this is just sex

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi Big G

Yes, it is gorgeous. But it also happens to be one of - if not the most - expensive desktop sets, coming in at around £170. Regardless of its looks and functionality, that's just insane :) I believe Xavier has one at the moment and, understandably, raved about it the last I heard from him :D

Time to start saving!

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
Oh I'm a sucker for good looking PC bits,

I'm prepared to pay the price :(. Thing is, i love the wired MX500 and i'm concerned about noticeable lag on the bluetooth MX900.

G

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
I dont like that particular model, too square in my opinion. And if you learnt anything from the desk thread big g, is that most people with wireless peripherals dont notice lag, only the ones with wired peripherals claim we do.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
I must admit, I love pretty PC components too, and in fairness the diNovo does have a whole host of features :) What's this about lag, however? I must admit I've never strayed from wired mice, but from the reviews of Microsoft's wireless Intellimice and the MX700 (and MX900, I would guess) the issue of latency is rarely an issue.

So are you thinking of investing in the diNovo, then? (lucky man :D)

Kind Regards

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
i dont get it whats so good bout that key board?i mean if you want a black one you could just spray it black

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
stubbyrulz said:
i dont get it whats so good bout that key board?i mean if you want a black one you could just spray it black
Hello

First off, it's a keyboard and mouse combination. It's also completely wireless, and uses an exciting (depending on who you believe) technology called Bluetooth. It also features a detachable keypad which doubles as a remote control for certain applications, as well as a raft of other features. Don't get me wrong, I don't believe it adds up to ~£170, but it is prettymuch the most advanced keyboard and mouse combination available :)

Kind Regards

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
o i thought it was just a key board with the num pad cut off still would pay 180£ for it though

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
stubbyrulez, most people dont like standard keyboards, nearly everyone has there own preference.

old.user4556

RandomBastard said:
I dont like that particular model, too square in my opinion. And if you learnt anything from the desk thread big g, is that most people with wireless peripherals dont notice lag, only the ones with wired peripherals claim we do.

I knew I couldn't get through this thread without you posting purely to drag this this up :rolleyes:

Jont,

Yes, it's pretty pricey at ~£180, but the media pad would be great for controlling the PC / Media Player from the comfort of the armchair. I understand there are cheaper remote control alternatives, but the whole package is incredibly stylish and wireless. One thing that frustrates me about watching DVDs from the PC is not being able to pause it or skip chapters from far away. Since my PC is effectively my media centre as well as gaming, this is perfect for me and matches my current decor.

G

Clown

Part of the furniture
Would you be able to stick the numpad back onto the main keyboard? I use arrow keys for FPS games and the numpad is vital for my survival! Looks nice though... wouldn't fork out that much money for just a keyboard and mouse.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
If you can afford it, then go for it Big G, it's certainly amazing kit :) I'd check out some reviews first, just to see if there are any common complaints about it. Otherwise, go for it :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Amazon (who are surprising great for certain keyboard prices) sell the diNovo for £149.99, which is a good saving.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I'm not saying that wireless components dont look great, and ignoring any lag arguments with the mice, I just cant get around having to use batteries for my keyboard and mouse!

old.user4556

Ch3tan said:
I'm not saying that wireless components dont look great, and ignoring any lag arguments with the mice, I just cant get around having to use batteries for my keyboard and mouse!

That's a good point, it takes 6xAA batteries for the keyboard.

Imagine that for an excuse when you die at CS. Instead of "ffs lag" it'll be "ffs the batteries ran out on my keyboard".

But then, you couldn't type that cos the batteries had ran out, or quit to the desktop, or pretty much anything without replacing them ;).

Hmmmm...

G

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Big G said:
I knew I couldn't get through this thread without you posting purely to drag this this up :rolleyes:

I have a dream, and in that dream i see the desktop being furnished entirly by wireless. I see keyboard and mice and mics all bluetooth, i see tft screens powered by a cradle and batteries so there portable. I see wireless printers and i see wireless speakers. I have a dream today.

:p

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
And with all the bluetooth in your dream, I see deep fried brain cells too.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Six batteries certainly is a lot :( I believe the mouse recharges itself in its cradle, though, so that's something :)

Do you know if recharagable batteries perform as well? I recall totting up the expense of buying some proprietary rechargable batteries and a charger for something, against the cost of supplying it with 2x AA batteries for a year. Turns out I could have saved myself around £1,000 :)

Kind Regards

old.user4556

Rechargables will no doubt be fine (although AA recharge batteries are 1.25v as opposed to 1.5v iirc?), but you'd need 12 to rotate them for when 6 run out mid cpl final ;).

edit ~ 4 for the keyboard and 2 for the media pad

Might have made sense to have a battery pack in it that you could plug a charger into. That may inflate the price even more however :(.

Decisions eh.

G

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Big G said:
Rechargables will no doubt be fine (although AA recharge batteries are 1.25v as opposed to 1.5v iirc?), but you'd need 12 to rotate them for when 6 run out mid cpl final ;).
The voltage difference is rarely an issue due to the way the voltage degrades over time in different batteries. Standard Alkaline AAs tend to drop from 1.5V to about 0.9V over their lifetime, so you're rarely actually getting 1.5V anyway. Rechargables tend to stay at around 1.2V till they die, then they just drop off suddenly. Which means it's harder to tell how long you have left on a rechargable. Also rechargables work better under high current drain than alkaline batteries (as in you get more of the available capacity).

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
One of those in silver to match all my other bits would indeed be sexhei, but batteries = :(.

PR.

Fledgling Freddie
I was looking at these, but I couldn't justify the price. In the end I got the MS Wireless Desktop Elite at only £51. Its has a nice soft 'leatherette' palmrest :)

The only problem I have with it is that the mouses wheel doesn't work correctly when used over a KVM, its documented problem in the help file, so I have to keep my old mouse around for my 2nd PC.

I still have one of the old MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorers v1 (that I used at work), now THAT ate batteries and it was a pain in the arse to use :( I recently replaced with it with the v2 and I think in a year I will make my money back on the batteries I save :)

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
The wonderthing thing with the MX700/900 mice is that - as Jonty says - they charge from the cradle. I've never had the batteries run out on me, since it makes sense to put it back in the dock when I move away from the PC.

Keyboards are more difficult, finding the space to dock them is rather more challenging than a mouse. Personally, I'd see the simplest way being that you could plug a cable into the keyboard while you're using it close to a power source, and then just unplug when you want to use it at distance, and have the numpad plug into the keyboard and charge in a 'daisy chain' manner. Wireless keyboards are nice, but the way I see it, you'll make use of the wirelessness notably less than that of a mouse (for which unwiring is a great improvement to usability [after you get used to the weight]).

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
ive got an MX700 and have had the batteries run out on me during a 2 hours period (i know cos I have a 2hr cutoff on dialup)

Good thing is that I also have a digitial camera which charges another 2 batteries which I can hot swap into the MX700.

Annoying when it runs out during CS tho.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I always find it quite funny that people buy these almost 'bespoke' peripherals, singing the praises of their beauty, and then proceed to plonk the whole thing down on an MFI mahogany desk in front of their paisley carpet.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I was slightly misled into clicking this thread :(

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Wij said:
I was slightly misled into clicking this thread :(
You in the nerdy world of the Tech forum Wij, things are not as they seem.

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
RandomBastard said:
I have a dream, and in that dream i see the desktop being furnished entirly by wireless. I see keyboard and mice and mics all bluetooth, i see tft screens powered by a cradle and batteries so there portable. I see wireless printers and i see wireless speakers. I have a dream today.

:p
There is a perceptable lag in many of todays wireless products - the MX900 and for that matter, the whole of the diNovo is almost entirely lag-free however.

Xav

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Jonty said:
Six batteries certainly is a lot :( I believe the mouse recharges itself in its cradle, though, so that's something :)

Do you know if recharagable batteries perform as well? I recall totting up the expense of buying some proprietary rechargable batteries and a charger for something, against the cost of supplying it with 2x AA batteries for a year. Turns out I could have saved myself around £1,000 :)

Kind Regards
It's 4 batteries in the keyboard, 2 in the media pad... so far mine have lasted 2 months and still going strong. There are two other batteries which are rechargable and go into the mouse.

Xav

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom