Throd's thread got me thinking about a new screen...

Yaka

Part of the furniture
id go fiorr the benq that dell one has a few issues.

most of dells current line have probs, took delivery of 3 2408s today, sending em back as compared to me old dell 2405s there is major input lag. seem to be way behind my 2405

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't want a 24" :)

Jonty, as much as it takes; i'm a bit of a believer in you get what you pay for (Within reason obviously).

ballpark would be "a few hundred"

I think I read somewhere that you need a 24" widescreen to replace a 19" 4:3 monitor, otherwise your vertical work area is actually smaller... <edit> yup, bit of trig bears that out...

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
That sounds right.

I've got a 17" - a 19" or 24" wouldn't fit under my shelf that I need the screen for.

Edit: therefore a 22" keeps the same height, just extends it to the right (ideal).

Tilda

I recently bought the OCUK own brand 24" monitor and am loving it.
For the same price as a brand name 22 inch I got a damn uber monitor, not a single dead pixel, huge screen size its awesome and I highly recommend it.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Big G

I agree; you get what you pay for :)

Yaka's concerns aside, I think Dell generally have a good reputation for their LCDs. That's not to say they're perfect, as Yaka's case shows, but usually they're very good specs, for a good price, and it's okay to replace any panel you're not happy with. Despite the cost, I would personally go for a 24" model because you get a higher resolution (1920x1200 vs. 1680x1050).

Anyway, the Dell panels prefixed with an 'E' are a budget range, so the specifications and image quality are okay but not stellar. The panels without a suffix (e.g. 2208WFP) are their premium range; so you get more inputs and a better quality picture. Personally I would pay the extra, but it depends what you're going to be using it for. Dell also do an 'S' prefix range which sits in between the two. The panel is closer to (or maybe even the same as) the budget range, but you get a built-in webcam.

If you want to save some money, you could go with an OEM panel like Tilda's OcUK one. Ordinarily I would advise against this (because the quality may not be as good, and the service and returns may be more trouble). However, I recently bought a Taiwanese-brand HDTV and it uses the same 10-bit panel as the well-known brands, but it cost a fraction of the price. This has changed my attitude somewhat, so maybe it's worth shopping around :)

Kind regards

Jonty

P.S. If you want to save some money, I have an ASUS MW221U 22" LCD monitor. It has good specifications and a nice design, and no dead pixels that I've noticed. If you don't mind waiting a week or so, it's yours for £95 posted.

Some caveats: the built-in speaker is quite weak, as is often the case with these things, so I wouldn't rely on it in preference to proper speakers. It has a 'piano black' (glossy) strip around the edge, and this has some marks on it (you wouldn't notice, but if you catch it in the right light then you can see the imperfections). Finally, the cable tie around the back is a little loose.

Anyway, it's a great monitor, so if you want to save your money then just let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom