plus you have to go a night earlier rather than just drive down and get on the plane).

So. £10/day to take your car. Capiche?

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Just you. Because you live in terroristland.

Also, because your maths is horribly accurate - ~£10/day parking = £100 for ten days, right?

I see that @Bodhi says you're incorrect when he pays £110 for ten days when he stops at the hotel. Which is basically parkingsubsidyhotel. Whichever way you look at it Bodhs - it's normally about tenner a day to take your car.

But yep, I prefer a two hour journey back to Nottingham up the M1 myself rather than a lug-your-shit into London, then across London, then up to Nottingham, then across Nottingham nightmare to get home ;)

He pays more as Heathrow runs pay bus service to the airport from the hotels. Think its 10 but only ever did it once to the Sheraton on Bath Road. Shit area though not exactly great night life around there.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Think that was 110 for the stay over night and 10 days parking which is a lot less

Usually a night in a hotel nr Heathrow will cost you a ton. So if your staying cause you got an early flight might as well do it that way

I think that is the point, you either pay 10 per day or get a hotel for the night and get 10 days free. Either way its still expensive and if you live withing 50 miles probably cheaper using a car service :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I usually park my car at Manchester Airport when I fly from there. It normally costs about £45 for 4-5 days, which is the same as a taxi there and back, but I hate taxis and their drivers so I'd rather have the car. But there's no way I'm sitting on two aircraft for 23 hours and then getting back to London, only to sit on another sweaty aircraft for another hour or so. I'd rather have a breath of air, walk around London for a bit and get a train back. I suppose I could take the car down, but the travel will be hard enough anyway, without having to worry about falling asleep at the wheel.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I usually park my car at Manchester Airport when I fly from there. It normally costs about £45 for 4-5 days, which is the same as a taxi there and back, but I hate taxis and their drivers so I'd rather have the car. But there's no way I'm sitting on two aircraft for 23 hours and then getting back to London, only to sit on another sweaty aircraft for another hour or so. I'd rather have a breath of air, walk around London for a bit and get a train back. I suppose I could take the car down, but the travel will be hard enough anyway, without having to worry about falling asleep at the wheel.

I've tried both Train and Car, and tbh, it's much easier to stay awake whilst driving as it is on the train, just because you have something to do. First trip to California I took the train, and ended up in Crewe after missing Stafford station, which was just what I needed after 24 hours traveling - whereas the last time, when American Airlines cancelled our flight from LAX to Heathrow, and we took 2 days to get back via JFK, I managed to stay awake quite easily using energy drinks and the natural speed of progress on the M40/Toll Road.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I think that is the point, you either pay 10 per day or get a hotel for the night and get 10 days free. Either way its still expensive and if you live withing 50 miles probably cheaper using a car service :)
I always get a taxi. To the airport. It's like 120 quid return. Drop off pick up and no waiting for busses. But I was talking about Tom coming from manc land where I would come down the day before anyway just to be safe on the travel delays.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I got a guy who has his own Lexus that lives round the corner kinda executive car service. Not your standard taxi that's been pulled in the night before. He is a moans git always complaining about something but he is very reliable

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I managed to stay awake quite easily using energy drinks and the natural speed of progress on the M40/Toll Road.

I'd rather not take the chance. I don't ever want to wake up to the realisation that I've killed someone because I drove while I was tired. I've just turned down a job at Brands Hatch, this weekend, for that very reason.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
tbh I love trains, 'specially the long distance 1st class runs I do for workies. only about a thousand squillion times more relaxing than cars and planes, and you can do whatever while en-route to your destination.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
tbh I love trains, 'specially the long distance 1st class runs I do for workies. only about a thousand squillion times more relaxing than cars and planes, and you can do whatever while en-route to your destination.
You want to try english trains. Most are not a patch on the trains I been on in Europe

TdC

most of my long distance experience is in ICE and Thalys 1st class, although I have done AMS-Berlin and AMS-Copenhagen 2nd class on non-high speed int'l trains which was perfectly doable, not crowded at all and no idiots.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I been on commuter trains in Belgium and long distance trains in France and Spain. The standard and comfort are so much better than the UK rolling stock.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
most of my long distance experience is in ICE and Thalys 1st class, although I have done AMS-Berlin and AMS-Copenhagen 2nd class on non-high speed int'l trains which was perfectly doable, not crowded at all and no idiots.

Yes but if you try the same in the UK you will arrive at your destination 3 hours late with Ebola. There's a reason we drive everywhere in the UK, as outside of London, public transport sucks balls.

TdC

yeah, I've been on some UK trains. The Edinburgh to London overnight is ok I guess.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Inter city trains are just about passable. But any of the local trains are usually rammed and standing room only with all the muppets of life on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom