Thoughts on Classic...

Simemir

Fledgling Freddie
I think the whole reasoning behind the classic server (at least to me) is quite flawed. My personal view on it was the classic ruleset was to enable the more casual gamer to compete at the highest levels, without having to worry about buffbots and people who can play all day and put in the time for artifact and master levels.

But its not really the case. Take away these additions and the people with more time on their hands just find something else to give them the edge. Be it Darkspire items, the soon arriving Champion Levels or simply playing classes that performed above par against botted, artifact using master level charcters on the 'normal' servers as it is. I certainly think the classic servers should have also done away with the catacombs classes and maybe even the SI ones, that to me would have been classic.

I just felt i had to post, as like many people, i was really looking forward to the opening of Glastonbury. And now its here, well I just feel they have listened to a majority in trying to remove issue that unbalance the game for some gamers, and by doing so have unearthed other issues, that are not so prevalent in the TOA world, that are no less frustrating to those on the recieving end.

Thanks

inqy

One of Freddy's beloved
I'm just enjoying playing the 3rd realm (hibby yay \o/). Tried it on the pvp server and just got pissed off with the childishness of some people.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
An excellent post and one I entirely agree with Simemir - good work fella :worthy:

Classic should be just that, no SI, no Cata - Classic mainland. The only downside is xp points being rammed with people.

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
got to level 8 in acouple of hours - yes there is a lot of frenchies on the guild chat - but they are more than willing to explain to you what they mean in english.

no groups yet - nor any guilds recruiting

B

Benedictine

The only problem with classic is the name. It should be called Alternative Rules. Classic makes people think its pre SI/Cata etc which it isn't.

Loving it so far and I'm a TOA-hating returner. I feel I am representative of many of the people on Glastonbury and would not have returned to DAOC under any form of TOA - whether it was nerfed TOA or not.

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
rampant said:
got to level 8 in acouple of hours - yes there is a lot of frenchies on the guild chat - but they are more than willing to explain to you what they mean in english.

no groups yet - nor any guilds recruiting

Aye, maybe they do explain but they shouldn't be talking french in /gu anyway. They said they didn't want a classic server and now they basically seem to have one. cg or whatever fine for french, but not public chat on an english server, as this thread says:

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=181251

I don't feel I'm a Xenophobe tbh.

Infanity

Can't get enough of FH
Really enjoying it :)

Playing with mates etc, sorted group earlier.. and we have a blast!

Simemir

Fledgling Freddie
The thing is, i can entirely understand people disliking TOA, i wasnt to keen on it myself - but why do you dislike it?

Is it the time you need to put in?
or is it the advantages the people can gain over other players?

Becuase these things also exist in the 'classic' servers, just in another form and to me its not much different. At least TOA added some extra content.

And lets remind everyone that TOA with its artifacts and Master levels introduced and element of balance and the ability to compete for some classes, but for others it was a step too far. If you are honest with yourselves classic servers are not the answer to all the balance problems in DAOC, nor is TOA the cause of them all.

At the heart of it are massive class imbalances. While the new classes that come with the expansions are made as attactive as possible as an incentive to buy, the older 'classic' classes are left to rot.

And this will lead to the classic server being populated by a vast majority of these new classes (Warlocks, Banchees, Vampiirs and to an extent Bone Dancers) whicih will more than likeley perform very well against other 'classic' toons. This in turn will lead to players on Glastonbury and Salisbury crying nerf - and we all know where this leads.....

I just really think that a lot of people thought the classic servers were the answer, and i dont think they are. Instead of repairing the crack in the wall, its just being wallpapered over

Thanks

Ps. this is only my opinion

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
Again I agree Simemir, and besides, surely Darkspire has just become ToA in terms of target items?

All temps have the must-have DS items from what I've seen. I'd rather ToA for some variation rather than see the DS farming that might go on over the next few weeks. Boring. :puke:

Airmid

Fledgling Freddie
Well, I'm loving classic as a fresh take where everyone starts on a clean slate, and I'm actually enjoying levelling for the first time in 2 years.

E

Eruptix

Simemir said:
I think the whole reasoning behind the classic server (at least to me) is quite flawed. My personal view on it was the classic ruleset was to enable the more casual gamer to compete at the highest levels, without having to worry about buffbots and people who can play all day and put in the time for artifact and master levels.

But its not really the case. Take away these additions and the people with more time on their hands just find something else to give them the edge. Be it Darkspire items, the soon arriving Champion Levels or simply playing classes that performed above par against botted, artifact using master level charcters on the 'normal' servers as it is. I certainly think the classic servers should have also done away with the catacombs classes and maybe even the SI ones, that to me would have been classic.

I just felt i had to post, as like many people, i was really looking forward to the opening of Glastonbury. And now its here, well I just feel they have listened to a majority in trying to remove issue that unbalance the game for some gamers, and by doing so have unearthed other issues, that are not so prevalent in the TOA world, that are no less frustrating to those on the recieving end.

Thanks
fyi
mythic never called it a "classic server" at first,they gave it the name "alternative ruleset" which was to put away with the PoS expansion called ToA and remove BB"s from the pvp aspect.

the community base started calling it "classic" and mythic later adopted it.
mythic has stressed that since the beginning,and many ppl have blamed em for calling it 'classic' afterwards,yet it not being.

only thing they'd have to consider improving to the classic server is the drop rate of Darkspire items imo.all the rest is fine.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Realm rank also makes a huge difference, at least up to a certain point. By time time casual players reach 50 on Classic, they'll find that there are already RR5+ gank groups out there, and things are no better than TOA, but they lack most of the PvE content of a TOA server, and don't have access to MLs which sometimes give them a role in RvR.

I think the way I view it is generally ML0 RR5 > ML10 RR1, ML10 RR5 > ML0 RR10, or some such. Which ML it is makes a difference, as does which RAs, for some classes it's less relevant.

I'd probably enjoy levelling on ARS. I've enjoyed it on all servers. It's most fun at the start, as you get and learn new abilites, not just higher powered versions of old ones. /level 20 loses all that, as most characters have all their abilities by 20.

Darzil

rampant

Can't get enough of FH
i think classic will be busy till patch 1.81 goes live in europe, then a lot of ppl will return to their normal.

I'm only playing classic after gg's have broken up, or when i fancy a quick go, and i dont have the time or inclination to load up mains+bb's ;)

i'm also working away a lot atm, and one instance on my laptop works fine in full screen 1440 * 900 resolution ;)

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
most ppl, even the long term "veterans" think that on the classic servers ppl will be nicer, dont add to fights, in general think its better than toa servers. well i can tell you that, nothing will not change. evrything will be the same.. haves and have nots...

ppl who cant farm DS 6 times a day, cant farm high lvl mobs in cata for some uber drops..... same stuff like toa.

only thing that makes templateing faster is that you can buy your temp now... no need to do encounters and such, but then again. only a few ppl can really do that.

RvR WILL be the same as on regular servers.... so, soon ppl will come from theyr cloud and see the same old story again....

well thats my 10 cents

Motowntheta

Fledgling Freddie
Kaun_IA said:
RvR WILL be the same as on regular servers.... so, soon ppl will come from theyr cloud and see the same old story again....

well thats my 10 cents

Then we will the RA whines start ;) Once a difference between the casual players and 8v8 hardcore players is established in terms of RR's then the server will take a population hit. It should still have enough players to be quiet healthy but no where near what it is at the start.

Enjoy the fun at the start, they really are some of the best times :clap:

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
No, I dont think classic servers are the solution to all problems. Far from it, but I do think that the classic servers are closer to what I think daoc should be like.

Pros:
- less bullshit abilities like ml9 pets, grapple, brittle guards, etc
- less buffed players in RvR, which imo is good for many reasons
- fresh start, everyone is low realmrank, different equipment required, etc

Cons:
- splitting up the daoc community
- lack of class balance (because Mythic now has to balance two kinds of servers), one word: "vampiir". Only on the planet Mythic comes from does it make sense to leave this class in the same state on both normal and classic servers.

Splitting the daoc community by creating classic servers is a bad thing in the long run, but I have absolutely no faith in mythic when it comes to balancing all the ToA abilities, so I'll give the classic servers a try.

MaditioN

Can't get enough of FH
kiliarien said:
Again I agree Simemir, and besides, surely Darkspire has just become ToA in terms of target items?

All temps have the must-have DS items from what I've seen. I'd rather ToA for some variation rather than see the DS farming that might go on over the next few weeks. Boring. :puke:

the difference is that you can do DS with 1fg, and you can do champion shit pretty fast with a FG too, need le zerg todo all shit in toa.

Phoebee-v-

Fledgling Freddie
MaditioN said:
the difference is that you can do DS with 1fg, and you can do champion shit pretty fast with a FG too, need le zerg todo all shit in toa.

Not really. Just get the right classes for each encounter and semi decent RR and PvE equipment. Isn't that hard at all.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Airmid said:
Well, I'm loving classic as a fresh take where everyone starts on a clean slate, and I'm actually enjoying levelling for the first time in 2 years.
Levelling only lasts so long. Once you've levelled...and realise, as others have pointed out, that it's just going to be exactly the same gank groups versus "casuals" situation as before...? What then?

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Phoebee-v- said:
Not really. Just get the right classes for each encounter and semi decent RR and PvE equipment. Isn't that hard at all.
Stunned as I am to find myself agreeing with you, you're right :cheers:

1.81 makes "Classic" servers just a pointless, divisive anachronism.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
My only hope is whereas the people in the US who turned to 'classic' servers as their last chance to enjoy the game, got bored and left, we at least can see that 1.81 is coming.

Was pleased to see that 60-100 a side combat could still take place on the cluster, as it did last night, so not dead yet, even with lots trying out Glasto.

Darzil

kiliarien

Part of the furniture
MaditioN said:

In Hib here people seem to think 3/4 ani's are needed for most ToA enc's - not so. I'd rather have a go with a balanced grp as Phoebee suggests than sit for 20 mins trying to rake ani's together.

The point is, rinsing and repeating DS - is it all that fun compared to ToA? Not enough for me to start playing it.

Side Note: Roleplay ftw! DS conversation goes thus:

Toon1: Oo another mighty fine adventure of unexplored areas!
Toon2: You sure?, I'm feeling a bit of Deja vu...
Toon3: Someone's written directions on the wall
Toon2: Now I remember! There's a good restaurant on the left a bit later where we stop for pow breaks, I have a membership to it.

B

Benedictine

I think there's a fear factor in this thread from the classic server doomsayers and I fully understand it.

If I had spent months pve-ing in toa and upwards of 12 hours continuously camping artis in the hope that they 'pop', just to be able to compete in RvR.....

then I would be pretty fed up if suddenly half my server population disappeared...

Henrock

Fledgling Freddie
DS is always up, no need to camp or have luck to get an encounter, and it's an instance so you can do it over and over, the time it takes to get a full DS set is far less than a ToA set. This of course as a new server where no scrolls already exists in housing etc.

cemi0

Can't get enough of FH
Benedictine said:
I think there's a fear factor in this thread from the classic server doomsayers and I fully understand it.

If I had spent months pve-ing in toa and upwards of 12 hours continuously camping artis in the hope that they 'pop', just to be able to compete in RvR.....

then I would be pretty fed up if suddenly half my server population disappeared...

LOL?

gervaise

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
My only hope is whereas the people in the US who turned to 'classic' servers as their last chance to enjoy the game, got bored and left, we at least can see that 1.81 is coming.

Darzil

As the Friday news puts it the new servers are a great success as new servers always are (which begs the question why haven't we had one earlier).

The reality of course is that events are already starting to follow the US path. Prior to the new servers peak population was about 16k. At launch numbers rose to 18k (early days though seem to have fallen back a little already). OK so a net gain of 2k players but with close to 7k on the two new servers the other 5k have come from existing servers.

16k previous, 5k moved = average drop of about one-third. And the numbers pretty much agree Excal is down a third, Pryd about 50%.

The scenario that various people feared - US & UK - is that old servers have been decimated and will become non-viable. (US has seen clusters clustered). New servers whilst popular at first fade away as people come to realise that the problems are not all ToA. That is the scenario that people fear and the one which is being played out atm in the US (numbers there are below pre-classic levels despite DR). Will Europe follow - don't know to be honest. It is true however that Euro and US numbers have gone pretty much hand in hand for the last three years so it may well be.

brad

Fledgling Freddie
I just fear that prydwen/excalibur wont recover there numbers, people will then say okay those servers are dead and even more people will leave or be less inclined to join. Resulting in a non controlable downwards spiral that can never be put right again.

I just hope people get pissed of with classic and all come back to where they were before. Hopefully that wont be long as the amount of warlocks and vamps in rvr will probably ruin everything very quickly.

Yehhh everyone is looking forward to everyone being the same RR.

Anyone remember how long it took before the first warlock went RR6+?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom