Toa and falling behind already.

Puppet

Part of the furniture
WeaponX said:
There I feel better getting that off of my chest.

Anyone else feel the same?

Yep.Understand your concerns perfectly. Im also sad about the fact it will be even more hard to make alts 'viable' again in RvR. No matter how you twist and turn it: ML have upped the level in RvR again.

What I did: Make choices, choose a toon and a path which you like. Then choose till how far you 'need' for your own. For example for my druid 'I want ML3' and after that I see, possible ML5 if all goes fast but I know my druid will be competative with ML3.

Also: People start new toons, reveal old alts and do ML's with them. Tag along and 'free-ride' on them (tho it aint 'free-riding' because you are doing stuff as well).

Make sure you get 'crucial' stuff. For ML1 for example the Ruby is crucial; be sure you get one yourselves (or that it stays in the group who goes ML1.10 with you). Do the Ressa encounter and be sure to get a mirror to you / in your group.

Also: Be always prepared. Do solo-steps as soon as you can and carry enough breathingpotions. Most encounters are Battlegroup and nobody minds an extra char to tag along since all can help ;)

And... promote that you got Pickpocket; gives a good 30-100 coin extra on a decent dungeon-crawl in the ML3 dungeon for example :D

f1sty

Fledgling Freddie
Pitspawn said:
Im feeling the same atm and ive got more time than most have, its still not enough ... I feel like i need to be unemployed to compete rofl :eek:

Hit the nail on the head their mate, you work your ass off to make ends meet, then at the end of the month a feckin huge chunk of that cash (40% for me :( ) is handed out to all the ppl who are owning you in RvR :)

Kinda sux imo. Nerf wasters :twak:

Exioce

Part of the furniture
Nearly ml1 after the first week
I'm almost as l33t as Fedaykin tbh

Gillaien

Fledgling Freddie
Well, it's true.

ToA is really bringing in a huge gap between hardcore and casual players, much much more than RAs ever did.

E.g. looking at ML3 raids taking up to 12h with just about no breaks, it cab't really be surprising that people who have a job etc are getting fed up with the game...

I haven't seen this at the beginning, but now I clearly do... got ToA monday last week after I had come back from skiing, I'm in the 2 months spring break from Uni so I thought well, you have time, go play some. So I did. My gf has to work during the day anyway, so I got up with her around 9, logged on when she left and played till she came back, about 10h straight, for a week.

Well, what have I got? ML1 on my Menta and ML2 on my druid (with steps 3.9 and 4.2, 4.7, 4.8 done), 2 activated artifacts (Alvarus Leggins lvl 0 and Oracle lvl 2), some scrolls I need (full Moon Belt set, some inscribed stone, an egg and a medical log) and about 10 I don't need.

So thats my summary of about 60h of ToA after I got it.

Now, taking into account that there are tests I have to pass during spring break, and that my work shifts have started again (5 nights/month), I must face the fact that I can hardly get any further...

I have maybe 2-3h to spent on DAoC per day if I max out my time capacity, but I sure won't play when my gf is home (unless she watches some stuff on tv I dont wanna see anyway), and when I am working I have to leave house by 7:30pm so I cant join most of the raids, which are starting in the afternoons and mostly dont finish before midnight.

Sure, I wanna be ML10 with my main and a decent ML with my menta, want to get all my artis activated, want them lvl 10 (best before the next patch where the xping bug is fixed). But facing the facts, that wont happen. Maybe I will have some of that in a year, if I still play by then, but most of the funky stuff won't be mine.

That wouldn't be too depressing, its the same with RRs - I always knew I'd won't get to RR9 or 10 unless I play another year or 2 - but with ToA it really feels like I am gonna stay a lvl 20 guy while the rest is dinging 50 some day.

This is maybe the first time where I really miss the fun that game used to give me... ToA is ace, but only if you have shitloads of time to spend, and nobody with a real life (and there are many who don't realize they are living in Atlantis now) that includes job, gf and other friends, parties, going out, even watching tv or going to the movies once in a while, will have this time spare unless he sacrifices something for it...

And that should really never be. Addictions easily rule your life, and toa is a nr.1 drug.

Skaven

One of Freddy's beloved
Gillaien said:
And that should really never be. Addictions easily rule your life, and toa is a nr.1 drug.
Great post m8.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Gillaien said:
want to get all my artis activated, want them lvl 10 (best before the next patch where the xping bug is fixed)
No such thing, afaik -- this is no xp:ing bug, but merely a display bug. Artifacts currently show you their full xp in relation to the xp needed to the next level, not just the xp needed from the last level to the next. Or something like that.

Wabbit

Fledgling Freddie
After 2 years

After 2 years of Daoc (started just after Beta) I quit this game because of TOA. There is no way someone with a normal life can keep up with the farming that students-schoolkids,jobless etc can do just because they have tripple the time for it.

Tried to get at least some stuff the first weeks but seeing that my toons were stuck on ML1 (because all the MLx.9 and MLx.10 usually only starts when Im asleep for yet another day at work) and tried to get some artifacts (all the easy ones that dont need a 10fg perfect setup are, and will be for the next month, camped)

MOst people tell me to play for fun,,,but its no longer any fun if you see lots of people around you with cool new stuff or see /as who has ML4 group? if you are still trying to get a group for 1.9. I havent even tried RvR but in a few weeks when the ubber l33t guilds return to Emain and Odins with their RR9+ ML6+ All artifact-wearing perfectly balanced groups I guess the game is officially dead for the casual player.

For those who can cope with it, I envy you, cos I can certainly not and /quit my accounts 2 days ago.

Ziva

Fluffy
The only thing i would like to see changed is some kind of split RvR zone based on RR or maybe even ML or something. This would give lower RR/ML (usually the casual players) a good chance to have nice fights instead of having to fight against RR10+ and ML10+ players :)

And very good post Gillaien and i see your point. However i see many people rushing off to get ML10+ and their artifacts asap and that's fine offcourse but my guess is that the same people will probably fill these forums with whines about RvR (zerging, overpowered artifacts, ML abilities, boring, bla bla) soon. So i don't believe casual players have less fun then the die hards because of having less time for DaoC.

Many people around who can't spend that much time on DaoC as some the only thing is that you need to find them :D

Bishibosh

Fledgling Freddie
Quite simply, ToA is a game for 24/7ers :|, and ur screwed if ur life isnt dedicated to ToA throughout the week... I'm currently going to be stuck on ML3 for i have no idea how long now as I missed the alliance pre-req quests by one day so couldnt get some of them and people really hate that ML so are keen to get out of it and im now left with an empty ml exp bar, 6 qus to go and no pre quests... it could take weeks theres not much in the way of random ml3 grps :(

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Well tbh.. only thing you need to be competive is artifacts, as far as i know only the classes that can choose perfecter NEED to get some ml's. As a caster i have the luxury (? :p) of having shit ml's and im not gonna do them at all, thank god btw.. :eek:
After a while the artifact mobs aren't always camped and people start selling artifacts and scrolls more. The more ppl farm them the cheaper they get... which was seen with SI "uber" stuff. So getting a char ready for rvr should get easier.

WeaponX

Fledgling Freddie
Well again thank you for all of your replies. The account no longer belongs to me and I can safely say that I will not be coming back. Thank you all to those who have known me and have helped me in the past. You know who you are.

Ranger

Fledgling Freddie
if it helps m8 your not the only one falling behind.

cant seem to get past ML1 :( just gonna farm some artifacts every now and then.

o, and get the new euro TOA site up and running me and a team are making ;)

Skilgannon

Fledgling Freddie
Was fortunate to have the luxury of 2 weeks (almost) off work following ToA release and so was able to get more done than I ordinarily would have done, but TBH not all that more.

As I am someone who can normally only play during the evening/weekend I was surprised at just how little I was able to do during the day simply because the numbers just didn't exist for the larger encounters. Sure, daytime was great for artifact levelling and some scroll farming, but a considerable amount of time was spent waiting and waiting for enough people to gather to do the encounter.

As for falling behind. Sure, some will perceive themselves as falling behind but then there are alot who perceived themselves as having fallen behind when the first chars hit 40 and they were just 30. There is a finite number of levels in an artifact and a finite number of MLs. All will have them eventually.

If, like me, you cannot play all day then you just have to be a little more focused in getting as much out of your online time as possible. Weekdays, plan your scroll farming/artifact levelling/artifact encounters and leave the big ML sessions for the weekends.

There are enough players in the same boat to get some good weekend encounters going.

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
it took me 40 days /played to get Fingoniel to 50

I can't imagine ML10 taking anywhere near that long a time ;)

Took me about 15 maybe 20 for Glamis - I didn't PL I xped the old fashioned way... (didn't solo much, a little bit but not a lot, and I didn't craft unlike Fing who spent 2 weeks solid doing consignments to raise cash for the HG guild emblem ;))

I'd not be surprised if ToA took another 15 days /played to get me all the nifty artifacts I want and the MLs etc.

yes it'll take time, yes the munchkins will be there long before you or I will (same way some guilds were level 50 on camlann whilst some of us were trying to get past level 5 ;)) but you don't have to be ML10 today, you don't have to be ML10 tomorrow - there's a shitload of stuff to do in ToA and I'm feeling the pull of all these different things to do "wanna see this" or "Ooh lets do that" and not feeling like I'm getting very far...

But take it steps at a time - don't do your raids all x.1 through x.10 in one shot - take a look at the monsters in the dungeons before ye rush past them after your next ML ;) stop and try and enjoy the atmosphere, the tricks and the puzzles before you try and memorize the walkthroughs...

I guarantee you you'll have a lot more enjoyment from ToA than if you rush it.

Pin

One of Freddy's beloved
2 weeks after release and I got my first artifact activated last night :D
I have my Reaver to ML3 (and ML3 buffbot too ;)) and no other char above ML0

Damn it. I guess that means I've fallen behind :(

But so what? I'm not playing the game to be the fastest, or the 'best'. I'm logging on to play with, talk to and have fun with friends for a few hours - exactly the same as I was before ToA.
And at the current rate, it looks like I'll be occupied for at least the next 4-6 months. It's absolutely fantastic!

Beccy

Fledgling Freddie
stighelmer said:
LIES

And btw, wot I miss is the RvR, the fg stuff. And to be able to compete in that I need 1. A class respec 2. Loads of PvE to level artifacts and gain MLs.

Before ToA I just needed the 1.

I just want good old days back. Make it so that PvE expansions do not mess up RvR. Let it be for those who enjoy exploring and PvE:ing more than RvR. Please :(

:clap: :clap:

New drops would be oki :) Even the ones that raise the cap. But just remove the frigging ML's and the arti

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Do what you can, no point feeling left out because you arent rushing through the master levels, for some people gettign the master levels and gaining RPs is like work, i play this game for fun and intend to take my time.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Last couple of posters, Flimgoblin, Pin, Raven, have the right idea :)
If you treat it like work then ofc it wont be very funny. Im also "behind" at this point (1 artifact, ML3) but i cant say it bothers me - ill keep getting owned in RvR after ToA just as i was before ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom