Train stuff

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Does anyone here know about booking trains? I'm flying from Heathrow in a month or so, I can't be arsed driving (or flying) so I thought about getting the train.

I know that Virgin run from Manchester to Euston, so I thought I'd get a return ticket for one of those, and just jump on the tube to Heathrow. I have the times for my flight but there are a few things I'm not clear about. Do you get a seat (fuck getting up for a piss and finding someone else in my seat, I'm not having that shit). Is first class worth it? And what happens if I miss the train on my ticket, can I get the next one, so long as it isn't during peak hours?

Also, is train coffee still rank dusty piss, or is it better these days?

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
you can book a seat , might still be some gypo sat in it if you dont get on at the start. but stab them in the face and they move. your ticket will have a seat number on it.
never gone first class :(

and usually your seat/ticket will be the "10.15am carlisle to waterloo" if you miss it, youre fucked. think you can get a more wider bracket but no seat

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I got a (National Express) coach from Stansted up to Coventry a couple of years ago. It was cheap as chips (next to a train fare) and dead easy.

Syri

FH is my second home
I've not used Virgin trains, but I'm guessing they'll have kept it pretty similar to East Midlands.
seats are normally reserved, and on East Midlands at least, you can even give a preference for a window or aisle seat, and a table. If it's going at peak times, there'll likely be a lot of people standing, but if it's not calling at any stations before yours, you should be fine getting a seat. If you miss the train, it depends what type of ticket you have. If it's an advance off-peak, they are usually only for a specific train, or sometimes only for specific hours in the day. You can usually pay to upgrade when the ticket inspectors come around, if there's a need to.
As for first class, it's alright, if it's not much to upgrade, but not worth more than a fiver extra. All you get is a slightly more comfy seat (in theory, some of the East Midlands ones are actually worse for me, because of having really firm headrests around my shoulder height), and you get tea/coffee for free. I think some trains do breakfasts in first class if you're travelling early morning, but I'm not sure which, and if they charge any extra.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Does anyone here know about booking trains? I'm flying from Heathrow in a month or so, I can't be arsed driving (or flying) so I thought about getting the train.

I know that Virgin run from Manchester to Euston, so I thought I'd get a return ticket for one of those, and just jump on the tube to Heathrow. I have the times for my flight but there are a few things I'm not clear about. Do you get a seat (fuck getting up for a piss and finding someone else in my seat, I'm not having that shit). Is first class worth it? And what happens if I miss the train on my ticket, can I get the next one, so long as it isn't during peak hours?

Aye, what @caLLous said, if it's not a stupidly early flight (And you don't want to stay over) consider adding an extra hour onto your journey and going by coach, National Expresses really aren't that bad.

Can't speak for the other coach firms though.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not quicker to get a car from Manchester to London over the train. The rest of what you said is pretty much right tho

True - but Manchester > Heathrow is probably faster and certainly more convenient in that you get to your destination without changing....

Bit knackered from the drive tho...

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Don't book Heathrow flights if you don't live in London..it may be cheaper but the hassle isn't worth it...Heathrow is hell on Earth...Manchester airport is like fishing from a small boat in a flat calm lake in the summertime by comparison.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
No, he's right, you shouldn't get planes from massive airports, you don't need to go to the other major aiports around the world, so if Manchester Airport doesn't go to where you wanna, better get swimming kiddo.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

I think the point he was making was that if it flies from Manc then get a plane from Manc.

He's right - Manchester is a much easier airport to navigate than Heathrow and a lot less hassle. Sometimes Heathrow's 80 quid cheaper but if you live in the north...

...but then Tom's no fool, so...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I would give him the benefit of the doubt but it's Job. The point he actually made was "don't book Heathrow flights if you don't live in London", as if it just exists to serve the capital. If you're just popping to Italy for a weekend or something by all means goto Manchester but Job has typically waded in with no knowledge of what airline Tom is using or where is going.

And like you say, Tom isn't a muppet (Soccer Saturday appearances notwithstanding :) ) - he's not asking for advice on which airport to fly from, he's asking how to get to Heathrow.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Manchester Airport won't get me to Cordoba in Argentina. It has to be Heathrow. And I like using the train, it's just that I've never had to book it myself - someone else always does that stuff.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
I am sure you have traveled before @Tom but remember, it is better to spend an hour extra at Heathrow then watch your flight take of while you are running down the terminal…
Also, trains are never on time when you need it the most.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If I was relying on public transport to get me to a flight from that distance I would get a hotel at Heathrow and travel the day before

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I am sure you have traveled before @Tom but remember, it is better to spend an hour extra at Heathrow then watch your flight take of while you are running down the terminal…
Also, trains are never on time when you need it the most.

Yeah this will be about my 30th flight this year...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Manchester Airport won't get me to Cordoba in Argentina. It has to be Heathrow. And I like using the train, it's just that I've never had to book it myself - someone else always does that stuff.

Yep. Thetrainline.com.

Click on the "best fare finder" in the small writing at the bottom. Chances are you'll save a bit...

Madmaxx

FH is my second home

As mentioned earlier in this thread Thetrainline.com is good, I've used it previously and the main thing I find is booking in advance can save you 40-50% a majority of the time.

When I've gone from Essex to Newcastle you can set up "preferences" for the seat you want on the 'main journey' where your on a non-stop train south/north etc for things like, window, table, next to a plug socket and such; which you will be given a seat number. But for the smaller parts of the journey like to, in and around london on the overground/tube you can't book a seat.

I must admit the most recent time I bought a train ticket on thetrainline.com it was £2 extra for a first class ticket, the main thing I usually choose is a "table" seat for leg room, window so I don't have to get up for other people and a socket for my phone/tablet; however I usually book in advance so I've got more chance of getting what I want :p

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Trainline

As for the trains, most are crap, full of the dregs of society and you're probably best of hiring a car, cheaper and quicker.

Be careful a lot of the hire car companies charge for drop off at different location - cost of getting the car back. Don't drive to LHR the parking costs are 10 GBP a day plus. Train or coach is cheap although I tend to use these guys:

http://www.british-airport-transfers.co.uk/

Also less hassle with lugging your baggage around.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Meh, I'm not paying for any of this, it costs whatever it costs (although I'm obviously keeping the costs reasonable).

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Standard taxi is more expensive than a chauffeur service in my experience

Chilly

Balls of steel
There might well be a direct coach to Heathrow that's comparable on speed and probably way way cheaper. Something to look into.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Be careful a lot of the hire car companies charge for drop off at different location - cost of getting the car back. Don't drive to LHR the parking costs are 10 GBP a day plus. Train or coach is cheap although I tend to use these guys:

http://www.british-airport-transfers.co.uk/

Also less hassle with lugging your baggage around.

You are incorrect, I fly from Heathrow 3-4 times a year to the States, and every time I drive down and park. Fairly easy to get to, and if you go to Holiday Extras and look at the Hotel and Parking deals, then go for a Mystery 5 Star hotel you can usually get something decent. Last time I got a night in the Radisson Blu Edwardian and 10 days parking for about £110. I'm just under 2 hours from Heathrow using the Toll Road, and it's the quickest way back when you are jet lagged to buggery.

Don't eat at the Radisson though, the food is terrible and expensive. The McD's next door actually tastes better.....

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
Have used train from Manchester to Euston a couple of times with work. Not booked tickets personally but have had reserved seating. Also unless first class is only a small amount more then I wouldn't bother, the normal carriages are comfortable enough.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
You are incorrect, I fly from Heathrow 3-4 times a year to the States, and every time I drive down and park. Fairly easy to get to, and if you go to Holiday Extras and look at the Hotel and Parking deals, then go for a Mystery 5 Star hotel you can usually get something decent. Last time I got a night in the Radisson Blu Edwardian and 10 days parking for about £110. I'm just under 2 hours from Heathrow using the Toll Road, and it's the quickest way back when you are jet lagged to buggery.

Don't eat at the Radisson though, the food is terrible and expensive. The McD's next door actually tastes better.....

£110 for 10 days parking, I wrote 10 per day so not far off. So you get a hotel room for a night thrown in. Heathrow is not my ideal hotel destination but if it suites you fine :). I knew about the hotel deals I used to work at Heathrow but I don't stay far enough away to warrant paying 110, I can a chauffeur for 40 each way (Oxford).

Plus you have to pay for the Hotel bus right another 10 GBP each way?

Last edited:

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
oooh new mod approval needed on posts, is this just for me or everyone?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
oooh new mod approval needed on posts, is this just for me or everyone?

Just you. Because you live in terroristland.

Also, because your maths is horribly accurate - ~£10/day parking = £100 for ten days, right?

I see that @Bodhi says you're incorrect when he pays £110 for ten days when he stops at the hotel. Which is basically parkingsubsidyhotel. Whichever way you look at it Bodhs - it's normally about tenner a day to take your car.

But yep, I prefer a two hour journey back to Nottingham up the M1 myself rather than a lug-your-shit into London, then across London, then up to Nottingham, then across Nottingham nightmare to get home ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Just you. Because you live in terroristland.

Also, because your maths is horribly accurate - ~£10/day parking = £100 for ten days, right?

I see that @Bodhi says you're incorrect when he pays £110 for ten days when he stops at the hotel. Which is basically parkingsubsidyhotel. Whichever way you look at it Bodhs - it's normally about tenner a day to take your car.

But yep, I prefer a two hour journey back to Nottingham up the M1 myself rather than a lug-your-shit into London, then across London, then up to Nottingham, then across Nottingham nightmare to get home ;)
Think that was 110 for the stay over night and 10 days parking which is a lot less

Usually a night in a hotel nr Heathrow will cost you a ton. So if your staying cause you got an early flight might as well do it that way

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom