TOA Client to be Phased Out

Nate

FH is my second home
From the Herald

Herald said:
The minotaurs, if you use the TOA client, are naked. Okay, not NAKED, but there's definitely no armor besides the newbie stuff. This is not a bug. We are planning to phase out the TOA client within the next three months, and while I'll give you plenty of warning before it happens, that train is a-comin'. So we didn't spend months doing TOA-client armor skins for the new race.
But please read on:

We spent a huge chunk of development time for this expansion optimizing the Catacombs/DR client, because the first thing the entire team did (when the topic of phasing out the TOA client came up) was shriek, NOOOOO. "We need that client for big RVR battles!" "You can't take away the TOA client until we fix the new client!" "Whimper." That last was me and Missy, picturing the state of the boards.
PLEASE try the new and vastly improved client, and please send us feedback about particular areas of difficulty before the TOA client is phased out.

uh oh :D don't use the TOA client anymore myself tbh but I forsee whine!

eble@work

Fledgling Freddie
Well I use the TOA client as I dual log for my BB,

So if they phase out TOA and I cant use DR/Catas (which atm I cant for RVR) then I guess I'm being phased out aswell.

Eble

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
my son plays on his laptop which cant run the catas/DR client so thats another customer the game is going to lose.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
lol and i get flamed on another post for daring to say that we wont be able to play with TOA client :)

Basic_X

Fledgling Freddie
but if you run cata with classic skins. wouldnt it be the same as using a toa client?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
try loggingin TOA then run through cammy, then change to Catas and try run through cammy. You'll see the difference

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
funny, as im finding the DR client (old skins ofc) less laggy then the TOA client, but i understand the dual loggers, hard to do that with cata/DR client and an old pc

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Just have to hope for those that use it that paragraph 2 is listened to.

Darzil

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Won't affect me personally but a few Guildies I know will have a problem with this. Stupid move on a game that is in decline. Will force people to upgrade PC's or throw in the towel. The situation on Excal/Pry cluster is already bad enough without this incomming.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Won't affect me personally but a few Guildies I know will have a problem with this. Stupid move on a game that is in decline. Will force people to upgrade PC's or throw in the towel. The situation on Excal/Pry cluster is already bad enough without this incomming.

Unless of course the improvements make the later clients as good as TOA was?

Darzil

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:

ok, my system is a amd2000+, gf4ti4600, 1.25ram, i run the DR client with the old models and i mostly play solo rvr with my infil with almost no lagg. Think the pc is abit over 4 years old.

if i play in fg or it gets to zergy i just do /effects none.
A machine like that u can buy used on ebay/whatever for less then 100 quid. Double that and u have a amd64 with a good gfx. Its not gonna cost a fortune to get a machine that can run DR w/o lagg.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Oboy said:
ok, my system is a amd2000+, gf4ti4600, 1.25ram, i run the DR client with the old models and i mostly play solo rvr with my infil with almost no lagg. Think the pc is abit over 4 years old.

if i play in fg or it gets to zergy i just do /effects none.
A machine like that u can buy used on ebay/whatever for less then 100 quid. Double that and u have a amd64 with a good gfx. Its not gonna cost a fortune to get a machine that can run DR w/o lagg.

Fine, but not everyone has that much money spend (100-200 GBP). Or would risk buying second hand parts. Some people that play are students and rely on parents to pay for upgrades. Or worse on Grants for uni and any money spent on comps would detract from the main object of Uni getting sex, drink and drugs ;)

Oboy

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Fine, but not everyone has that much money spend (100-200 GBP). Or would risk buying second hand parts. Some people that play are students and rely on parents to pay for upgrades. Or worse on Grants for uni and any money spent on comps would detract from the main object of Uni getting sex, drink and drugs ;)
if u are underage and live at ur parents a small time job will do and as a student theres many offers on cheap pc on instalment. Been a student myself and first prio actually was a good pc, then it was those other things u mentioned :p

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Am seriously concerned for rvr lagginess tbh, atm DR it's a no go for me, rest is fine -.-

Varmuus

One of Freddy's beloved
FYI

===================================

Dark Age of Camelot
Version 1.86 Release Notes
Labyrinth of the Minotaur
November 14, 2006

===================================
Performance Related Fixes (Catacombs Client)

During the 1.86 patch cycle, the development team determined that performance-related issues needed to be one of our top priorities. With that in mind, the team aggressively sought out and fixed several issues that would cause the game’s performance to degrade over time. A total of eleven performance-degrading issues relating to the interface windows, character faces, loading screens, sky dome, trees, and tree shaders were resolved.

Note: The Catacombs client affects players who use Catacombs, Darkness Rising, or Labyrinth clients.

So they actually are doing something about this :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Oboy said:
if u are underage and live at ur parents a small time job will do and as a student theres many offers on cheap pc on instalment. Been a student myself and first prio actually was a good pc, then it was those other things u mentioned :p
are you seriously suggesting they pay installments for a pc because they are now unable to play the game they have purchased due to factors out of their control?
Mythic will prolly release a tweaked Cata client which runs on the par with the toa one like they did with si and later toa

heh ejust saw the post above :p

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
they need to do alot to fix the performance of catacombs/dr as it seems to have huge memory leaks etc.

the difference for me with toa/dr is clearly noticable on a amd 64 3200+ 1024ram radeon x800xl, and its not a bad computer, other games that demand very high performance of the computer works just fine, but cata/dr is just major crap.

hope they do fucking loads of improvement in the new clients, many ppl who will find rvr lagy or likewise otherwise :/

leviathane

Part of the furniture
why phase out their best rvr client :( dr/cata liek madition said seems to have to much memory leakage atm.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
they've improved the DR/catacombs/labyrinth client quite substantially recently.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
unbelievably bad news , guess its mythics way of telling me to piss off :)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
they've improved the DR/catacombs/labyrinth client quite substantially recently.

Don't bother, Flim, no one is reading that sort of reply, it was even in the second paragraph of the quote.

Easier to say Doom, and GOA / Mythic suck than to read.

I'd suggest seeing how people find the improved client before saying Doom, especially as it only hit the US yesterday.

Darzil

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
Haven't use TOA client in ages, tbh I use DR client even in my laptop (which isn't a very powerful), Altho I do know some who still use TOA client.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
Darzil said:
Don't bother, Flim, no one is reading that sort of reply, it was even in the second paragraph of the quote.

Easier to say Doom, and GOA / Mythic suck than to read.

I'd suggest seeing how people find the improved client before saying Doom, especially as it only hit the US yesterday.

Darzil

well mythic do suck in this case , releasing clients with ever degrading performance from toa and forth , allways weigthed fluff and shiny surfaces way over playability , their priorities seems heavily influenced by the "my game looks old so im bored brigade" , sadly because what makes this game good is not that the luri has a shiny moustache.

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
dub said:
well mythic do suck in this case , releasing clients with ever degrading performance from toa and forth , allways weigthed fluff and shiny surfaces way over playability , their priorities seems heavily influenced by the "my game looks old so im bored brigade" , sadly because what makes this game good is not that the luri has a shiny moustache.

d00ooo00ooo000ooo00ooo00m

Everz

FH is my second home
cata/dr are crap clients.. qq now you have to play em ;/

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
Pirkel said:
d00ooo00ooo000ooo00ooo00m

id rather use slow deteriorating to describe the process , if you bothered to read youd notice i dont claim doom but rather draw on previous events to estimate what we are likely to get :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom