Too Good to be True...

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
So I have just built my new PC, and so far the build seems OK, insofar as I seem not to have fried any componenets.

The WinXP install seemed to go OK as well, but now I can't get the PC to boot.

This would appear to be the old 'not booting from SATA drives' problem, which I was hoping to avoid with a bang up to date mobo, but there you go.

The PC starts up but stalls trying to boot from CD (having already decided floppy and HDD are not options I guess)

I played abot a bit and now my SATA drives show up as being on IDE channels 2 and 3 respectively, (even though they are definately plugged into SATA sockets :)) and teh PC tells me that there is a problem with the boot device and it can't use it.

In the bios I can't select SCSI as a boot drive, it does not give me an option.

I do not have floppy drive in the PC, nor do I have a spare, but I am willing to go out and get one if it the only way to get the thing working.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Did you have any IDE drives in when installing? I got a similar problem when reinstalling a PC that had both SATA and IDE drives. It installed most things on the SATA, but for some reason it put ntloader and... something else on the IDE. I had to remove the IDE and reinstall all together.

If thats not the case for then hmm... Got a copy of Partition Magic? Could boot with that and check that the partition is in fact active. If it aint, well then it wont even try to boot from it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
what is the boot-device order in your BIOS?

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
Well it's fixed, by my normal method of doing random stuff till it does.

Thanks for the answers, I think I got away pretty lightly, I searched the web and some people were stuck for a week with this or very similar problems.

In the end it was to do with turning every reference to RAID in the BIOS off and reformatting my drive and reinstalling XP.

It's all going smoothly now, but there's a way to go yet, including my first ever wireless network, so I'll likely be back :)

Thanks again

RB

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
Rubber Bullets said:
Well it's fixed, by my normal method of doing random stuff till it does.

Thanks for the answers, I think I got away pretty lightly, I searched the web and some people were stuck for a week with this or very similar problems.

In the end it was to do with turning every reference to RAID in the BIOS off and reformatting my drive and reinstalling XP.

It's all going smoothly now, but there's a way to go yet, including my first ever wireless network, so I'll likely be back :)

Thanks again

RB

I had the same problem...I solved it by turning the pc on and off so many times it gave up and booted...its been fine since.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom