To late to start playing?

Clipz

Fledgling Freddie
Hi,

I have posted a few months back but never got around to making my mind up.

Is it to late to start playing now? Are there any low levels around or would I be hunting solo all of the time?

I have played AC2, Eve, SWG, CoH, AO, Ryzom...even Horizons!!! but still I have not found a long term MMOG to play that I enjoy.

DAOC looks good on paper with a PvP end game to aim for but would I end up being lonely and bored if I started playing now?

Irakaz

Fledgling Freddie
If u think this game is just for the endgame . . . . oh wait yeah it is :eek7: . Seriously tho this game is great. I had to delete all of my chars on my US account to come hear last week and there are lots of low level chars runnin about.

Ufortunately most of these have alts so they have a level 40-50 char that there just not laying right now, but many reroll just for the expansions and the new characters.

You can start new here and be happy :D . You may even get a head start if u help a few people out, cos u never know if they have 50 gold to spare or time to PL your character a level. Dont despair start now!!

If you play at off-peak hours then solo is a problem, but ive had no trouble gettin grps and i was a Bonedancer!! Great soloers and i have a Skald to for grps.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
really great to see that the game still gets new players :) hope u enjoy the game and stick with it for a long time :)

and dont hesitate to ask the other players for help.. most of us help with a few gold or advice where to hunt if no groups available and what to train etc... :)

oh, and ask around for a guild mate.. :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Yes join a large friendly guild so you have people to help and instruct you. Also, be prepared to solo alot of the first 20 levels, since most players with a 50 level character use a /level 20 command to start new characters at level 20. Dont despair tho, those levels arent very difficult and most classes can probably solo them easily.
Dont make a stealther as your first character unless you really really want one of these, since you will have a hard time getting a grp with it.

Clipz

Fledgling Freddie
Thankyou all for your comments. I'm going to order the gold pack 2 today and give it a go :)

Any suggestions on what server/guild to join and what's a good first character thats fun to play but can solo fairly well.

Right where's that credit card hiding.......

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
There are few "real" solo classes in DAoC - most are designed to fit in a group. But there are those that solo better than others, and if you have 2 accounts (a buffbot account, which some people think of as soloing) you can solo with almost any class.

In Midgard i would say the strongest soloers (without buffbot) are:
¤Bonedancer (supression specced, might get groups but often not)
¤Thane (selfbuffs, will get groups in pve but not in rvr, might change in the New Frontiers expansion)
¤Hunter (selfbuffs, wont get groups)
¤Healer (augumentation specced, will also get groups)

There are other nice classes but then you will have to group to advance quickly (or get a buffbot account).

Dont really know about the other realms but i imagine that in Hibernia a: Warden, Bard, Mentalist, Enchanter or Champion would solo pretty well without a bot. All of them should be able to get groups as well. Rangers have selfbuffs just as mid hunters so they can probably also solo reasonably well.

Dont roll in Albion, the world does not need more albs :D (seriously, its the most populated realm - hibernia is the least populated with mid in between).
Exalibur is the most populated server and Prydwen somewhat less.

Take a look at:
www.classesofcamelot.com

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
lol hunter as a good soloer .. you actually solo'd one to 50 . damn they take a lot of dmg and loads of downtime... I would say a SM is a good solo'er but never a hunter rofl

Zorin

Fledgling Freddie
Paladin/Theurgist/Sorcerer/Necromancer are good solo classes in alb.

Zorin said:
Paladin/Theurgist/Sorcerer/Necromancer are good solo classes in alb.

aye anf if you spec your Sorc body/mind you will have lots of fun!!
Theurgist ... Ice is prolly best solo spec takes less mana than Air (imho)
Necro = Deathsight..nothing else worth speccing atm
Paladin = Grps will fight over you in your 40's!

Glerina

Fledgling Freddie
Don't forget the Friars!
They are, after the necro of course, the fastest soloer in albion. They are a really fun class to play and in PvE you'll get some groups, too...but no one wants them in RvR and Frontiers (which is the next expansion - for free) will probably make it worse

inviteme

Fledgling Freddie
id start with a pbae class if i was you, then you can pl whatever char you want in no time, and be wanted in rvr groups.

Slipurson

Fledgling Freddie
inviteme said:
id start with a pbae class if i was you, then you can pl whatever char you want in no time, and be wanted in rvr groups.

but then he needs a second account and could aswell make a buffbot at once :D

and yes there are still some lower (1-20) ppl running around the starter towns.

so i would not say that it is to late to start playing DAoC.

Good luck with whatever realm/server u choose :D

Serathule

Fledgling Freddie
If u chose albion get a Minstrel, they can do everything, stealth, cast spells, fight and u can solo aswell as u can get groups.

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
I'd say a minstrel, reaver or sorc are fun classes to start in alb, and can solo or group pretty well. Friars are nice PvE but are showing their age in RvR these days, especially at low RR.

Boogyman

Fledgling Freddie
Coren said:
I'd say a minstrel, reaver or sorc are fun classes to start in alb, and can solo or group pretty well. Friars are nice PvE but are showing their age in RvR these days, especially at low RR.

Remember that he is new to the game and classes like minstrell or sorc are not easy to play but got great potential. I played on all 3 realms to 50 and i`d say best for newbie would be: Friar in Albion, Skald in Midgard, and Enchanter in Hibernia. Those classes are OK in pve, can get group easy and not really hard to play, tho getting rvr group with a friar might be a problem :)

2 Clipz
Roll any class you like, but read some basics about the game and play a little with this charbuilder, great tool to construct your char spec + you'll see what abilities different chars have.
When you around 20-24 lvl take a trip to Thidranki for 1st RvR experience, so you`ll know your char better and decide, would you like to continue lvling with this 1 to 50 or roll something different isntead.

B

Baffa

I'm a new player too, came from Everquest about a week ago and I'm having a great time with my thane. I find it very easy to solo in PVE but I have no idea how good he is in RVR.
Btw, I will NEVER go back to Everquest ! Long live DAOC!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Baffa said:
I'm a new player too, came from Everquest about a week ago and I'm having a great time with my thane. I find it very easy to solo in PVE but I have no idea how good he is in RVR.

Thanes atm is great in pve but not so desirable in RvR, but hopefully that will change somwhat when New Frontiers come out...

cougar

Fledgling Freddie
Baffa said:

it's hard to start so late in a game, but hope you enjoy it.

Funkybunny

Banned
well.. i resently made a char on hibernia.. just for the fun of it... and a break from the pl sesions/rvr/Grinds on mid-excal... and i must say... on hibernia /prydwen.. theres LOTS of lowbys.... they also have a guild that is pretty fastgrowing now, with lots of chars who dont have a 50 in... named MARSH HORDE or something.. so that maybe a hint to start with... daoc is alot of grinding... i would say.. its 90% boring and 10% funtime... but when its fun.... its so goddamn fun that you its worth those 90% of boring.. :p

i rolled a valewalker.. and its a really fun class.. cant wait til i get more experience with him and i learn to play him really well :)

if you choose hibernia prydwen, you can check for Grimree and ill give you a couple of coins so youll survive the first lvls ;)

btw.. welcome to a great game... and i hope you love whinethreads/flamethreads.. coz that is a great way to spend the downtime.... :)

C

Clara

Glerina said:
Don't forget the Friars!
They are, after the necro of course, the fastest soloer in albion. They are a really fun class to play and in PvE you'll get some groups, too...but no one wants them in RvR and Frontiers (which is the next expansion - for free) will probably make it worse

rofl there the 3rd fastest soloer in albion

Necro = level50 = 3days
Cabby = level50 = 5days
Friar = Level50 = 9days

and i have lvl50 on each of these and soloed them all, although, if you want a char that is solo and great for grps, i wud go with the friar, because u can be a healer and a tank. and you also have the advantage of the fact you can buff as well :touch:

in midguard i wudnt bother with any of the solo classes namely cus there so boring, maybe even mind numbing, although the bonedancer is like a god when it starting in rvr, bd = rvr ownage

ruudoniac

Fledgling Freddie
Clipz said:
Thankyou all for your comments. I'm going to order the gold pack 2 today and give it a go :)

Any suggestions on what server/guild to join and what's a good first character thats fun to play but can solo fairly well.

Right where's that credit card hiding.......

excal/midgard - pick a tank - or a healer / with teh first u ll get often grps but u can solo a bit when u cant find a grp - if u choose a healer u ll almost have a grp so no worries ;))

ruudoniac

Fledgling Freddie
Baffa said:

Thanes in rvr isnt that good solution - so if u are planning to play alot rvr in the future make another char - imo the frontiers expansion wont change much the thane's position in rvr grps

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Ctuchik said:
Thanes atm is great in pve but not so desirable in RvR, but hopefully that will change somwhat when New Frontiers come out...

Most of the signs are that NF is going to screw pure melees royally.

And there was me hoping NF would stop RvR sucking.../givf co-op server.

Tasslehoff

Fledgling Freddie
Look in the paper you get with your game. Read abit bout the classes. Decide what realm you wanna go for, where you like at least 2 classes, in case the first on didn't appeal you as much when you actually played it.

Then you just gotta start, don't listen to everybody about spec, you can do that at higher levels. In the low levels, just go around and try different stuff. My first char took a truck load of time to get up to 50, was 14 days played in-game! Well, also some of the days were downtime. Still you get the idea. Might go faster with most other classes as I chose a stealther, which I'm not very sure was a good pick to start with, but as I said before. Any pick you think sounds nice, will have a good chance of being nice when actually played.

Your first char shouldn't be about being the most godly, should be about having fun and learning the game/realm and so fourth.

Good luck!

If you decide to go mid/prydwen you may contact Tasllehoff or Taslle if you need any help on anything :)

Coren

Fledgling Freddie
I wouldn't trust a thing I read in the DAoC manual....half of mine was still in French.

Friars are a great class (I should know), the reason I didn't suggest it was because they are not at all sought after for group RvR in the present state of affairs. If you're levelling form scratch you'll have plenty of time to get used to doing what a mincer/sorc does, and the abundance of stuff to play with stops it getting so boring.

Aremeriel

One of Freddy's beloved
Hope you'll enjoy the game, Clipz.

Baffa said:

Ctuchik said:

Welcome! Must say I love thanes... He he... A lot of peeps here will now think "WHAT? A healer that loves thanes???" Aye, I do... Odin's Ravens isn't a big guild, at the moment we only have 3 active lvl 50s... Two thanes and me... Next on the lvl list is... Also thane... And we had another thane who went over to a bigger guild... Aye, thanes aren't the most sought after class in RvR, but couple of thanes and a healer really roxx in PvE.

Funkybunny said:
its 90% boring and 10% funtime... but when its fun.... its so goddamn fun that you its worth those 90% of boring.. :p
I started in March 2003 and took a looooong time to reach 50 with my healer... I must say it's been the other way around for me though... 90% fun and 10 % boring.. The clue is to have fun no matter what you do... I've even been known to join a couple of guildmates to Varulvhamn (at level 50, they were 30+) out of group, just cc'ing and having fun chatting while helping them lvl a bit... Don't be afraid to be crazy, we all are... He he he...

Tasslehoff said:
Then you just gotta start, don't listen to everybody about spec, you can do that at higher levels.
Your first char shouldn't be about being the most godly, should be about having fun and learning the game/realm and so fourth.
Couldn't agree more, Tas.. ;) Remember the free skill respec you get at 20 and 40, may be worth their weight in gold (or plat for respec stones) later. I forgot to respec at 40, and now I need a stone.. He he...
If you join (or if Baffa has joined) mid/pryd, don't hesitate to contact me, I may not be able to help much out, but I'll do what I can, and apparently I'm very good at giving directions... If I'm not online, just do a /who ravens and ask my guild if I'm on another char... They may also be able to give you some advice if I'm not around too, which I most likely won't be for a bit over a week after the Dragon Raid today..

Phew... This became a long post... Hope you can make some useful out of it among all the bla bla bla bla.... Oh well... Bottom line is: Welcome (to both) and have fun!

Funkybunny

Banned
well.. i found a way to turn 90% boring 10% fun around...

Valewalker... i must say... best class ive ever played! was in df now.. been in pve for... 6-8 hours... tbh i dont know how long... but ive never had so much fun in all my career as a daoc-player... love every second playing my vw... the styles, the look, the damage, the evading.... everything... its awesome! :clap:

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
Clara said:
rofl there the 3rd fastest soloer in albion

Necro = level50 = 3days
Cabby = level50 = 5days
Friar = Level50 = 9days

and i have lvl50 on each of these and soloed them all, although, if you want a char that is solo and great for grps, i wud go with the friar, because u can be a healer and a tank. and you also have the advantage of the fact you can buff as well :touch:

in midguard i wudnt bother with any of the solo classes namely cus there so boring, maybe even mind numbing, although the bonedancer is like a god when it starting in rvr, bd = rvr ownage

Yes albs has some of the best solo classes, but its results in a un-naturally high population of those characters, and less people leveling up in groups.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Svartmetall said:
Most of the signs are that NF is going to screw pure melees royally.

And there was me hoping NF would stop RvR sucking.../givf co-op server.

thanes arent (supposed to be! ) pure melee :p

stormcalling for the win :worthy:

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
Fana said:
There are few "real" solo classes in DAoC - most are designed to fit in a group. But there are those that solo better than others, and if you have 2 accounts (a buffbot account, which some people think of as soloing) you can solo with almost any class.

In Midgard i would say the strongest soloers (without buffbot) are:
¤Bonedancer (supression specced, might get groups but often not)
¤Thane (selfbuffs, will get groups in pve but not in rvr, might change in the New Frontiers expansion)
¤Hunter (selfbuffs, wont get groups)
¤Healer (augumentation specced, will also get groups)

There are other nice classes but then you will have to group to advance quickly (or get a buffbot account).

Dont really know about the other realms but i imagine that in Hibernia a: Warden, Bard, Mentalist, Enchanter or Champion would solo pretty well without a bot. All of them should be able to get groups as well. Rangers have selfbuffs just as mid hunters so they can probably also solo reasonably well.

Dont roll in Albion, the world does not need more albs :D (seriously, its the most populated realm - hibernia is the least populated with mid in between).
Exalibur is the most populated server and Prydwen somewhat less.

Take a look at:
www.classesofcamelot.com

m8 u forgot SHAMIE :) imo one off the best soloers (kite 4 the win)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom