To: Goa GM's, about Prydscal cluster change as mentioned in the chronicles.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Okay guys, it's all nice and dandy that you're writing stuff like:
"The modification of the common zones for the Excalibur-Prydwen and Orcanie-Carnac clusters will also take place by the beginning of january."
in last week's reporter, and in this week there's this entry:
"We will also announce the date for the clustering of German and French servers to come as well as the merging of additional zones for the English servers."
But which zones are we talking about?? I mean, it may be me that I cannot find it in the reporter, but I've looked over it several times and I don't see any further info on it :/

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
okay, found this in last week's reporter now:
"But this is not all. We will use this maintenance to modify another parameter of the clustered servers : we will expand the common zones. The capital cities and RvR zones were shared before, now the classic areas, the Shrouded Isles and the Catacombs will also be clustered in order to make group creation easier, especially for low level characters. The Atlantis zones will remain server bound in order to make player interactions easier, as well as the housing zones, for obvious technical reasons."
but it's printed before there has been any mentioning of the prydscal changes, and after the mentioning of the avalon/stonehenge changes so to me it wasn't really clear.

Anyway, if I read it correctly, the following changes will occur in prydscal:
Classic zones merger
Shrouded Isles zones merger
Catacombs zones merger
---
Trials of Atlantis stays seperated
Cities stay merged
RvR zones stay merged

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Start learning German or French m8 they Fucked Glastonbury up for English speakers we all be moving to Camlan soon :(

Soulja

Dre@d

Fledgling Freddie
Bs souljia, u dont really need to know german to play with em, they are very friendly ppl ( not like here ofc) and most of em can speak english to u and offer help.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
correct...but isn't the server language in german too? so all quest windows, trainers etc all in german?

Soulja_IA_

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
correct...but isn't the server language in german too? so all quest windows, trainers etc all in german?

Yep Correct and my post was not a flame at German users of that server but at Goa for not truly thinking it out for English speakers Yes some people I met have been dam helpful but this does not address issue that it all looks Gobbly Fucking Dook to me on my Screen.

Soulja

Dre@d

Fledgling Freddie

Eeben

Fledgling Freddie
Dre@d said:
I dont know a shit in german and im not having serious problems about housing stuff and windows in german, just use some web pages to help u a bit and incase u cant sovle it ask to some german dude that will help ya for sure, nps.
Even for more help : http://dict.leo.org/ende?searchLoc=1&searchLocRelinked=1&lp=ende&search=&lp=ende&lang=en

http://toa.planet-multiplayer.de/index.php?document=artefakte/schriftrollen&sort=artefakte

Even for a retarded spaniard like me its quite "easy" to do it ;)

listen to the spaniard!!! :D

Himse

FH is my second home
why cant they just make it so you can set the language upon login? and just cluster every server, maybe Mythic / GOA should stop being lazy and think about practicality for a dying game.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Himse said:
why cant they just make it so you can set the language upon login? and just cluster every server, maybe Mythic / GOA should stop being lazy and think about practicality for a dying game.

Something like that would take the intervention of Mythic, but since all their servers are English anyway why would they invest the time?

You are correct though, this is the only eventual solution for the EU DAoC servers - multi-language servers and cluster them all or watch them all bleed out.

Syri

FH is my second home
Himse said:
because all of the text is stored server side, not client side. so it's set one time for all, not one time for each login. changing it would mean re-writing the whole dialogue system for both client and server

IainC

English WAR Community Manager
To answer the original question. You were correct in the second post Ingafgrinn. Essentially every zone will now be merged with the exception of ToA zones (to make raids easier) and Housing (because they can't be shared). There's really no good reason to have two instances of Classic, SI, Catacombs etc and this should make it easier for people to find other people and form groups.

Darkptang

Fledgling Freddie
excal/pryd server language gonna change for german or french? :puke: i want 95% discount on my subs if they change it!!! :(

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:
To answer the original question. You were correct in the second post Ingafgrinn. Essentially every zone will now be merged with the exception of ToA zones (to make raids easier) and Housing (because they can't be shared). There's really no good reason to have two instances of Classic, SI, Catacombs etc and this should make it easier for people to find other people and form groups.

that still leaves allot unanswered like... is it in preparation for a merge with the German server or... is there a more sinister plot?

Kami

Can't get enough of FH
I doubt it's preparation for a merge just yet they recently clustered the Cats zones on the US Bossiney cluster as it was the only ones that hadn't previously been merged.

Himse

FH is my second home
RS|Phil said:
Something like that would take the intervention of Mythic, but since all their servers are English anyway why would they invest the time?

You are correct though, this is the only eventual solution for the EU DAoC servers - multi-language servers and cluster them all or watch them all bleed out.

They should make it client side. Maybe they should re-write it, and do something useful, rather than pissing about making useless changes to classes and making shitty expansions.

IainC

psyco said:
that still leaves allot unanswered like... is it in preparation for a merge with the German server or... is there a more sinister plot?
No, it's not in preparation for any further clusters. We're simply using the opportunity to re-order the English cluster and make it easier. There are noplans at all to change the language of Excal/Prydwen and no plans to cluster them with any foreign servers.

Himse said:
They should make it client side. Maybe they should re-write it, and do something useful, rather than pissing about making useless changes to classes and making shitty expansions.

Putting all the text client side would mean an install size of several hundred gigabytes. There's an awful lot of text in an MMO.

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
No, it's not in preparation for any further clusters. We're simply using the opportunity to re-order the English cluster and make it easier. There are noplans at all to change the language of Excal/Prydwen and no plans to cluster them with any foreign servers.

Putting all the text client side would mean an install size of several hundred gigabytes. There's an awful lot of text in an MMO.

Oh, it wouldn't be several hunderd gig surely? I'll take that as meaning it would be huge, which is a fair point, and why it's unlikely to happen client side.

Like I said though, the only sensible solutions for the EU servers (if they continue to decline) is clustering them all and having multilanguage support. Something I guess Mythic would have to be behind, but again as I said before, it's unlikely to be a priority considering the home language of their own servers. Never say never though :)

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Requiel said:
Thanks ;)
Requiel said:
Well, I highly doubt that it contains more than say, 100.000 pages.
A page on average takes 400 words, which is about 2000 characters. This makes 200.000.000 characters.
A character in unicode takes 2 bytes, which makes it 400.000.000 bytes = 400.000 kbyte = 400mbyte.
Compress this at a 70% ratio (not unreasonable if it's saved in clear text) and you'll have a 120MB datafile.

psyco

Fledgling Freddie
Requiel said:

thank god

Sparklehorse

Fledgling Freddie
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Thanks ;)
Well, I highly doubt that it contains more than say, 100.000 pages.
A page on average takes 400 words, which is about 2000 characters. This makes 200.000.000 characters.
A character in unicode takes 2 bytes, which makes it 400.000.000 bytes = 400.000 kbyte = 400mbyte.
Compress this at a 70% ratio (not unreasonable if it's saved in clear text) and you'll have a 120MB datafile.

Wow u dont know how much of a nerd that makes u sound lolz , but i love u anyway :) , so long as they dont make it so all the Text is in any other language other than English (for if u on excal/pyd anyway) then i dont see the problem as its better overal. If they were to (and Req said theyre not) then u can kiss goodbye to more subs than u prolly saved with a recluster. Will see what happens but if it makes RvR a bit more livelier and makes it easier for people to grp than yayz go GoA , cant happen soon enuf :)

Nate

FH is my second home
So excal/pryd will never be clustered with any other server? ;/ this is very dissapointing. We will go down the same route the Spanish and Italian servers are going :( a really really long death.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Only issue I can see with clustering the other zones will be on Dragon Raids, as they'll now only be able to do one dragon.

Darzil

IainC

Nate said:
So excal/pryd will never be clustered with any other server? ;/ this is very dissapointing. We will go down the same route the Spanish and Italian servers are going :( a really really long death.
We're not saying it's never going to be clustered just that there are no plans to do so at the moment. We are keeping a close eye on the populations and we are looking into the options that will be available to us if the server stops being viable. One of those options may be to cluster with another cluster but we're some way from that and Mythic are making more solutions possible all the time.

Nate

FH is my second home
Requiel said:
We're not saying it's never going to be clustered just that there are no plans to do so at the moment. We are keeping a close eye on the populations and we are looking into the options that will be available to us if the server stops being viable. One of those options may be to cluster with another cluster but we're some way from that and Mythic are making more solutions possible all the time.
This "viable" word here, does it mean 30 players primetime? Does it mean there's so few people online that you can't pay for the hardware rental anymore? Going by history it does, as with Glastonbury it was done that way. This is very much too late for any community that may still be here now. I really hope those solutions that Mythic are coming up with get some results, and fast.

Karmatika

One of Freddy's beloved
well they have to do something as cluster is dying from underneath us. Most ppl quitting / rerolling, hope they dont wait to long ( beyond repair ) for any change / fix.

i, for one, dont mind any other base language dont mind a change is monthly fee. Just want to play Daoc the way its meant to be. Many foe's to go around action the way its suppodsed to be.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Why you guys even care anyway is beyond me, you are all off to WH anyway to let the game die (if indeed it does).

Set all server client language to German ftw and cluster all servers :p

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It would be nice if the locale changed according to what server your character is on within a cluster, or which client you connect with.

The combined population of the English/Spanish/Italian servers as a single cluster would bring some more action back to the game. The potential for more clustering when the population declines even further is quite important.

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
Requiel said:
Yeah cause Dragon raids or SI epic dungeon raids ( 1 for a big raid, 1 for farmers) don't count.
You should cluster Toa as well with this reasoning. Most encounters are only done nowadays to farm stuff.
If you can't farm stuff as well as you used to in Classic, Si or Cata, why should be able to do so in Toa? It frees up even more server parts you don't have to lease for DaoC

Danita

IainC

Reno said:
Yeah cause Dragon raids or SI epic dungeon raids ( 1 for a big raid, 1 for farmers) don't count.
You should cluster Toa as well with this reasoning. Most encounters are only done nowadays to farm stuff.
If you can't farm stuff as well as you used to in Classic, Si or Cata, why should be able to do so in Toa? It frees up even more server parts you don't have to lease for DaoC

Danita
Are there that many people queuing up to raid Sidi/Galladoria/TG? ToA has multiple encounters that people want to be able to complete so having two instances of it makes it easier for people to find an encounter up. Classic has one popular raid encounter (the dragon) and SI has none outside of dungeons. The best Catacombs farm spot (Darkspire) is instanced and the other popular encounters in all of those worlds aren't exactly over farmed. Dragon raiders will only be able to do one dragon now which will make stones more valuable but there is still more than enough content to go around even with only one instance of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom