TOA Client to be Phased Out

Nate

FH is my second home
another thing thats probably gonna be included in the phase out is getting rid of old character models, as they have said "So we didn't spend months doing TOA-client armor skins for the new race." thats gonna really mess up a lot of peoples bot machines i guess, including mine which can't run the new models

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Nate said:
another thing thats probably gonna be included in the phase out is getting rid of old character models, as they have said "So we didn't spend months doing TOA-client armor skins for the new race." thats gonna really mess up a lot of peoples bot machines i guess, including mine which can't run the new models

Two birds with one stone then ... get rid of the old client and reduce the number of buffbots \o/

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
Nate said:

if they do that i be upset, with the old skins pretty much any machine will do as bb pc, and many ppl will having problems running DR/cata with there main machine with new models

Nate

FH is my second home
imo they just came with this post way too early after the new expansion, there is so much lag people are moaning about on the us boards..then to add a goodbye ToA client...it just isn't what any of the us players want to hear atm.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
Well yes and no Nate.

Yes because they could have waited a bit with the announcement, even though this would have added "omg why didn't you tell us earlier" whine in the mix.

But no as well because lets face it they could have made the new client run 500 times smoother then TOA. And make it so light that it could run on a calculator and people would still whine. It's change, it's not optional, therefor it is whinable. \o/

Jeros

Part of the furniture
DAMMIT!

I was already screwed over when they got rid of the SI client and had to upgrade and now this!

There is a huge difference between TOA and Catas wtf is the point in this they are just going to lose customers in order to save time doing patches and expansions, surly that time does not matter with less money coming in!

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
Varmuus said:
Ehh, how much do u spend in bar / night? :eek2:

can easy blow 100£ if u count in all expencise, thats if i not playing black jack

GReaper

Part of the furniture
The ToA client has only been alive for just over 3 years, it was launched in October 2003 on US servers.

I'm sure players wouldn't mind things as much if they were able to downgrade all the fancy effects in the new clients they don't need. For example, why does every machine have to render every part of unique armour? Tribes 2 managed to gracefully reduce the quality on armour for players who lowered the settings to increase speed. DAoC does have a few options (clipping distance, shadows, etc.) but could do with more!

Mythic also needs to pay attention to the fact that the game is now an evil memory hog, even if they do optimise a few leaks it still eats memory. :(

Manisch Depressiv

Part of the furniture
Optimizing leaks? Hehehe... Sounds nasty.

You either remove them or introduce them. If you optimize memory leaks then no one can help you.

I am sure you ment they remove some, but I couldn't resist to comment.

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
Tesla Monkor said:
If you find your hardware can't deal with a new client, it's time to upgrade your hardware.

I think thats a pretty stupid idea.

This is one change Mythic have made, that on the face of it looks dumb, but is something I can understand why.

I dont know how many clients it is they maintain at the moment, but when I played it was three, SI, ToA and Cata. For a development side, this must have been a nightmare. Having just one client is a far far better idea.

However, it would totally silly for mythic to think every affected customer will upgrade their systems. Many people dont care about gfx, and care about performance. When I played DAoC, if there had been the option to turn textures into basic colors, (ie grass texture is now just the colour green) you can bet I would have it turned on.

Mythic need to continue with there so far sounding good Cata engine upgrades, but they also need to start putting some real perforance settings in the game. E.G low poly models

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom