Thread to discuss Archery improvements!

censi

Can't get enough of FH
Ok, So we all know there is a problem with the archery system. I list what I feel are the main problem.

a) Miss rates.
b) Interupt system (and sure shots lack of effectiveness)
c) Inherant archery class defenses
d) Crit shot system is pretty poor when its should be the archers main foil.
e) Volley, quite possibly the most pathetic ability in the game.

----------------------

What I would NOT like to see is mythic addressing the issue my significantly increasing archery dps and defense pentration. I feel archers would become too much of an overpowered pest if they could consistently rip through HP from range. (and even more annoying in siege)

Generally speaking I think archery needs help versus face to face scenario with casters, where I honestly feel it can be suicide to even try and take a mage down this way. I think they need to also look at shield and block rates.

Some suggestions:

a) Remove crit shot as we know it. In the bow line there should be 4 Special Bow opening styles (20 30 40 50). These bow styles can only be done from stealth so they are opening attacks. At 20 give a Stun shot opener with reduced damage (half or summin) and short stun (3 seconds maybe). At 30 give a snare shot opener with a 4 second 35% snare (damage reduced by 25%). At 40 give Power shot (crit shot) make the draw time on this large (like 9 secs+) and when you draw you destealth (this is the compramise, this power shot you are really focusing all your attention on, standing unstealthed for this long aint gonna be pretty) but for this when you fire the crit it penetrates all forms of defense (shield, BT, PBT, evade anything), the hit bonus should be extremely high so that missing a crit is rare thing, and it isnt effected by your target moving or whatever. I think a crit system where you literally have your arse out in the wind for 10 seconds but if you manage to do this your shot is gonna "hurt" your target is a good thing. The 50 Bow opening style should be something very nice and something that really tempts people to go this high. I would perhaps suggest putting "sure shot" here but reworking sure shot so that simply it doesnt get a damage reduction penalty. IE if you have 50 bow you get auto matic sure shot. This would be very nice versus casters. I still personally wouldnt spec 50 bow to get it, but those that do I think would get some use out of this versus casters. (extreme use it would be good)

b) Volley. The dps on this is a tab comical. Raise it and increase the range. I reckon you would need about 10 archery volleying the same GT before they even noticed anything :)

c) interupts. The higher your bow spec the quicker you recover from an interupt. If you got bugger all bow then it should take like a loonnng time to recover (4-5 secs) If you got 50 bow then it should take you a tiny negliable amount of time to recover, almost to the point where you could whip a shot in between swing V a slow 2hand user (even though it wouldnt be practical).

d) Introduce a bow style that chains off of Ice storm or diamond back (or hunter rear stun, or slam) so that a hybrid can actually like stun, whip out the bow and fire off this style and then go back to the melee. (legolas style in LOTR). Make this style do decent damage because it will be reasonable hard to pull this off, put a bleed on it or summin.

e) positional bow shots. IE if a target is running you get a "back buster" style that could do something usefull (slow them down). Chest buster front arc shot for small damage increase. dunno.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok thats prolly enough :) or we will all be little john rambos. please quit with nerf melee rangers! this is really about solving the melee ranger "problem" give rangers a reason to spec bow and all those fotm blade rangers with like 50 cd and 13bow will be gone and you will have proper hybrids and full snipers, who feel they can no longer neglect archer in their spec template and playstyle.

just thought it would be a decent discussion, what would you like to see happen?

Himse

FH is my second home
please shut up :|

i get hit by rangers bows for 300 on bloody rapid fire ffs :|

and they are rr3.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
I agree, the Bow line need a good Boost, still only if you spec it high tbh, it should improve greatly if you specced between 45-50 haveing to lower melee so much then that it's more or less useless.

Bow shouldent be improved at lower levels, because if it gets better at lower levels + you can have great melee, then it will get OPed.

Diff should only show between 45-50 imo.

And the yadayada Archers being OPed neways if many is just silly because that goes for many classes, ofcourse the damage will be silly if you have 10 mages nukeing at you, or whatever.

it's the ranger as a solo class we are looking at, and the Bowline needs improvements tbh, as right now you loose out rather much speccing high Bow.

If needed nerf melee damage some and improve bow instead, because atm it's more like a light tank then an Archer more or less everyone speccing high melee, Improvements to the Archer line is needed so people think it's worth speccing in it again.

Eyres

Banned
shut up himse, k

some pretty good suggestions there, yeh critshot is pretty buggered but atm you still see rangers and scouts that can do crazy critshots regularly on people for 900+ damage and even on things other than cloth, where as hunters..... well lets say bow is a waste of timer on hunters for the most part...... have been waiting to see what is going to be changed patch wise for a long time but there seems to be the biggest delay on releasing this so called archer and bolt caster love patch, but lets hope its worth it..... and that bolt casters dont get much love because lets face it... fire wizzies have all the love i can handle at the moment before going postal

censi

Can't get enough of FH
i get hit by rangers bows for 300 on bloody rapid fire ffs

wanna talk about what mages nuke for on "non rapid nuke" thats more "rapid" than "rapid fire".

300 damage from rapid fire (could be a crit?, could be you are wearing cloth too? could be someone with 50 bow using slow bow)

nerf 300 damage!

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
Some archer improvements/changes:

1) Remove PD. Having PD on a melee class is just stupid.
2) Remove IP. Assassins lost this, and so should archers.
3) Make bow styles that works in-melee (legolas style) at 30+ bow spec. This to make the bow the prefered melee and range tool. This should be done so it doesn't increase ranged DPS.
4) Add bow styles at 40+ bow spec that have ranged utility. Ie... by pass brittles, etc.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Azathrim said:
Some archer improvements:

3) Make bow styles that works in-melee (legolas style) at 30+ bow spec. This to make the bow the prefered melee and range tool. This should be done so it doesn't increase ranged DPS.
4) Add bow styles at 40+ bow spec that have ranged utility. Ie... by pass brittles, etc.

You should have written changes, because removeing something isent called improvement mate =P

Still being able to use bow in melee would be cool ;D if it's viable or not I dunno ;D

Himse

FH is my second home
censi said:
wanna talk about what mages nuke for on "non rapid nuke" thats more "rapid" than "rapid fire".

300 damage from rapid fire (could be a crit?, could be you are wearing cloth too? could be someone with 50 bow using slow bow)

nerf 300 damage!

300 dmg, being shot every half a sec or below, adds up.

+ you have much more range, shooting against cloth from some tower.

imo bow is fine. improve ranger melee tbh

Vladamir

FH is my second home
Some archer improvements;

Remove them.

Enough said, leeching c***s :(

censi

Can't get enough of FH

unfortunetly all this demonstrates is a complete lack of understanding of the class and the problem.

if you take away IP and PD from archers, you could give them like rocket lauchers or sniper rifles, but it wont matter because no one would be playing the class.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
..tell me whats wrong with archers except.. they can fucking hit you from a range were u can barely see em.

When im on a tower, they can hit me from the keep structures. and hit for for allot.
Some scouts hit me for 400-500.. and i got max resists.

The longer the range they shooting from, the lesser dmg it should do.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Eyres said:
shut up himse, k

some pretty good suggestions there, yeh critshot is pretty buggered but atm you still see rangers and scouts that can do crazy critshots regularly on people for 900+ damage and even on things other than cloth

If you spec full bow I don't think 900+ damage is to much on a critshot tbh, atm critshot aint used that much either.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
..tell me whats wrong with archers except.. they can fucking hit you from a range were u can barely see em.

When im on a tower, they can hit me from the keep structures. and hit for for allot.
Some scouts hit me for 400-500.. and i got max resists.

The longer the range they shooting from, the lesser dmg it should do.

Then so should mages tbh, if ur full Bow you stink meleewise, the damage is more then fair tbh.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
the general vibe i get from archers is they want to hit like casters, from more range, faster, and be able to stealth and pick their fights, oh and in the case of scouts slam hunters FZ ranger CD etc, been a pain in the arse even in melee

what they need is a kick in the teeth:p

i know they have lots of inherent problems, but they fall in the same catagory as the old 1-shot PA not unstealthing.. its buggy but its balancing, if they fix the mix rate, the crit shot rate, etc it will be laughable for a class that suffers from 7 on /stick , all /asissting

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
censi said:
if you take away IP and PD from archers, you could give them like rocket lauchers or sniper rifles, but it wont matter because no one would be playing the class.

That line of suggestions would be a:

1) A great improvement to scout melee (being able to use bow).
2) A great improvement to hunter archery (better use of bows).
3) A nerf to ranger melee and improvement to ranger archery.

I wonder why the melee ranger thinks it's a lack of understanding of the class.

Hey, they could just nerf ranger melee and leave the rest in the gutter. Suits me fine. :)

censi

Can't get enough of FH
being shot every half a sec or below, adds up.

Chief inspector Clouseau :)

honestly you are of clueless

Slick50

Fledgling Freddie
I dont agree.

I see small dots in the horizon up on keep walls and scouts hit me for 1000 dmg then 300 or so with rapid shot.
And when i play my SB they see me in stealth w mos3-4 and pop me and gang bang me.

I think that scouts, rangers and hunters are as balanced as they have ever been at the moment.
Some mid-mid/high realmrank rangers easily out melee me on the SB.
Scouts in particular are past balanced with SLAM, zephyr and all the nifty toys at their disposal.
And melee rangers are just plain silly. With IP and zephyr, and sick dmg.

i think a good start is nerfing melee part of the rangers in particular to force them back into the archery line. Rather then OPing the dmg even more.
What need fixing though is the myriad of bugs lowering the archers effectivness. like line of sight issues.

And about misses how much dont i miss w melee on my SB? and when you can stand at a range and safely lob arrows you should have some drawbacks. Especially considering the armour you can wear and the damage you do with your bows.

Tuorin

Fledgling Freddie
Let's see lets stick on a bridge and draw ourbows mates for 9 seconds and lets bypass every defence in the game and hit for 800-1200 or so... Assist noob1 - dead, assist noob2 -dead. Mate im not assisting on noob3 I've just killed noob4 solo.

How good is that say vs a valewalker or warden, pally, hero, warrior, bm, merc blah blah. Oh and then stuns and snares against classes that can't even get in range.

All this on a class that stealths, shoots from range and then fzs you on inc.
Stunning arrows, whatever next I'm sure the whole daoc community will appreciate the extra reams of invisible adding zerging cocks with that.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Mabs said:
the general vibe i get from archers is they want to hit like casters, from more range, faster, and be able to stealth and pick their fights, oh and in the case of scouts slam hunters FZ ranger CD etc, been a pain in the arse even in melee

i know they have lots of inherent problems, but they fall in the same catagory as the old 1-shot PA not unstealthing.. its buggy but its balancing, if they fix the mix rate, the crit shot rate, etc it will be laughable for a class that suffers from 7 on /stick , all /asissting

Well this is about makeing it worth speccing into Bowline, and atm you will loose out plenty by doing so, and about assisting, pointless comment, you will go down like sh*t with whatever assisting on you with larger amounts.

BOWLINE, this is what should be looked over to for it to be viable to spec high in it, I am Bowspecced, but I know I loose out by being so.

Im not really asking for wtfp00wn improvements, but something to make it as good of a choice speccing high bow as it is with Melee.

I do agree with Tourin somewhat, you can overdo it ofcourse =P I also think stun arrows would be OPed =P but it still need Improvements, no wtfp00wn everything improvements, but smaller ones to make it interessting to spec Bow for more people again.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
Still haveing said that I would still be specced like I am if it stays like it is or not you can still kill much neways but it aint easy, at defences etc the Archers will have an advantage neways though because of their range without this the Archer would be rather crap though.

And when I play my Eld I easily screw the archers over with NS, with a big amount Assisting it aint fun though, but as said this goes for whatever assist usually just that at defences archers get more annoying because of their range.

pip

Banned
Just let me swap my monkey over for a norse:) then I would be happy

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
And then we have shield users, attacking those as Bowspecced is just a laugh =P and silly that more or less every arrow can be blocked.

If nothing else atleast this should be changed!
Even though my main is a Hero and it's ofcourse nice to block more or less everything, it's still silly.

censi

Can't get enough of FH
this whole assisting thing guys.

Like its a bit comical. Like omg 3 assisting archers pwns all!

Nerf archery so they cant assist kills things. When the whole reason they are even up there assisting is because they cant kill targets with bow in the first place (cuz of nerfs). Lets keep nerfing so like a group of archers cant kill things too!

Like how long will a target stand versus 3 assisting mages?

>.< Pooned

Fledgling Freddie
Himse said:
please shut up :|

i get hit by rangers bows for 300 on bloody rapid fire ffs :|

and they are rr3.

aye do that censi or play ur nighshade and leech less with bow classes :p

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
>.< Pooned said:
aye do that censi or play ur nighshade and leech less with bow classes :p

what a constructive comment, you win 1:a price on pointless posts tbh ^^ together with Himse.

AngelHeal

Part of the furniture
Elrandhir said:
Then so should mages tbh, if ur full Bow you stink meleewise, the damage is more then fair tbh.

Yeh well a archer is a archer not a mage, if my nukes had that range sure. if i would hvae gotten studded armor sure.....

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Mabs said:

For the last sentence, well 7 sorcs or hell even 7 mana-mentalists on /assist hurts aswell. If you get 7 classes on you all /assisting, it's bound to hurt.

We dont want to hit like casters. We want to be somehow competative. Archer DPS is about 40% of caster-DPS. Critshot had traditionally some huge requirements (target needs to stand still, not incombat etc) because it hurted ALOT. Casters had no Bladeturn and AF-buffs, so yeah it hurt. Nowadays, its more of an annoyance. With 45+19 bow I managed to critshot a Warlock for 580, to get chambered back for over 900 damage. That is an extreme example, but its not uncommon to critshot a caster for 600, and to get nuked back by approximatly the same damage.

Elrandhir

Fledgling Freddie
AngelHeal said:
Yeh well a archer is a archer not a mage, if my nukes had that range sure. if i would hvae gotten studded armor sure.....

Whats you'r point?
I can tell you that I wouldent bet my money on the Archer if I played a mage against 1, and I wouldent bet any money on the archer either If I played a Tank against 1.

Not saying you can't win, because then I wouldent have played as long as I do with this spec, but u will need great patience and have to think carefully before you do anything.

(At defences it will be more easymode ofcourse)

But well it seems like many of those trying the bowspec is out of it rather fast ;D and I understand them.

Eyres

Banned
Azathrim said:
Some archer improvements/changes:

obviously whine from someone who cant play an SB to its potential, if your having problems with archers as an SB because of those things you really should just delete

your asking to remove the things that make archers even slightly viable to melee spec.... against the tools that assassins have...... i seriously cant belive the utter stupidity of that comment.... i could try and explain it to you but it would be like hitting my head against a brick wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom