SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
They can do what they like once I don't have to pay for them :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
They can do what they like once I don't have to pay for them :)
You really think the tax is going away? Once a tax always a tax, the funds from your pocket will go elsewhere don't you worry.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Tax comes and goes, an enforced subscription to a service that provides very little actual content is something else.

The BBC are done :)

It wouldn't be a problem if they followed their mandate.

Endless celeb bullshit.
Zero educational output.
Heavily biased news.
Zero entertainment output

Which is fine, if that's what you are in to but unfortunately I'm not, so I don't really see why I should have to pay for it.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
Tax comes and goes, an enforced subscription to a service that provides very little actual content is something else.

The BBC are done :)

It wouldn't be a problem if they followed their mandate.

Endless celeb bullshit.
Zero educational output.
Heavily biased news.
Zero entertainment output

Which is fine, if that's what you are in to but unfortunately I'm not, so I don't really see why I should have to pay for it.

Zero educational output? They do a fair amount tbf.

Heavily bias news? I dunno about that.

Zero entertainment? They've made some of the best series/films around, sure it's not as much as the Americans produce, but it's still pretty good imo.

I'd like to see it temporarily scrapped so that we have heavily politicised news channels like they do in the US, and then everyone will be begging for it back :)

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Zero educational output? They do a fair amount tbf.

Heavily bias news? I dunno about that.

Zero entertainment? They've made some of the best series/films around, sure it's not as much as the Americans produce, but it's still pretty good imo.

I'd like to see it temporarily scrapped so that we have heavily politicised news channels like they do in the US, and then everyone will be begging for it back :)

Educational...they do some, but value for money? Nope.

Entertainment, all their best stuff is via a 3rd party production company anyway and would appear elsewhere. Actual 100% BBC output tho, not a lot.

The rest of it is absolute dross.

I give you

Definitely not satire.

When was the last time the BBC had an actually funny program? 90s maybe? Fastshow? When was the last time they had a proper 100% BBC funded drama? Never?

A lot of the documentaries are decent at times, I love the programs Mary Bird, Alice Roberts and that little Scottish guy do, they are great, I'll give you that, but they get shifted to BBC3 or some shit, then dumped on iplayer to make room for celebrity bell ringing or some shit. They are literally worse than ITV, except you have to pay them £12 a month, regardless of whether you use them.

Last edited:

Gwadien

Educational...they do some, but value for money? Nope.

Entertainment, all their best stuff is via a 3rd party production company anyway and would appear elsewhere. Actual 100% BBC output tho, not a lot.

The rest of it is absolute dross.

I give you

Definitely not satire.

What's your point? It's a form of basic English that lots of people around the world can access.

I like the BBC and its share of the UK TV audience because after watching that CNN coverage its clear the BBC isn't really sensationalist and bias as everyone makes out.

Imagine if the Daily Mail was beamed into people's houses, we'd have people storming the Houses of Parliament right now.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit, I pay the following

Sky £40 for sky, plus whatever for sports and movies
Netflix £10 (lets call it, don't remember)
Amazon £10 (lets call it, don't remember)
Disney £6 (but binning it once I have finished the Mandalorian, useless service)

Why would I pay the BBC for stuff I don't want out of choice?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
What's your point? It's a form of basic English that lots of people around the world can access.

I like the BBC and its share of the UK TV audience because after watching that CNN coverage its clear the BBC isn't really sensationalist and bias as everyone makes out.

Imagine if the Daily Mail was beamed into people's houses, we'd have people storming the Houses of Parliament right now.

I get your point, really I do, but the BBC aren't neutral, at all, and you cannot compare American mentalism (and I will include the Daily Fail in that) with UK news output.

They absolutely should be neutral, but they just aren't. Their editorial absolutely does have an agenda, kind of an odd one really, absolutely pro-Tory but also pro not-offending-anyone-at-all-ever-over-anything (see today's nipple saga, someone was actually paid to adjust that image, meetings were likely held, what a complete waste of time and money!)

They either need to change to what they exist for or get the fuck out. Either way, I don't see why I should have to pay the BBC £12 a month for stuff I don't watch. I could use that £12 a month (£144 a year ffs) to buy the DVD of what I am interested in and still come home with plenty of change.

Last edited:

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Edit. Honestly, for the most part (excluding the nature stuff that is already moving onto other platforms anyway) the BBC documentaries could be filmed on a phone with Mary Bird having just stepped off an easy jet to Rome, you don't watch it for the minimal production values, you watch it because she knows what she is on about, she could do that anywhere, on any platform.

I also take issue with 'lots of people around the world can access it' I don't give a toss what the rest of the world get out of the BBC, they don't have to pay £12 a month for it, I realise that broken English Channel probably isn't a big hitter when it comes to the budget but as a UK publicly funded institution, not an international body, I literally don't see why I should have to be forced to pay for it.

Last edited:

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I was a defender of the license fee for a long time, but very much agree with Raven now. The entertainment world is chaging, and the BBC needs to change to reflect that. I'd be in favour of a reduced license fee to pay for an ad free BBC online service.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I was a defender of the license fee for a long time, but very much agree with Raven now. The entertainment world is chaging, and the BBC needs to change to reflect that. I'd be in favour of a reduced license fee to pay for an ad free BBC online service.

Yup, 100% agree, out of habit the BBC website is my go-to for news headlines, if it's something I care about then I will dig deeper, elsewhere. Their editorial needs a lot of attention, as a public body they need to report every single story without an opinion. I want to know what happened and when and to whom, I don't want or need the journalists personal opinion about it, especially when it's that stupid fuck Kuenssberg chocking as she gobbles down Tory bullshit.

I would rather not spend £12 a month on that, thanks.

But unfortunately I have to...for long dead reasons.

Gwadien

If you use your Sky through the internet you don't have to pay for it though do you?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
If you use your Sky through the internet you don't have to pay for it though do you?

What do you mean? I still have to pay Sky every month to watch Sky TV on the TV, or on Sky go (which is wank btw). Regardless of whether I continue to pay the licence fee.

*obviously I could stream most of it through various nefarious websites with varying picture quality...but who has the time to fuck about with that these days? Either way, it's just easier to throw sky 'some money' each month to keep it working.

But yeah, it's a choice, I can pay for it, or I can choose not to. You don't get that choice with the BBC, you could never watch or use the BBC ever again and still have to pay them £12 a month to watch Sky, I'm sorry, that just doesn't work for me, and to be fair, shouldn't even be an issue. If for whatever reason (valid or not) I decide I don't want to watch the BBC any more then I should be allowed to just fuck it off and not pay for it any more.

Last edited:

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why would I pay the BBC for stuff I don't want out of choice?
I bet you listen to 5 live for the footie.

It's £13/month for the beeb. That's all the local and national radio stations (including many minority interest stations), world class science and natural world programming, the news you hate (local, regional and global, including in foreign parts), the TV channels we rarely watch along with original programming and our random propaganda pumped around the world.

The lack of advertising on the beeb is probably what holds back US-style advertising on the rest of the UK channels (have you watched ITV recently? Wow. It's astonishing how bad it's become).

The news service gets decried by the right for being too leftie and the lefties decry it for being way too right wing. In actuality - it's a bit like the Democrats - they're not actually leftie at all, the left of US politics is a little bit to the left of the Tories, and that's where the BBC resides (so, actually firmly on the right if you look at it globally).

It's rapidly losing it's impartiality by successive governments, both Labour and the Tories, deliberately scuppering it and mandating how "balance" is put into it's programming. Because of that it's a reflection of political will, rather than free programming - and therefore pretty fucking bland. (In todays world it can't be seen to take a risk and get it wrong - look at how it's retrospectively censoring fawlty towers and the likes).

But honestly. £13/month. I can get two pints and a glass of wine for that in a pub. That lasts me about twenty minutes. The Attenborough thing I watched last night was an hour long and really good. And there's 5 more of them alone I think.

Edit:
If anything, I'd ditch Amazon Prime because there's only the Expanse that's worth watching - so if it wasn't for the saving on delivery charges I wouldn't even bother. If you ditch that, then the Beeb's about a fiver.

Fuck sky. It's fucking shit.

Netflix is worth it if you're skanking off someone in your family's account and maybe splitting the cost between you.

Aoami

I am a FH squatter

It's £13/month for the beeb. That's all the local and national radio stations (including many minority interest stations), world class science and natural world programming, the news you hate (local, regional and global, including in foreign parts), the TV channels we rarely watch along with original programming and our random propaganda pumped around the world.

The lack of advertising on the beeb is probably what holds back US-style advertising on the rest of the UK channels (have you watched ITV recently? Wow. It's astonishing how bad it's become).

The news service gets decried by the right for being too leftie and the lefties decry it for being way too right wing. In actuality - it's a bit like the Democrats - they're not actually leftie at all, the left of US politics is a little bit to the left of the Tories, and that's where the BBC resides (so, actually firmly on the right if you look at it globally).

It's rapidly losing it's impartiality by successive governments, both Labour and the Tories, deliberately scuppering it and mandating how "balance" is put into it's programming. Because of that it's a reflection of political will, rather than free programming - and therefore pretty fucking bland. (In todays world it can't be seen to take a risk and get it wrong - look at how it's retrospectively censoring fawlty towers and the likes).

But honestly. £13/month. I can get two pints and a glass of wine for that in a pub. That lasts me about twenty minutes. The Attenborough thing I watched last night was an hour long and really good. And there's 5 more of them alone I think.

Edit:
If anything, I'd ditch Amazon Prime because there's only the Expanse that's worth watching - so if it wasn't for the saving on delivery charges I wouldn't even bother. If you ditch that, then the Beeb's about a fiver.

Netflix is worth it if you're skanking off someone in your family's account and maybe splitting the cost between you.

Netflix, Sky and AP are worth it because the quality of program they carry is so much better than BBC these days. All I watch on the BBC now is Only Connect. I do listen to the radio every now and again, and I do use the BBC website. I'd happily pay for those. Not sure why I should have to pay for the TV service when I use it once a week for about 10 weeks a year. Compare it to the NHS... I barely use that either but im happy to pay, because one day i'm sure I will need it for something more serious, family members need it etc etc - It's something that benefits everyone. What does the BBC offer for £13 that benefits everyone?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Nope, why would I? I have sky sports and we don't even own a radio except for my wind up, that is in 'the stash'. Even driving I would rather listen to music.

Couldn't give the remotest fuck about local or special interest radio stations, are they even a thing since the invention of the internet?! and if they are a thing, what's that got to do with the BBC? Local news consists of some kid grew his sunflower slightly bigger than everyone elses to a mish mash of what I already know but with a regional slant. The science and natural world stuff has as long as Attenborough has left. Couldn't give a fuck about minority radio stations (whatever the fuck they are) in the same way I couldn't give a fuck about minority TV shows (in as far as they are welcome to do whatever they like, I just don't want to pay for them)

granted, but £12 a month to avoid adverts, really? I don't see any adverts on netflix...

They shouldn't exist left or right, they should report what has happened, when and to whom, with zero political opinion, everyone pays for them, regardless of political bias

Agreed, it's a long dead institution that has not aged well at all, time to either fix it or get rid. Either way, it should be my choice as to whether I pay for it.

OK, I paid £50 for Cyberpunk the other week and got about 5 hours out of it... would not do again. The cost is irrelevent, it's the priciple. If I no longer wish to watch/interact/consume/whatever you want to call it then I should not have to pay for it, BBC or not.

Edit:
No, the BBC still remains £12, regardless of what you get out of it.

Sky for the most part is shit, yes but you can't get sky sports and movies without sky and at the end of the day, it's a choice. I could choose not to pay sky a single penny and still watch other channels, legally, not so much with the BBC. Amazon Prime is about right and I imagine they have spent a massive amount of money on working out the right price point for their completely optional content (that includes all the delivery benefits). You don't have to pay for prime if you don't use prime. I can choose not to pay for prime yet still expect delivery from other companies/couriers. Put it this way, would you pay Amazon £12 a month to legally allow you to order from other websites, ofc you fucking wouldn't. Why are the BEEB any different?

Netflix is fine, and entirely optional.

Last edited:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Not a Max but still potentially another disaster for Boeing.

" Flight tracking website Flightradar24.com said the aircraft had lost more than 3,000m (10,000ft) in altitude in less than a minute."

10,000 in LESS than a minute? that fucker must have went nose first down for it to lose that much altitude so quickly.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The new cadburys egg advert with two gays guys kissing and breaking the egg in their mouths, then pulling apart with the stringy white of the egg connecting their lips in a shameless sexual reference to semen is either horrifying me or giving me a homoerotic boner.

Jesus I can never eat a chocolate egg again.

View: https://youtu.be/MfykcmIAwx4

Gwadien

The new cadburys egg advert with two gays guys kissing and breaking the egg in their mouths, then pulling apart with the stringy white of the egg connecting their lips in a shameless sexual reference to semen is either horrifying me or giving me a homoerotic boner.

Jesus I can never eat a chocolate egg again.

View: https://youtu.be/MfykcmIAwx4

Yet I'm sure if it was two women and people complained about it you'd post it here saying WTF?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Too scared to have an opinion.

Thats our future.

You can have an opinion, people can say it's wrong, in their opinion. That is called freedom.

Having said that, it's 2021, is having a problem with 'teh gays' still a thing?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Kind of reminded me of a letter in the latest issue of Viz, something along the lines of

Top Tip: Bigots, get over your problems with gay marriage by politely saying no when asked by a homosexual to marry them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom