To add or not to add

Effendor

Fledgling Freddie
I'm sure there has probably been 100 posts on this subject. I've run in lots of groups, random and guest in guild groups. I've run solo unbuffed a lot of the time, especially in old frontiers. Some groups would wave, when grouped and fighting some enemies would turn around and leave us to it. The vast majority of the time They would gank/add. Quite frankly I do the same. "Add and be added upon" a bard friend of mine Ortunga once said. These are realm wars, I recon you should just /rude people that whine about you adding, or /rofl. looking around at the start of a fight to make sure you're not adding has wound up in a group wipe on several occasions. After all the enemies fighting you're not adding on don't know you're not adding. There mates they may have just called for help won't know you're not adding either. Hassle Mythic to introduce a kind of fg vs fg instance if you don't want a realm war.

Dorimor1

Banned
By all means add but don't forget that there will be consequences, like having your reputation damaged (if you do it too much, even though this really shouldn't happen imo) FGs may roll you if you add on their fights.

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
Dorimor1 said:
By all means add but don't forget that there will be consequences, like having your reputation damaged (if you do it too much, even though this really shouldn't happen imo) FGs may roll you if you add on their fights.

HA! Effe aint got nuffin but wub! he dun need mids/albs to think pleasant joy-joy feeling about him :D :wub:mad: Effe

/Dracus

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
you should just do what you want really :p but if you show respect to people in other realms, they will show it back. rvr is much more pleasant knowing that at least 50% + of the people that catch me fighting will let me finish and often just let me go

add on everything and everything will probably add on you, you choice what you prefer really. people shouldn't have to take shit for playing a certain way atleast, but well, getting killed or having a fight spoilt usually results in frustration and many people need to let it out at something or someone

at the end of the day i doubt people will hold serious grudges towards anyone because of daoc, frustration is only temporary :)

(i turned into such a carebear) :mad:

Kinag

Part of the furniture
Vodkafairy said:
at the end of the day i doubt people will hold serious grudges towards anyone because of daoc, frustration is only temporary :)

I wish, The Ironwind from excalibur still has a grudge towards us for something we did a few months back :p

Not like I care much though, but it's a bit funny ^^

And I don't think Severance likes us very much, though I'm not 100% sure about that anymore as some of them are starting to become very friendly and post nice things :p

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
FG kills solo'er, Solo'er adds on FG, FG whines.
Solo'er adds on FG, FG kills solo'er, Solo'er whines.

Been there done that, bought the T-shirt and sold it again.

Jai13

Fledgling Freddie
tbh this is a very old debate and my opinion is:
In WWII when a german and an english man were in a long range gun fight (imagine 2 casters) would the german care if another german started shooting the english guy (another caster). No. then would the german mind if a Tank shot at him (FG). No
i know DAOC is only a game but its the same kinda thing. if you want set grp fights ie 8v8 or 4v4 or even 1v1 play guild wars this is RvR not FGvFG
sorry if i sound negative in anyway btw

pjuppe

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
you should just do what you want really :p but if you show respect to people in other realms, they will show it back. rvr is much more pleasant knowing that at least 50% + of the people that catch me fighting will let me finish and often just let me go

add on everything and everything will probably add on you, you choice what you prefer really. people shouldn't have to take shit for playing a certain way atleast, but well, getting killed or having a fight spoilt usually results in frustration and many people need to let it out at something or someone

sums it up quite nicely :)

pip

Banned
rvr is like growing up in someway lower rr more naughty you tend to be as you need to get strong:)
higher rr you tend to respec others as you dont have to struggle as much for them beautiful Rpeeess
But saying that some of you will prob say you have allways respec others
I quess you allways find some1 to that will say b/s:m00:

Punj

Fledgling Freddie
Jai13 said:
In WWII when a german and an english man were in a long range gun fight (imagine 2 casters) would the german care if another german started shooting the english guy (another caster). No. then would the german mind if a Tank shot at him (FG). No
i know DAOC is only a game but its the same kinda thing. if you want set grp fights ie 8v8 or 4v4 or even 1v1 play guild wars this is RvR not FGvFG

QFE

Hrymf

Fledgling Freddie
Jai13 said:

Actually using that strange kind of logic (comparing RL war to fantasy war with spells and dragons), then way back i sure do remember something about officers being able to challenge each other for a duel, and wars being faught on fields where you set a date and meet up to fight against each other, they even talked together before heading into this battle.

Anyway, point being, comparing realm war inside daoc to RL war is not the best choise.

As for the add part, i like fair fights against enemies, for example where 8 fight 8 and its not the numbers that win the fight, but the best players who win. Ofcourse abilities of all sorts have an impact on the fight also, but without taking warlock and BD into count, it is the skills and the teamwork that win fights in a 8v8 fight.
This goes for 1v1 fights also in a certain way, just without the teamwork, but rather reflexes, fast thinking and "skills" win the fight.

Now this is what i like, and adding on a fight which is either 8v8, 3v3, 1v1 or the like, is ruining the fight and in some cases are screewing over both parts (3way fight adding)

Now obviously not all like this kind of play, but i know for sure quite a large amount of players do like this, and have been liking this for years. Now i do respect people playing as they like in a game, but like i stated in a thread not that far back, daoc have a certain cummunity to it, and there is several of different "groups" of players in this cummunity, and just like in RL, you can get outsided or the like from these groups or you can get accepted and be part of a group. Now to be in or out is a matter of how you act inside the game, some will think its cool you add and zerg and will maybe spend time with you ingame and such, others will be very hostile towards your actions and will let you know they dont respect any such actions. Some might not care at all and will just stay neutral, either way, what ever actions you choose, you cant help acting against some players ingame attitude and "rules".
Point in this is, even though you sit behind a monitor and play a game for fun, this game have so much deept that you cant help being remembered for bad or good things and you will see relfections on your actions, either good or bad.

If you dont add, some people wont add on you and if you zerg, some people may zerg you, its really up to your self how you play. What i really would like though, was if we try make room for us all, and i know most of us "fg fighers" try to get agramon, but certain nights there is simple not enough groups out to be able to keep action up in agramon, so then we head near the irvr for example, most often we try stay clear of the actually zerg fights, by hanging around in the corners waiting for a fg to come by for a fight. What then upset us "fg fighters" is when something like 50 enemies are on stick roaming as if they are intending to try zerg us "fg fighters" by purpose and its rather frustrating that people go gather groups of 5 times your number, just to hunt you down.

I would for one like if agramon was always full of action, but its not often there is enough groups out, specialy lately there have been some nights with 50-80 hibs in agramon, and only 24-32 enemies.

I will keep thinking like i do, and i will yell adder if i think someone is adding, and i will yell zerger if i think someone is zerging, now if you are really an adder or zerger it should not be taken as an insult, but you should simple accept it that way, adding and zerging is not swearing words or words that means retard or stupid, its simple a discribtion of your playstyle, just like some people calling others "elite".

So,play like you will, but keep this in mind: act towards others like you want them to act towards you.

toxii

Can't get enough of FH
Hrymf said:
Actually using that strange kind of logic (comparing RL war to fantasy war with spells and dragons), then way back i sure do remember something about officers being able to challenge each other for a duel, and wars being faught on fields where you set a date and meet up to fight against each other, they even talked together before heading into this battle.

Anyway, point being, comparing realm war inside daoc to RL war is not the best choise.

As for the add part, i like fair fights against enemies, for example where 8 fight 8 and its not the numbers that win the fight, but the best players who win. Ofcourse abilities of all sorts have an impact on the fight also, but without taking warlock and BD into count, it is the skills and the teamwork that win fights in a 8v8 fight.
This goes for 1v1 fights also in a certain way, just without the teamwork, but rather reflexes, fast thinking and "skills" win the fight.

Now this is what i like, and adding on a fight which is either 8v8, 3v3, 1v1 or the like, is ruining the fight and in some cases are screewing over both parts (3way fight adding)

Now obviously not all like this kind of play, but i know for sure quite a large amount of players do like this, and have been liking this for years. Now i do respect people playing as they like in a game, but like i stated in a thread not that far back, daoc have a certain cummunity to it, and there is several of different "groups" of players in this cummunity, and just like in RL, you can get outsided or the like from these groups or you can get accepted and be part of a group. Now to be in or out is a matter of how you act inside the game, some will think its cool you add and zerg and will maybe spend time with you ingame and such, others will be very hostile towards your actions and will let you know they dont respect any such actions. Some might not care at all and will just stay neutral, either way, what ever actions you choose, you cant help acting against some players ingame attitude and "rules".
Point in this is, even though you sit behind a monitor and play a game for fun, this game have so much deept that you cant help being remembered for bad or good things and you will see relfections on your actions, either good or bad.

If you dont add, some people wont add on you and if you zerg, some people may zerg you, its really up to your self how you play. What i really would like though, was if we try make room for us all, and i know most of us "fg fighers" try to get agramon, but certain nights there is simple not enough groups out to be able to keep action up in agramon, so then we head near the irvr for example, most often we try stay clear of the actually zerg fights, by hanging around in the corners waiting for a fg to come by for a fight. What then upset us "fg fighters" is when something like 50 enemies are on stick roaming as if they are intending to try zerg us "fg fighters" by purpose and its rather frustrating that people go gather groups of 5 times your number, just to hunt you down.

I would for one like if agramon was always full of action, but its not often there is enough groups out, specialy lately there have been some nights with 50-80 hibs in agramon, and only 24-32 enemies.

I will keep thinking like i do, and i will yell adder if i think someone is adding, and i will yell zerger if i think someone is zerging, now if you are really an adder or zerger it should not be taken as an insult, but you should simple accept it that way, adding and zerging is not swearing words or words that means retard or stupid, its simple a discribtion of your playstyle, just like some people calling others "elite".

So,play like you will, but keep this in mind: act towards others like you want them to act towards you.
hats of to your post, however :

do you get replies of the "/y FOAD" or "/y FUCK OFF" type when you whine to people about adding?
or also ironic style of replies like "ooops we didnt see you" , or then again someone playing in a pug and claiming he cant control the pug altho the damn grp is almost over rr8+, thats a live example of what was happening permanently last night with a certain grp, even announced on irc "that we will be in that zone, and we cant help not adding cos we are pug" :D
still , we get those kinds of replies from a lot of people, yet we are called zergers when we take tower ,with 36hibs inside, with 3 other alb groups right outside of bolg xd

toxii zerger © by madition :D

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
i never add, makes no differerance to full groups, most are still so desperate for RPs they blow timers to add/zerg regardless. best thing to do is just play the way you like, if you get the chance to ruin adders/zergers fights then do so, being a solo heavy tank i dont really get the chance to though.

Thlauni

Fledgling Freddie
I do add, but hey I am an archer, thats what we are all about. Is beautifull when someone has a 1 vs 1 or many vs many and I can stand off and pinchusion them all with arrows. Now I even got an AOE on my CL bow, so I can hit even more ;-)

I also expect to be added on, and no harm done, even though I like last night look like fireworks when a fg albs blow me up. Ironically that was at my only 1vs1 that night, in a fair fight that could have gone both ways, though I most likely would have lost ;-).

Only thing that makes me feel like :twak: is when Hibs dont assisst me, but stands watching me getting spanked by an enemy assissin. I understand their point of view, I just don't agree. It is realm vs. realm, and that means it is all about working together, also if ur not in a group with them.

Which reminds me thanks to the nice healer that threw a heal or 5 at me when I ran into lock dots and some arrow fire. Not to mention the time when I ran away from two bolters, only to get hit by random fire, finally in safety at catapults at Crau, only to see a stealther belining tomwards me, using my nice RR5 desp. bowman to run away from him, only for someone to shoot at me with bow again, before I limp into the main keep.

See thats adding, and teamwork, and what it should all be about. Was fun as hell as well.

Tafaya Anathas

Fledgling Freddie
My daily routine were:

1. Go to RvR with the intention of not adding
2. Got added/ganked etc.
3. Add

The "if you don't add we don't add" is so last year now, even the greatest add whiners adding

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Thlauni said:

well i disagree, if i see a realm mate fighting and obviously losing i still wont step in and help, unless he is getting zerged ofc. just because someone is in another realm it doesnt make them my enemy, they are the same as me, looking for 1v1 fights. if someone is getting spanked left right and centre they should rethink thier tactics, RAs and SC, if they are low RR then thats just tough i am afraid, we have all been there.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
Once I saw this post.... and it was about trying to justify adding xD

Thlauni

Fledgling Freddie
Raven said:
well i disagree, if i see a realm mate fighting and obviously losing i still wont step in and help, unless he is getting zerged ofc. just because someone is in another realm it doesnt make them my enemy, they are the same as me, looking for 1v1 fights. if someone is getting spanked left right and centre they should rethink thier tactics, RAs and SC, if they are low RR then thats just tough i am afraid, we have all been there.

Well it is all down to playtype. I purposely make a bow ranger, thus weaker in melee, so I know I will get my ass handed to me. No whining, and a shame people take it like that, so lets give another example.

In these iRvR days. When I see anyone of ours running away from a hit on enemies, mostly stealthers, but a lot of mages to the run forward, shoot, run back routine as well. If I am able I always try and draw an arrow to provide covering fire for them as it is often at this point enemy archers etc. starts retaliating and even if I dont kill I often interrupt and the ally leaves unscathed.

Perhaps another clarification: Types of situations differes. If I go to a bridge, with no major battles around I would be more inclined to expect the don't add mentality. If I go to say Crau bridge the last couple of days, and a hibb don't add to help out another hib then I for think they are the ones in error, as it is a realm vs. realm type fight.

But hey, the beautiful part of this game is that we all can play as we want isnt it.

Now better get some work done.

Bracken

Fledgling Freddie
I'll usually leave 1v1s alone, unless someone asks for help. For no other reason than the chances are that at some point over the last 4 years I will have levelled/ml'd/arti'd with them (i.e. was glad to accept their help) - so to turn round and say "yeah I know we've probably played together before but it's your own fault you're losing" would be a ***** trick. Seeing as I needed "help" to get through the pve side I'm not going to turn my nose up at someone asking for help in rvr.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
well imo if a fg is outside Agramon they have no right to whine about adds, its been pretty much established that Agramon is where you go if you want to have 8 v 8 action. And there is almost always a fg or two running in there most the time.
So if you are solo in Agramon imo there is only 2 reasons you are there:
1) you are there to add
2) you are there to try solo said fg's
Ofc these are just my opinions but i have yet to see someone give me a reason other than the 2 above if they are being honest.
Either way you are going to be steamrolled, same way a fg loses their right to whine outside agramon about adds, you have no right to whine about being steamrolled there when you were well aware of the situation before you walked through the milegate.

iRVR is a zergfest that's all, if thats your thing you know you can port there and you can have your fun, once again.. you know whats there if you dont like it dont go. If you manage to get a few fg fights "gratz" but at the end of the day you are only there to farm randoms, if you wanted true fg fights you would be in agramon.

Solo, heres a tricky one. IMO if you wanted solo fights once again you wouldnt go iRVR, you would be at Bled/bridges/whatever but its easy enough to choose a zone and go fight there with like minded individuals.
I can probably name 4 people off the top of my head who are always willing to meet bled for fight, easily arranged on IRC to choose a zone for solo rvr

Then theres the small percentage who get kick's out of ruining other people's gaming experience, everyone knows who they are. They will always exist, so there is no use griefing other people because of them, doing so makes you just as bad as they are.

Edit: Bracken, your entitled to your opinion but may i remind you the pixels you are "helping" gank are in fact shock horror another person irl. I personally wont add even if it means my realm mate is going to die as a stealther. They chose to roll the class, they chose to solo, so they chose to embark on 1v1's and i have no respect for people who will pop someone then run off to their nearest realm mate screaming "help me". However that is not the same as someone asking for help because they are outnumbered, if i can i will help.
If you didnt want to solo, don't run around solo

Athalas

Fledgling Freddie
Andrilyn said:
FG kills solo'er, Solo'er adds on FG, FG whines.
Solo'er adds on FG, FG kills solo'er, Solo'er whines.

Been there done that, bought the T-shirt and sold it again.

And round and round we go.... :(

Athalas

Fledgling Freddie
Hrymf said:

Good post IMO - rep added!

Marc

FH is my second home
ohGod.jpg

Athalas

Fledgling Freddie
Thlauni said:
Only thing that makes me feel like :twak: is when Hibs dont assisst me, but stands watching me getting spanked by an enemy assissin. I understand their point of view, I just don't agree. It is realm vs. realm, and that means it is all about working together, also if ur not in a group with them.

Trouble is the mind set from them is "if I help out (add)" I'll get either whined at for ruining a fair fight from either party via IRC or /send OR get thanked by the hib and get whined at by the other lot.

Either way - your screwed. Damned if you do - damned if you dont :(.

Personally, my view is kill the enemy - don't matter how or who does it!!! I mainly play solo - and yeah I have added but tend to be a little more mindfull these days of people's feelings about it. If I get to do it solo then good for me - if I don't then np's, release and try again.

I guess I believe in the greater good and team work. I much prefer solo fights but not much chance of that untill IRVR is done and it's past midnight.

I do get fed up with getting whiped by FG's or even small groups but there is still no game to compare to DAoC and I whine about it but still come back for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom