SPAM This thread is for random spam!!

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Well, the idea that water wasn't drank at all is obviously false, but it doesn't disprove that beer wasn't drank in more quantities than water.

I also have a degree, specifically in medieval history, so I'm an expert, therefore I'm right and you're wrong, you nazi.
Not sure I would be that proud of such an impracticable degree but nm oO

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Why not? We need experts in all fields.

The view that history or the arts isn't worth as much as science or engineering is very Thatcherite. (She said as much)

If we were scrabbling in the dirt and needed science/engineering to fulfil our basic needs of life then I'd agree - but we don't - and the arts and humanities are a reason to live. Science and engineering have given us all the tools we need to survive - we're just not using them. The others are the reasons to use those tools in the first place - our culture is the thing science needs to save :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Read the link.

It's widely thought that was the case, but wrong.

That link is hardly evidence, and there's a ton of evidence for beer and watered wine as staples going back to the Egyptians. And the article itself acknowledges that beer was also a food source. There's also the matter of location; Londoners absolutely did not drink the water even though they were receiving piped water as early as the 1600s; Samuel Pepys mentions it in his diaries (mainly because the impact of Charles II taxing beer, which inadvertently led to gin for breakfast...), where he indicates he wouldn't even wash in the stuff, preferring water imported from Holland!

Yoni

Why not? We need experts in all fields.

The view that history or the arts isn't worth as much as science or engineering is very Thatcherite. (She said as much)
I am pro early Thatcher as you know ;). I do not dismiss the need for education in the humanities / arts - I do not however think that “some” degrees from either subject lead to a job unless another topic is studied afterwards to convert it to something more practical like teacher training. Alternatively you can work in a library, bookshop or art supplies shop - all of which although valuable roles can be done without 4 years higher education.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
So the coronavirus is just a respiratory virus like the flu and like all flus is mainly killing people with poor immune systems.

The vast majority of people infected barely get a sniffle.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
So the coronavirus is just a respiratory virus like the flu and like all flus is mainly killing people with poor immune systems.

And your proof of this is....?

DaGaffer

So? Its still killing people. Or are people with poor immune systems untermenschen in your little world? Like all new viruses of this type the problem is we don't know anything about how contagious it is or how dangerous; at the moment it has a 3% mortality rate (regular flu has 1%) but, because as you rightly point our a lot of people may barely get a sniffle, there might be a lot of unaccounted cases out there which would bring the percentage down. But until we know the real infection spread it makes sense to work on the 3% rate, which is statistically a pretty nasty virus.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I am pro early Thatcher as you know ;). I do not dismiss the need for education in the humanities / arts - I do not however think that “some” degrees from either subject lead to a job unless another topic is studied afterwards to convert it to something more practical like teacher training. Alternatively you can work in a library, bookshop or art supplies shop - all of which although valuable roles can be done without 4 years higher education.

I'll go tell my mates with history degrees that their careers in law are wasted then.

Job

So? Its still killing people. Or are people with poor immune systems untermenschen in your little world? Like all new viruses of this type the problem is we don't know anything about how contagious it is or how dangerous; at the moment it has a 3% mortality rate (regular flu has 1%) but, because as you rightly point our a lot of people may barely get a sniffle, there might be a lot of unaccounted cases out there which would bring the percentage down. But until we know the real infection spread it makes sense to work on the 3% rate, which is statistically a pretty nasty virus.
Exactly, the real percentage is more than likely to be the same 1%.
Media hysteria like this just leads to people fretting over Chinese people.

Yoni

I'll go tell my mates with history degrees that their careers in law are wasted then.
I assume they did a law degree after - needed to study for the bar? If so my point exactly oO

Attachments

• 7765ED73-772D-4DF6-A151-4B2F24D1B9F9.jpeg
    7765ED73-772D-4DF6-A151-4B2F24D1B9F9.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 6

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Education for education's sake is valuable in it's own right.

Apart from being important to enrich the life of the student it enriches us all, every day.

Ask yourself this: who do you like to hang out with? People who know fuck all, or people with interest?

Education offers way more societal value than being a poop-tube churning out drones for the jobs market.

Last edited:

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Oh well as long as it's only killing vulnerable people.

DaGaffer

We don't know its 1% yet. Scientific method. Look it up.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is there literally nothing you cannot be a cunt over?

Thankfully health authorities aren't cunts. They don't work on maybes - they gather evidence.

And right now the evidence with the symptomatic is that it's a cunt of a virus.

Not as big of a cunt as you tho.

Job

Is there literally nothing you cannot be a cunt over?

Thankfully health authorities aren't cunts. They don't work on maybes - they gather evidence.

And right now the evidence with the symptomatic is that it's a cunt of a virus.

Not as big of a cunt as you tho.
Im not referring to health authorities, the media love to big up a story, most people think this is some zombie virus that kills on contact.

Latest estimates are at least 500K people infected.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Are you qualified to make that assessment @Job?

What if it turns out to be wrong? "Oh sorry, we didn't take action and thousands died as a result when we could have prevented it".

Since Brexit you've turned from twat with redeemable features to world-class arsehole.

The experts are managing this in the correct fashion.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Im not referring to health authorities, the media love to big up a story, most people think this is some zombie virus that kills on contact.

Notice that with the flu, they don't tend to shut down entire public transport networks and deploys thousands of workers to build hospitals in days.

dysfunction

FH is my second home

When you say most people you really mean just you.

Job

Education for education's sake is valuable in it's own right.

Apart from being important to enrich the life of the student it enriches us all, every day.

Ask yourself this: who do you like to hang out with? People who know fuck all, or people with interest?

Education offers way more societal value than being a poop-tube churning out drones for the jobs market.
I dont think most people go to uni so they can have interesting dinner conversations.
They go for lifetime debt...a job below the 22K threshold and the ever decreasing chance of being the only person in the room with a degree.

Job

Ok heres a graph.
Obviously based on very early info...this may be some freak version..its not showing that yet.

3gc9lhqizbd41.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So right up there with Spanish Flu eh? - that killed between 20-50 million people.

FIFTY MILLION.

It's no good posting graphs @Job, if you lack the education to understand what the data means.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Ok heres a graph.
Obviously based on very early info...this may be some freak version..its not showing that yet.

3gc9lhqizbd41.jpg
Don't share something if it backs up what the people you're arguing with claim. Even looking quickly you can see that it's higher than one and if you goto their site and hover over 2019-nCoV you'll see the "percent who die" is 3.

Also, you know that if 1m people get infected, 3% of that is more people than if 100 get infected, right?

Job

I dont understand?
I said it was the frickin flu..people die every year in the UK at those rates from the flu.
It takes out the weak.
As I said the media are bigging it up as some supervirus.

Frickin bird flu was a proper killer.

Job

So right down there with Spanish Flu eh? - that killed between 20-50 million people.

FIFTY MILLION.

It's no good posting graphs @Job, if you lack the education to understand what the data means.

Fixed it for you.

DaGaffer

Ok heres a graph.

3gc9lhqizbd41.jpg

You do understand the Y axis is a log scale right? So it’s currently at 3%. The probability is the death rate will drop for the reasons discussed above, but the possibility is that the infection rate increases and the disease mutates with contagion, which is what happened with SARS, which comes from the same family of viruses. The point is we don’t know yet, so caution, and extensive media coverage, is prudent. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

It’s also worth noting that at the time of SARS just 30m Chinese went overseas per year, now its touching 200m

Job

Thats exactly what I said.

Early data ..showing no signs of mutation yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom