Top5 guitar players

rayzor

Fledgling Freddie
in no order:

Richie Sambora (u see him live from 20m away and you know he's great)
Slash
Hendrix
Mark Knopfler
Gary Moore

Ati

One of Freddy's beloved
Malmsteen
Vai
Satriani
Knoffler
Prince

In no order, but prince because he is the best musician i know

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
Not nessicarily the best but my favourites are probaly:
Joe Satriani- Just generally awesome, most of his tunes either make me wanna chill or rock out :p
Rusty Cooley- Only seen a few internet video of him, but an amazingly fast shredder, I'm not normally impressed be shredding as it often sounds like a mess to me, but all the same was impressive.
Jerry C- The taiwanese virtuoso kid, did the Canon rock, took one of my favourite classical style pieces of music then played the guitar to it :)
Tony Iomi- Technically not that impressive, but sounds so good all the same, saw them at Donnington last year :)

Last place is tied between Kirk Hammet, steve vai and Paul Gibert, think I'll give it to Gilbert for playing the guitar with a power drill

Zede

Part of the furniture
what the hells all the facination with Yngwie Spunkstain ?

Page, Townsend, Gilmour, Hendrix have more talent in the dirt under there finger nails that poodle haired chump !

Konah

Fledgling Freddie
Zede said:
Page, Townsend, Gilmour, Hendrix have more talent in the dope under thier finger nails that poodle haired chump !

amen!

OohhoO

Fledgling Freddie
1) Joe Satriani
2) Bill Frisell
3) Egberto Gismonti (not bad considering it's not even his main instrument :p)
4) Steve Vai
No-one else really does it for me any more.

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
I can't believe no ones got Brian May in the top 5, sorry but he owns most of the people mentioned here for pure talent.

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb - nuff said.
Slash - both technical and passionate
Mark Knopfler - really impressive style, love his music
Brian May - again has developed is own style that rocks :D

All the others are good, but they don't capture the emotions or express the music as beautifully as these guys.

Litmus

Resident Freddy
cant belive page has only been mentioned about 3 times Oo

Cemeterygates

Can't get enough of FH
forgot to mention chuck schuldiner. IMO he would own most people i fhe wasnt dead.
an people givin it the hendrix bollocks i mean ye he was good...for his time...but by todays standards he is an amature....no question

UrganNagru

Fledgling Freddie
Aye but is's the fact that he did something different and made that progress that people like him. Plus some people also probaly just like his style, of the top of my heard I can't think of anyone currently who plays tunes like voodoo child or all along the watch tower, not off the top of my head anyway.

Zede

Part of the furniture
Cemeterygates said:
forgot to mention chuck schuldiner. IMO he would own most people i fhe wasnt dead.
an people givin it the hendrix bollocks i mean ye he was good...for his time...but by todays standards he is an amature....no question

I am no great hendrix fan - but never has there been a person alive who lived and breathed more for the guitar.

many people get techical ability mixed up with actual, born talent. page, hendrix, gilmour and other great guitaring icons will constantly and consistantly out shine ALL of the poodle haired technical players.

I have albums by gimpmasters such vai,satriani, etc.. and have been forced listen to spunkstain.....id rather have 1 cd of hendrix greatest hits than the entire collection of the anyone who needs to use hairspray to play the guitar....

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Naetha said:
David Gilmour - Comfortably Numb - nuff said.
Slash - both technical and passionate
Mark Knopfler - really impressive style, love his music
Brian May - again has developed is own style that rocks :D

All the others are good, but they don't capture the emotions or express the music as beautifully as these guys.

QFT and add Hendrix to the mix just for sheer 'way out there-ness' and Eric Clapton for mastering the art of how to make the guitar sing.

Malcolm Jones from Scottish folk rock band Runrig is pretty nifty too.

St.Anger

One of Freddy's beloved
John Petrucci of course
Michael Schenker
Rhandy Roads
Richie Blackmoore
Al DiMeola

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
agree with st.anger too, not in my top5 but Michael Schenker is one to be considered to be in the top10 as well as Mr. Blackmoore

[NO]Subedai

Fledgling Freddie
best guitar players are prolly hendrik, jimmy page and then the duo guitarists outta In Flames :D
oh and Slash

St.Anger

One of Freddy's beloved
Didn't have much time this morning when i posted my top-5. But here's my thought: being a technically good guitar player is 1 thing, (good is not the same than many many notes in 1 second imo) but there's other things you have to take in account: originallity of sound, style, composition and the ammount a guitar player is adding something to the popular music scene. Therefor, I rate eg. Brian May a lot higher than eg. Slash as Brian is much more original, innovating than Slash, who technically is a good player, but nothing special about what he does. Of course, in the end it's all a matter of taste, and that's good :drink:
Also, i play guitar myself and when i hear things that i could prolly succeed in playing, i rate that guitar hero as : mediocre :kissit:

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Cemeterygates said:
hahaha pls mate, how many ppl learnt how to play guitar upside down cos they didnt make left handed guitars back then, and yet still sound as awesome as he did?

Oldleaf

Fledgling Freddie
leviathane said:
hahaha pls mate, how many ppl learnt how to play guitar upside down cos they didnt make left handed guitars back then, and yet still sound as awesome as he did?

And the strings were upside down to.

Outlander

Part of the furniture
very hard, this lineup I would enjoy :)

Gilmour
Townsend
Clapton
Hendrix
Slash

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
I'd have to say:

Slash - awesome solos and bluesy feel to his rock
Zappa - original and fun to listen to
Dave Mustaine - great songwriter and riff composer
Jimmy Page - ground breaker
Adrian Smith - earning Maiden a good rep since the start :p

Thorondorito

One of Freddy's beloved
Also Ted Nugent is a great player, not only how he plays but his shows are just wonderful :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom