Thought of the day: Remove Stealth from DAoC

T

Tafaya Anathas

Originally posted by Validus
how about an avaliable subscribtion page so they can cancel their accounts

How about a new brain for ya?

F

Falcon

Funniest thing about all these anti-stealther posts brought up due to stealther adds is if these l33t fotm groups gave archers a space they could just use True Sight to ensure it didn't happen, but archers don't get given groups so like, QQ that your fotm groups can't gank EVERY class there is in game.

S

soullessminion

Bugger off im leveling a scout, so leave me damn stealth alone (mainly leveling scout just to Ts those bloody stealth zergs that keep jumping my necro at MG)

sure can be a pain when your killed by stealthers, but then as said above, its no more fun being killed in 2 secs by a assist train.....

O

old.diabolus

yes remove stealth and make all ppl quit that arent in uber LEET rvr guild :/ because no sane op grp would take archer/assasin in grp :/

S

scarffs

Thought of the day : Hmm lets remove bows from the game.
It would make archers obsolete, but I dont play one, so I dont care.

Ah and lets remove pbaoe from the game, that would really make fights more fun for me.

S

Shike

Originally posted by bigchief
That would be the group they tend to run in with healers and buffs? If you have a healer/CC'er/tank awake a stealther aint gonna get you. If you run around solo as a caster you're asking for it.

nothing saves us when FG+ stealthers jumps us while fighting others.

K

Kagato.

I don't think anyone is seriously suggesting they actually remove stealth, but rather that we all agree that the game would of been better if Stealth and/or Assassin classes we're never part of the game in the first place or at least not as they are now.

Of cause the same could be said for crowd control really in RvR really.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by Twaize
talking abuot removing... remove GOA?

was gonna make some nasty comment, but really cba waisting energy

S

SilverHood

make stealth "stealth" (ie, see through), and not invisiblity :)

B

bigchief

Originally posted by Shike

Well no but neither is a tank if a fg stealthers jump him :p

The point was a single assassin/archer is not going to manage to kill a caster in a fg. Its not guaranteed if you jump when theyre 1fg vs 1fg either, an awake tank or healer can soon take the assassin, or render it useless. Quite often get some savage come for me when im half way through a shammy :( (ok a shammys not a caster but how often do u see a caster in rvr, in a grp thats not spamming pbae ;p)

B

bigchief

Originally posted by SilverHood
make stealth "stealth" (ie, see through), and not invisiblity :)

What would that achieve? Thats basically all TS does and look at the effect that can have. Same goes for PN. If all stealthers are just a blur they aint gonna be jumping anyone, remember that assassins 'uber' style is a front positional. If you could see a 'stealthed' assassin from clipping range, moving in towards you at stealthed speed what are the chaces of letting him PA? :p

O

old.job

True they have to invisible or it wouldn't really work would it.

How about casters getting an RA that gives stealthers a percentage chance of standing on a dry twig as they approach and giving themselves away.

Guess this new thingy in TOA is similair, but it would be nice to have a small passive chance.

B

bone_idle

Make stealth like it is in Planetside. When you move they are 30% visible. Problem sovled.

I mean its silly at the moment. How the hell can someone walk up to you virtually right in front of your face and you cant flipping see them :).

D

Driwen

Originally posted by bone_idle
Make stealth like it is in Planetside. When you move they are 30% visible. Problem sovled.

I mean its silly at the moment. How the hell can someone walk up to you virtually right in front of your face and you cant flipping see them :).

thing is planetside probably works on larger ranges? You cant have a succesful assassin class and have them visible. If you want stealth to be more realistic you would need to redo all the stealth classes. Well minstrell+archers would be valid classes still as they can engage people from range, where they are still hard to see. But assassins cant, they need to get up close.
I dont think mythic will change how stealth works, they have worked on the ease of spotting stealthers though in ToA. So now people have a better defence vs stealthers.

T

Tesla Monkor

Give assassins a camouflage ability in order to appear like realmmates or animals, or for all i care, bushes.

That would create a healthy dose of paranoia when you see a 'fiend' run up and suddenly PA you. ;P

A

amazingsteve

Originally posted by scarffs
Thought of the day : Hmm lets remove bows from the game.
It would make archers obsolete, but I dont play one, so I dont care.

Ah and lets remove pbaoe from the game, that would really make fights more fun for me.

remove savages and BDs please.

T

Twaize

Originally posted by Addlcove
was gonna make some nasty comment, but really cba waisting energy

I knew u would... Good old Addlcove would almost never wast a chance to whien over my posts...

Anyways wasn't that indeed postfarming u just did?

Also so would this be right?

S

scarffs

Hm its a fantasy game.
How can someone 'mesmerise' you or shoot you with magical bolts created out of thin air, let alone turn into a hamster ?

S

sirexairman

Scouts become bowmen ... They have chain instead of stealth and more hit points .. infils mmm tough one make them Radar like having a sense that a group is coming while roaming around they fell it in the air or something but stealth does ruin the game.

B

bigchief

That would work for a scout. Keep still, line up a crit, shoot etc.

Would not work for an assassin, they have to get too close to do any damage. Not like they have sniper rifles or anything ala Planetside :rolleyes:

V

Validus

Would only work if ppl didn't have names over their heads to enemy realms while stealthed.
And since u have to select ppl to attack them, it would be quite weird... ooh i'm bored@ amg, lets randomly click on areas on the screen like mad till i happen to select a stealther.
Would have problems with F8 but it would be ok if F8 would be disabled on ppl stealthed.

STILL a major nerf imo. obviously PA would be VERRRY hard to use with this system

P

PJS

Originally posted by bigchief
That would work for a scout. Keep still, line up a crit, shoot etc.

Would not work for an assassin, they have to get too close to do any damage. Not like they have sniper rifles or anything ala Planetside :rolleyes:

PS Infiltrators cant carry sniper rifles :p

P

PJS

Originally posted by Shike
except maybe a ranger with truesight?

B

bigchief

Originally posted by PJS
PS Infiltrators cant carry sniper rifles :p

Pfft i assume they have some sort of ranged weapon though :p (never played the game but given its setting ...)

V

Validus

they have tiny pistols. but they move so fast(unlike daoc stealth mode) that you cant always get them on time

btw planetside is the most balanced mmo game i know

O

old.CrazyMuppet

Originally posted by Tesla Monkor
Now, before you start to yell, consider this - it solves two problems at the same time. Assassins are gone, and the RvR game becomes a lot more fun for everyone else. (Stealthers are, by definition, lones. They serve no role on groups.)

Very poorly thought through argument you make here. What do you propose to do? Delete the assassins? Delete the work that people that spent ages leveling up their character in level and realmrank? Offer a respec? Just take away stealth and face the horror of rebalancing the game? You want to reinforce the fact that the biggest zerg wins and offer no way around that? Infils and scouts would get abilities and be reinforced in strength to counteract the stealth loss. Do you want to face an unstealthed alb army in emain twice or 3 times the current size while desperately trying to match those numbers in mid//hib?

Yes, I play a stealther from time to time. (I've since made a lot of other characters), and quite frankly, it sickens me to stand on the teleporter pad, and see half the people there are SBs and Hunters. I doubt it's any better in Albion or Hibernia.

So what you're basically saying is that you want to take away the enjoyment of half the people on your teleport pad?

This is, of course, my own opinion. You're free to disagree with me. :p

Consider youself disagreed with. ;)

S

Sichama

I never could understand what the problem some people have with stealthers is.

I mean not only it's so easy to avoid them but even if you happen to get jumped by one it is not very hard to cope with the situation considering ofcourse that you haven't taken a group dependant character out solo.

And what if it sometimes happen that you get killed by a stealther or your group gets killed by a stealth group, if you are carefull things like that should be quite rare.

Anyway, according to Duswave there are 12.645 stealthing characters on Excalibur, give me one good reason why you are more important than all these people playing them, and if there is even one, but very good reason, i will agree with you.

O

old.Morchaoron

make it so that the more stealthers are together, the worse their stealth becomes....

that should fix everything nicely wouldnt it?

B

bracken_woodman

Why not just reduce the effectiveness of stealth? If you want to play a "true" stealther...i.e. operate unseen behind enemy lines, and perhaps to take out unguarded but essentially weak targets, then make it so that you need very high stealth to remain undetected to the average enemy - and in so doing lose more offensive ability. If you want a killing machine that basically uses poisons and fast reactions to kill tougher enemy targets, then lose the ability to vanish. At the moment stealthers can basically do both, particularly if they have a buffbot.

Stealthers should be in the game, but perhaps they just need to choose whether to be more of a stealther or more out-and-out killing machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom