ToA free server

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
Instant said:
Well asking for a ToA free server, however little likely it is, is a constructive suggestion not a whine.
More valuable addition to the forum than your last post imo.
Asking for a ToA free server is whining becasue you imply that it sucks. Have you ever tried toa? no - Have you ever read whines on vn? yep

Anyway, im glad to see that europeans generally whine alot less then the US people do. People seem to accept changes alot easier here. :cheers:

Squalion

Fledgling Freddie
i have server files, on how to make ur own DAOC Server, SI enabled, and TOA enabled, already reported them to RN on daoc webby, but ill keep files incase i get bored some day and wanna do stuff ;)

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
I would probably play on TOA free pvp server or on a TOA and Buffbot free normal server.

Twisted

Fledgling Freddie
I am just worried that when ToA comes out ... ill have to buy myself a new V card and Power supply for PC .... making it a rather expensive upgrade

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
A couple of posts have stated that 'its only those who whine on the VN noticeboards who have rubbished ToA'. Well it certainly has been rubbished there - not by all but by most more than any other game / expansion I have read about.

Problem is, however, it isn't just the VN boards.

Lots of reviews and other boards all have the same basic message. do a search: 'Trials of Atlantis' review.

There are lots of them. Ignoring the scores - and IGNs is the lowest ever given - most reviewer agree that ToA graphically is wonderful. Lots of detail etc. All of them comment on the large number of new boss mobs and the more informed on what that means. The trials are hard and they need large groups (veritable armies later). Each trial is an epic or akin to a full blown raid on the realms uber SI dungeon. On top of which you have to camp - big time.

What has upset a lot of board posters is that this is not the DAoC they bought. That casual players are well and truly ganked. If you did not do trial X level M when the rest of your server did it tough. If you choose an obscure path - tough. If you do not play 24/7, are on a small population server - and a lot of European populations are well below US numbers - tough. Oh yes, once you have got artifact Y you then have to level it up - which is not fast either. If you have multiple 50s of course you get to do it all again. Then there is Mythics own response but first:

If you just buy ToA for the graphic upgrade so be it. But, you may ask, I don't have to do MLs - after all Mythic said that ToA would have no impact on RvR. LoL. Some groups will do the trials - power players. Thos ethta get them now own RvR. The MLs are that powerful.

Sub 1s casting, bodyguard - look the list of abilities up. Read the posts if you want. In another post I suggested that guilds/alliances/realms get organised before ToA is released and try and do them all together. If everyone has some MLs maybe there is hope. On those servers that are starting to see small groups of ML enabled groups own RvR. (Poor Midgard TL is being teased something chronic for his working as intended comment after a group of (power) Hibs concentrated 100% on MLs, got them and now own the Middies (who ruled) out of RvR (and Albs).

As for Mythics response - not, I think you would agree, known for taking whines seriously. Their two teams have been merged to concentrate on fixing ToA and on RvR. The next expansion is on hold. This only 2 months after ToAs release which has now been discounted via a mail in rebate of $10. (So $29.99 - $10 = $19.99, about 10 pounds UK). Less then 3 months after its release? Maybe everyone has now bought it - alternatively word of mouth has gone beyond the 1.9% VN members who are whining.

Decide. Plan. Act together if you decide to get ToA is my advice. Remember graphically its very pretty. Most posters a a wee bit upset about it having turned DAoC into PvP camping. And do read the VN boards Crafters of Atlantis thread on VN; its hilarious.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
i would join a toa free server.
I dont have time to put into the game that toa would require, as a result i will be gimped in rvr. And most probably leave. But i think it will take a few months before the ml's are unleashed so ill prolly hang around till then.

remi

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
They should have this disclaimer for vn boards:
BY READING THESE BOARDS YOUR HEAD WILL BE FUCKED OVER BY ALL THE WHINES. THE PEOPLE WHINING ARE ABOUT 1,7% OF THE DAOC PLAYERBASE, BUT THEY POST FOR 99,9%! PLEASE DO NOT FUCKING BELIVE ONE WORD THAT IS WRITTEN HERE. IF YOU DO YOU ARE STUPID.

looool, that one goes for FH/BW too :D

trull

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
ToA will be great, dont listen to the whines, all the people that I know that has played ToA loves it.

Alot of ppl I talked to actually think TOA sux. So much boring pve :(

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
CRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
MEEEEEEEEEEEE
A
RIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

Frols

Fledgling Freddie
Whats so wrong with ToA? I love it but maby thats cause im a PVE whore if you like rvr you get your rvr patch later let us have our ToA! :touch:

snoz

Loyal Freddie
Korax said:
BY READING THESE BOARDS YOUR HEAD WILL BE FUCKED OVER BY ALL THE WHINES. THE PEOPLE WHINING ARE ABOUT 1,7% OF THE DAOC PLAYERBASE, BUT THEY POST FOR 99,9%! PLEASE DO NOT FUCKING BELIVE ONE WORD THAT IS WRITTEN HERE. IF YOU DO YOU ARE STUPID.

and voila!

ToA will be great, dont listen to the whines, all the people that I know that has played ToA loves it.
Yep i fullly agree, well i dunno about toa being great for rvr ... but lets wait and see. Dont believe the hype.

rivan

Fledgling Freddie
MesS° said:
I estimate 0 will actually cancel because of TOA alone... :m00:

I did. I hate PvE, I hated the idea of being forced to PvE all over again to get these ToA MLs (and the caster ones particularly sucked ass), or be further ostracised by the widening gap in rvr elitism or fotmism. I hated the idea that an already unballanced game was having buggy, undertested, hugely powerful abilities and items added to it, while we still experience simple problems like the interrupt code and determination.

If you look at a lot of the ToA bonuses, like 10% casting speed bonuses etc, all it does is widen the gap between those with ToA and those without. If Caster A and Caster B both have +10% Casting speed, its exactly the same as the current RvR, just a bit faster, the imballance comes in when the second Caster doesn't have ToA- its exactly the same when you conside that Tank A does 10% more melee damage, but Healer A heals 10% more hitpoints. ToA is designed to create another subset of mutually exclusive clones that cancel each other out, even down to the MLs (Caster A makes a storm, Caster B moves the storm.. etc). It changes a lot, but also changes very little- the major impact is when you compare it to those without all the new equipment and abilities. All the bugs and problems people have been complaining about, seemingly in vain, are still there, just brushed under this carpet that is ToA.

So yeah, its why I left :)

I sincerely hope you all enjoy it though, and it brings the ballance that was lacking to RvR, and irons out the bugs that have plagued us for so long.

Aeis

Loyal Freddie
rivan said:
I sincerely hope you all enjoy it though, and it brings the ballance that was lacking to RvR, and irons out the bugs that have plagued us for so long.

I myself hope everyone hate it and cancel :p . That way Mythic get what they deserve.
Mythic are too much for fast money. But hopefully in the long run they will loose more than they made on buffbots and their money making expansions.

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
trull said:
Alot of ppl I talked to actually think TOA sux. So much boring pve :(
I have toa now and im loving it. Seems ALL the whines from vn was a crock of shit.

Lokir

Fledgling Freddie
ToA un general = sux coz of pve
--About toa--
1, the better gfx = ok
2, the custom skin thingy = i love it
3, ML and Artifacts = pve still sux and toa force u to do it to compete in rvr.
--------------------------------------------------------
I will wait and see but if u have to do to much pve to compete in rvr I will probably quit. I have more fun at work than i have online doing PvE, the diffrent is i earn money at work and pay for daoc.

Iwould like ToA without the new zones or atlest without the "fluff" (uber items and ml).I know they want to sell toa and better items is one way to do it but you can still dream about it =).

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:
I have toa now and im loving it. Seems ALL the whines from vn was a crock of shit.

You are doing the VN (and other) boards a disservice Korax. There is far more than whines posted. I do however agree that some are whines, totally 100% agree.

However many, many of the 142,000+ posts on VN alone since early November by hundreds of people have reported bugs by the busload.
Whole groups - sometimes reluctantly - have redone various ML encounters with CSRs in attendance so that Mythic could find out what was going on. (In one case Mythic actually gave a group credit after their third marathon encounter - something Mythic have never previously done). Mythic's QA messed up big time.
This was not a quality release; no way was this the 'expected/accepted few bugs'.

Without the posts the launch of ToA would have been an utter disaster in Europe. You only have to look at how many times the US servers have been taken down since ToA was launched - and that Mythic halted its next expansion and put both the teams it has onto bug fixing to appreciate the extent of the 'mess' with some days seeing more than one patch!

To lump everybody into the category of 'whiners' is way off target - and a goodly number are Europeans who play on European servers as well.

1.68 in Europe soon hopefully, huge atch. Hope you carry on enjoying ToA. However i have just read a post by someone who left our guild and moved to US servers. Originally he posted on our (his old) guild forum that ToA was OK, pretty graphics, doable etc. Having done ML4 on one of his characters he has given up. In his words:

"not as bad as some people make out, but neither is it as good as some of the boys on Freddyshouse seem to think"

Falcon

Fledgling Freddie
I've played ToA since day 1 US and still think half the stuff on VN was BS. Despite playing since day 1 I encounter 1 bugged artifact encounter which was fixed within a week and also thought I'd found a bugged ML step only it wasn't bugged, we just did it wrong.

Hit by one encounter-stopping bug for an expansion the side of ToA? Can't really say it was a disaster.

99% of the CSR whines were people not understanding the CSR system, i.e. reporting a bug then wondering why they didn't get an answer - you don't get answers for that.

99% of the bug whines were people not understanding the encounter, perhaps Mythic could've give more info, but at the same time perhaps people shouldn't cry bugged just because they can't figure something out.

There is one point I'll partially agree on however, 50% of the balance whines were justified - things such as battler.

Rhesus_Minus

Fledgling Freddie
Korax said:

and voila!

I dont like ToA, and I know 2 other who have quitted now after trying it.
I also know 5 who are considering quitting.
Reason is:
Takes too much time now, getting Master levels, exping weapons (wtf?) and all that just to be able to compete in rvr. All of these ppl have played DAoC since the first release. New rvr is a good idea but ToA, artifacts, naah, I´ll find meself another game or maybe try out the real life a while ;)

Driwen

Fledgling Freddie
well we cant really compare "how bad" the americans got it, as we jumped to 1.67 immediatly (which was a patch 6 weeks after the launch).
Btw an expansion launch isnt supposed to mean that you can then continue to patch it right away, 1.66 went all the way up to t at least while at launch it had started at something like h. So the ToA launch didnt go very well, but as long as you get some artifacts and do the ML's you should be fine (and after 1.68 the need of artifacts is lower).

InvisibleGrats

Fledgling Freddie
kinda like ultima

Ya know, a long long time ago, i played a mmorpg (err whatever) called Ultima Online. a patch called P.16 was coming and it would make it so you cant control so many dragons and you had to have higher taming, ruining it for my tamer. tons of people were ditching and the prophets were laying waste to UO. But that didnt stop me...i waited untill 2 weeks after the patch was released, then i left.

MORAL OF THE STORY- dont just leave because prophets, experience that it sucks for yourself, then leave.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
No whine, but ToA had me out the front door, slamming it. Bye Daoc :)

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
All i can say....

I see alot of ppl complain about toa, on the other hand there are the ppl who like it.

Now the fact....

If you do /who emain you find about 3 ppl there. the server poulation is about 3000 to make it easy to count 3000/3 = 1000/realm (dont care about uneven balance) so 3 x 3 realms is 9 out of 1000 ppl play rvr

Conclusion....

99% loves TOA
1% dont love TOA

Success addon imo ;)

greetings

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
InvisibleGrats said:
MORAL OF THE STORY- dont just leave because prophets, experience that it sucks for yourself, then leave.

Good moral, shame you had to kick a dead horse to get it across though.

Tuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Deadnala said:
All i can say....

I see alot of ppl complain about toa, on the other hand there are the ppl who like it.

Now the fact....

If you do /who emain you find about 3 ppl there. the server poulation is about 3000 to make it easy to count 3000/3 = 1000/realm (dont care about uneven balance) so 3 x 3 realms is 9 out of 1000 ppl play rvr

Conclusion....

99% loves TOA
1% dont love TOA

Success addon imo ;)

greetings

if you wanna continue playing daoc and do rvr, need get done these ML steps + get some artifacts, if you dont do these? wellcome to farmers paradise.

like someone allready say
- like new graf
- like custom skins
- hate and hate day after day more xp grin what this bring to us.

SI was different thing.
there was ~5-10 new MUST quests, and for these quest you didnt need 8fg.
new dungeons (TG in mids) was ok, you didnt live in dungeon and raid it day after day whit 50 peep. like we need do now in toa.

TOA in my eyes would been fine if biggest zerg you ever need bring to some ML step is ~2fg and rest 99% 1fg is enough and still from this 99% you can do 90% solo.

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Deadnala said:
All i can say....

Now the fact....

Conclusion....

99% loves TOA
1% dont love TOA

Success addon imo ;)

greetings

Way to early to make any sort of claim on the limited data available to us but I would be amazed if people 'just cancelled'. Most will have on-going subscriptions and you would expect the majority to give ToA a try.

it is clear that Mythic's QA has taken a huge hit - so in that sense not a success . It is also clear that ToA has not been popular - say what you will but independent reviews have not been 'overwhelming'. Compare this to SI.

As far as numbers signs so far suggest 'no change' in Europe - not exactly the big influx of people that Mark Jacobs was hoping for. (His comments pre SI that he saw expansions adding to the user base).

When the dust settles I think Mythic / GoA will be happy if there is only a limited decline in the player base.

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
I'm prolly weird in my outlook but as an almost pure PvE/social player ToA offers very little to me. My net goal from leveling another 50 was the satisfaction of a uphill battle won. My druid is now 47 and after she's hit 50 there's no type of character I haven't played and enjoyed. I've never PL'ed even one of those chars in my sig. and never will.

For me ToA only serves to distance me as a player from the game. As someone with five level 50s and little time to play them I can't find the time to do MLs for them all and am disinclined to do so in any case. It's just a case of keep up of give up in terms of RvR.

As an ex-FPS player I'd rather take my RvR (as it were) to an FPS game - after all in FPS we're all born equal (read we spawn equal) and from there you rely on skill.

Imagine buying HL2 and being harder to kill in HL1? Not gonna happen. Well not to me in any case.

Apologies for moaning but you can't help the way you feel and I know that TBH I'm a minority player type :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom