Confused Thunder Mod

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I use a torrent program called Thunder Mod to get round BT's throttling. It goes through port 80 so it works like a charm. However, a friend of mine is at Uni and it doesn't wok there. I'm pretty good with computers but it's more the hardware side of it.

So, any idea how they made the firewall recognize port 80 traffic as p2p and any idea how to get around it?

Cheers.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I assume the software downloads the files to their servers then passes it down to you over port 80. If so any decent web monitoring software will probably blacklist the IP of the download server.

Access Denied

Not as far as I'm aware. My understanding is that is uses a fake http header to allow torrents over port 80.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Not as far as I'm aware. My understanding is that is uses a fake http header to allow torrents over port 80.
Fair enough. I really do not know then unless the HTTP headers added are different some way?

Access Denied

Could it be a packet analyser?

You could be right. Seems to me that unless some Computer Science grad at the Uni figured out another way of picking it up that's the only way. Assuming that is the case, would the use of forced encryption on Utorrent get around that? She wants to be able to download TV shows but any activity like that will cause her to lose her network access if it's detected.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
She would be wise not to do so, it is stupid to risk your place at Uni for TV. I would imagine the Uni are unlikely to see any legitimate reason for large amounts of encrypted traffic so probably filter / block that as well.

In the alternative if she "absolutely must" then get a 3G dongle, pull out the Uni network and use that.

Access Denied

I fear you may be right G. I'll talk to her, she can stream shows but you know the picture quality on most streams is crap. Looks like she'll just have to continue buying me DVD's to put her shows on, lol.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I fear you may be right G. I'll talk to her, she can stream shows but you know the picture quality on most streams is crap. Looks like she'll just have to continue buying me DVD's to put her shows on, lol.
Well if she was smart she'd get a 16 or 32GB usb but I'm not going to tell her that.

PS: Is she fit, if so, offer to let her watch the shows at your place.... ???? profit?

Access Denied

Haha you pervs! She's a raging Lesbian so you're both out of luck!

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Haha you pervs! She's a raging Lesbian so you're both out of luck!
Well actually that means you're out of luck. Settling for free DVD's in that scenario is probably not a bad second place, but I'd have invited her and her mate over tbfh.

Access Denied

Meh, not entirely out of luck, I had her a couple of years before she decided she was a Lesbian. NOt exactly round the corner, she's in Wales and I'm the other side of the country.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
One for the quotes database methinks...

Munkey

Can't get enough of FH
Has she checked if there is a local file network at Uni? We had one hosted by someone, somewhere, on campus and everyone logged on to share files, with most of them being updated after the weekend once everyone had gone home and come back with new downloads.

Worth a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom